8700k/8600k owners thread (I know the irony)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Loophole35, Oct 17, 2017.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Looking at upgrading my i7 990x, to a 8700k, which is the best air cooling to use? I currently use a Thermaltake silver arrow, and it does a really good job with the 990x overclocked to 4.5Ghz. Could this cooler be used on the 8700k? Would like to over clock to 5GHz, if possible

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Noctua D15. Hands down.

3. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Which is almost the same as the silver arrow, problem is Noctua products are not easily available in South Africa

4. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i'm running 8700K @ 4.7Ghz with a Noctua nh-d15 (without delid and i used arctic silver paste in a thermaltake core x9).
    runs great and i could even overclock to 4.8 or maybe even higher (for gaming, not for benchmarks)
    but i don't need higher speeds right now.

while gaming (with a lot of different recent games and the heavier emulators) it rarely went close to or beyond 60°C @ 4.7 Ghz on all cores.
    with some benchmarks it went towards 75°C and even beyond but that was with a 100% workload on all cores (wich will rarely happen in real life usage)
    While i was doing some video re-encoding i only use 10 threads and it went just a little beyond 60°C...
    i'm also running 32Gb Ram @ 3200Mhz (and the RAM never went over 45°C except in the ram stress tests wich are stupid unrealistic worst case scenarios so they don't matter much)

With my gtx1070 being the "slowest" component at this moment...
    all games run great @1440P 60FPS Solid (without AA, DSR, and no BLUR or depth of field because i hate blur and most depth of field effects)
    and even a lot of games run fairly well @ 2160P/true 4K (but the 1070 is bottlenecking me for the moment)

so i'm good for a couple of years if i upgrade my GPU in a year or 2...

My vote also goes to noctua nh-d15 if you want AIR and have room for the height of the cooler....
    i have room to spare in my core x9 but a lot of case could give issues...

look at this example and see if it fits your case/setup
    http://cdn.overclock.net/e/ef/450x700px-LL-efa63b68_NH-D15meas69mmRAM.jpeg

5. BongoWongo

BongoWongo New Member

GPU:
    Titan XP 12gb
    Noctua D15 all the way. Used it in my previous 4770k set up and my new current 8700k set up.

Guys, please take the time to check out and help if you can my thread https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/8700k-only-using-1-to-4-cores-in-bf4-pubg.418127/

superpeoper you should check that all your cores are being used in gaming as mine aren't :( Also delid your 8700k as I did mine, it's really hard to break if done correctly and the gains are worth the risk. I'm at 5,150ghz passing benchmarks but in gaming only 1 to 4, more common only 1 to 2 cores are being used, please see my thread link above for better explaination.

6. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    @BongoWongo
    i come from a i7 920 running @3.7 with my GTX1070
    i noticed almost 0 difference in a lot of my games except loading times being a little bit shorter and u few fps more compared to my "old" setup....

it is common knowledge that most games use between 1 to 4 cores due to bad optimisation...

Based in that: an overclocked i5 is more than enough in a lot of scenarios (and cheaper than an overkill 8700K)
    I also think that i5 has a bigger market share in the more budget minded gaming PC's (just my guessing...)
    It is also somewhat common knowledge that most games available on multiple platforms are craptacular ports....
    90% of the time these games are severely unoptimised for the more modern PC's (biggest reason why they use only 1 to 4 cores)

i can tell you this from a personal experience (from 2 days ago)
    Most people don't need a monster PC any more for 1080P 60FPS gaming....
    you just need a bit of understanding of what can improve performance on your own setup and adjust ingame settings accordingly...
    i used an i3 @ 4,2Ghz across all cores with DDR4 @2400 and a GTX 770 (a friends living room PC) and was still able to run all tested games at nearly max settings @1080P (with disabled depth of field, disabled blur, forced disabled AA, forced V-sync and no DSR)
    few examples: borderlands trilogy, the dead space games, the forza games, the crew, nfs 2015, neverwinter MMO, skyrim with all kinds of mods......... (even PCSX2 ran great and CEMU ran acceptable)

However i myself did the upgrade to 8700K mostly to future proof a bit with the extra cores, usb3, ddr4 etc (and i still use my i7 for other stuff)
    And i also wanted to have a newer toy.... (boys remain boys in that regard no matter how old they are...)

i myself finished the last 2 tomb raider games (in full 4K) and they both used more than 4 cores but not all (i also had some other things running in the background and the workload for the cpu was mostly spread across the cores....)

7. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    Yay I thought I was the only one with a 8700k lol.
    I’ve upgraded a few weeks ago from a bottom of the barrel high voltage 3770@4.6ghz to a awful 4770k overclocked to 4.5 that was never properly stable I blame the internal voltage regulator that made it a awful platform for overclocking.

As I build used pcs regularly and resell them I have a der8auer delid tool so have already delidded with liquid metal with a 5.1ghz overclock @auto voltage basically 1.36v and an upgraded Corsair h110 which topped out at 82C in the first 2 weeks of being setup.
    I refuse to run 24hr benchmarks but have done plenty of blender and 3ds max renders and assassins creed origins in the last couple of weeks to be happy with my overclock.
    I’ve found this cpu isn’t stable this week due to the higher temperatures as the cool labs liquid pro seems to have dried out a little Much faster than I’d have expected. I’ve also noticed that my rad isn’t even getting hot when I first set this up even though I know the liquid metal application is good so I’m putting that down to the thicker ihs this has over my previous cpus.

I've got a stable overclock with some extra voltage even if the temperatures are too high so very happy with this upgrade.
    I intend on replacing my liquid pro liquid metal with the thermal grizzly version that has much better specs according to the manufacturer and good feedback, hopefully it wont dry out the same.
    I'm also hoping der8auer or someone else will make upgraded silver IHS slugs available to buy on there down

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Started playing around with my overclock yesterday. Using offset to overclock I had to apply -.170v and the non offset voltage is 1.5V. There was someone in here earlier that was having a fit with this. Anyway I got my voltage strait and found I can get 5-5.2Ghz but I’m needing 1.36-1.4v for that and the temps are too high at anything over 1.36v so for now until I delid I’m at 4.8Ghz 1.32V, 4.2Ghz cache with my RAM at 3600Mhz (will try to clock the RAM higher later).

9. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    What model is the Mobo you’re running?
    I’m on a Asus z370-f and having issues with the voltage setting. I’m noticing in cpu-z that the voltage is is dipping down to 1.328v under load even with the voltage set to 1.42v with load line calibration set to level 6 and cpu power phase control set to extreme.

10. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    So bios updated load like calibration is kicking in now I’m getting more load voltage with lower manual voltages

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’m running a mITX STRIX board. I loaded the latest BIOS before even installing Windows.

The thermal paste that comes pre-applied on my Corsair h100i must be total crap. Gonna use all Thermal Grizzly when I delid. The LM under the IHS and the non-conductive paste on top. Hop to drop my temps by about 20°C that should give me headroom for the 5.1Ghz 24/7 clock.

12. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    P
    its really cool you got those kinds of overclocks on an ITX motherboard. My experience of the mini itx overclocking on the 1155 platform wasn’t great due to lack of options and inferior VRMS vs the bargain bucket atx equivalent, also I had 4 boards from gigabyte and Asus and all of those failed and the faults weren’t vrm related.
    Obviously my experience doesn’t reflect all z series itx boards but my opinion was tainted by those z77 boards.

I’ve actually replaced my z370 board already as the first one wouldn’t wake from sleep even on stock clocks. I did update the first one when I got it to the same latest bios but overclocking got worse, so when I got my replacement board I used the same setup with auto voltage and found 5.1ghz to be stable when liquid pro was first installed.

When I bought my z370 I went for the manufacturer I’ve traditionally found to be best since Conroe with the best vrms I could afford since I want the best overclocks possible on a board that is likely going to work just as well overclocking the 9th gen Octo cores in 2018.

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So I wasn't quite "satisfied" with my OC and after reading around on different forums on batches binning etc, I went back to bios and started from scratch.

1st run: 1.25v fixed@5GHz Prime 26.6 1344k running a bit over 30mins now. :D

Ram at 2133 and all else on auto (1v IO/ 1.06v SA hwinfo64)

Edit: Enabled XMP, set ram to 3600, upped VCCIO/SA and testing again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Mind sharing some of your findings on the batch numbers?

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Update:

1st run: 30mins 1.25v fixed@5GHz Prime 26.6 1344k
    2nd run: 30mins 1.30v fixed@5.1GHz Prime 26.6 1344k

Ram at 2133 and all else on auto (1v IO/ 1.06v SA hwinfo64) and I just quickly tested for 30mins only since I havent enabled xmp or upped the ram clocks yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't really looking for anything specific about batches, just some OC scores to compare with clocks/ram similar to mine when in one of the threads I came across I saw my batch number and got the idea to re-test my cpu.

But I did saw some batch numbers(L729 and L730) coming up repeatedly as "good" ones over Hardwareluxx.

The aforementioned thread is ~here~. Quite a nice list on front page.

Funny note: All 8700k listings above 5GHz are all delidded. :p

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Because it's impossible to cool otherwise.
    With air cooling, 5G without AVX would be my personal limit. Works fine delidded, might already be really tough or impossible to test with regular TIM (at least within a case).

17. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    If this is actually stable very nice but you're cooler looks terrible 2198rpm and a misreported 4787rpm those will be far too loud

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    The only noise coming from the pc is from the D5 pump. :p

19. alphadogg

alphadogg Member

GPU:
    Evga 660 ti
    Oh right because 2k plus rpm is pretty loud

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Deliding will be happening likely later this month. But I can’t seem to find a delid tool in stock anymore.

Any news when Intel Extreme Tuining Utility will be updates for CL?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017