8700k/8600k owners thread (I know the irony)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Loophole35, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Case is here. It’s a little bigger than I expected.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    can you try put voltage to adaptive mode and leave auto or +0.010 or 0.0001 in offset to adaptive
    and put your voltage (1.27V) as you want and report the voltage here at desktop. thanks man..

is it safe run prosesor at manual voltage as it never drop to powersaving stage the voltage

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    Well, it's a tough choice, especially as voltages can go all over the place with the largely different load situations. I still prefer to use these tests as then, I can always be sure the machine will run as "smoothly" as with default values. I used my 2600k for the better part of 5 years and never had an issue with it.

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    Just a little tip. You can take screenshots from uefi bios by having a usb drive inserted and pressing F12.

5. erocker

erocker Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Same boat here. Im currently running voltage on offset -.050 4.7 all core, it gives me 1.24v under load and it seems to work for now.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I said that on a blind date one time...:p

Slam likes this.
  7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay this case is a pain in the dick to build in.

8. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    And what voltage you set above the offset Auto?

9. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    @yosef019
    I changed these settings:
    svid behavior : best-case scenario
    cpu core/cashe voltage: adaptive mode
    offset mode sign: +
    additional turbo mode cpu core voltage: auto
    offset voltage: 1.250
    cpu load-line calibration: level 7
    IA AC load line: 0.01
    IA DC load line: 0.01

During Prime 95 4th stress test for 30 minutes give or take a minute
    CPUID HWMonitor gave these values
    VCORE 1.312 V
    VID 1.284 V
    Cpu temp was 86°C for a very short moment and this is 2°C lower then with previous settings.
    (and it was at the same room temp as during previous test)
    I guess i lowered my temps a small bit (2° Profit) and it is still stable...

@Radical_53
    i have my i7 920 running @3.7 Ghz since first week it was available.
    And my i7 2600K is still running @4.0 Ghz after the second week of it becoming available.
    (With both the "old" beasts i only did half hour stress tests with prime 95 after the overclock and never had any issues except for a few dvd drives that died over the years)

Just noticed that my CPU keeps running at 4.7 and does not switch to slower frequencies...
    VCore Drops as low as 0.304V when idle (with only bit defender and corsair cue software and msi afterburner running in the background)
    VID remains @1.284V
    Temps idle around 30°C so those are normal
    the CPU just does not clock down on its own....

Any idea wich setting i need to change?
    C states are all enabled, intel speedstep is enabled...
    What am i forgetting.....?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    Yes, but the overclock is also very mild. Of course the probability to run into trouble is very slim then. If you want to reach a nice overclock, you also need to test it. Very simple.

11. superpoeper

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    the overclock is rather mild indeed...
    i'm on aircooling and i don't want to destroy my newest toy.... that's the reason i don't clock it higher or plan to delid it....

so any wisdom as to why my CPU keeps running at 4.7 and does not switch to slower frequencies...?
    i can't find an answer on this....

@Radical_53
    does your 8700K downclock itself when idle...? mind posting some of your bios settings that make sure your CPU does that?

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    What power plan are you using in windows?

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Check Windows Power Plan and if "Balanced" is already selected make sure in "Advanced settings" of the Plan the "Processor power management->Minimum Processor state" is not 100% or if even if any suspicious programs are running in the background.

Also make sure C-States and SpeedStep in the Bios are enabled etc.

You can post some Bios screenshots if you wish to help identify the culprit.

-----------------------------------------

My Asrock Z370 Extreme 4 with his new buddy. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    -Tj- and airbud7 like this.
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Windows installed. NVMe drives are so damn fast. I've never installed windows and updated it that fast. I need to spend some more time in BIOS to get the RAM running at the proper speed and see if I can get the processor to around 4.9-5Ghz.

I will post some pics when I get a chance.

BTW edge was being a little bitch and trying to block me from installing chrome.

airbud7 and Slam like this.
  15. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Nice! Keep us posted!

LOL!

airbud7 likes this.

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    Yes, clocks & voltages are fully dynamic on my system (never worked on my last AMD system).
    Just use voltage on either "auto" or "offset" in bios, keep the c-states alive and use something like the "balanced" power plan as others stated already (or, if you use a different plan, make sure the minimum CPU % is below a certain value, so not 90% or so).

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Microsoft store downloads so slow. Trying to get Forza Horizon 3 and Forza 7 downloaded now.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    8700K purring along at 5.0ghz, with Asus Maximus X Hero, and 16gb GSkill 4000. Everything runs better over my old Ivy Bridge 6 core. I would have bought the H100i cooler, if I had the case for it. But the H80i is getting the job done.
    [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.
  19. superpoeper

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    On my previous build (i7 920) i used a minimum processor state @100% for certain emulation issues i used to have. i did the same with the 8700K build out of habit....

i also found the other culprits/reasons my 8700K was not clocking itself down when idle...

I changed the minimum processor state to 5% like in the stock "balanced" power profile within windows
    AND then only if i disable the folowing programs it would downclock itself noticably...
    Corsair Utility Engine (the CUE software used for my corsair scimitar rgb mouse the change the colours, macro's and dpi settings)
    Asus aura software (to handle the RGB Crap in my case)
    Bit defender

I cannot stop using Bit defender and the corsair CUE software so i will keep my CPU running at it's "normal" 4.7GHZ without the downclocking....

With the 3 programs disabled it downclocked itself to around 1ghz on all cores/threads but temps did not get that much lower compared to the 4.7GHZ temps when idling with the 3 programs running
    The difference was like 3 to 4°C...

20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Amazon has delayed shipping 4 times in the last week and a half lmao (I ordered on launch day). Ugh...now scheduled for next Tuesday. I got it for retail price, I'll wait. This prices it's going for when available are insane, I'm content with my 6700k until spring if it takes them that long to ship :shrugs: lol.

airbud7 likes this.