8700k/8600k owners thread (I know the irony)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Loophole35, Oct 17, 2017.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Amazon updated my order, 8700k is shipping now and will be here, Tuesday, along with some ram I bought for the new z370 board. So..I've been using the generic intel fan for my 6700k and my temps idle around 22C, can I use this fan for the new CPU? Didn't realize the new CPU came without one.

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Rather not. Even with good air cooling, my temperatures can reach 100 degrees Celsius easily while stress testing, even with standard clocks.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    22C?....you live in the Arctic?...are you an Eskimo?

GroinShooter likes this.
  4. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    RIP ASUS still didnt get bios update to maximus x hero board im curius what the hold on
    all asus z370 boards got bios update i cant even overckock my i78700K even...
    (adaptive voltage 1.5V at desktop) and all core 1.4-1.45v at load

5. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Well I've seen my 6700K idle as low as 19C at times but then again it is delidded and under a custom loop with a 360 rad. Seems pretty magical to idle around 22C with the stock cooler though.

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    Would be kinda hard to go under ambient room temperature. Then again i like it warm inside, about 23-27c since it is -6 outside..

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Temperature probes are very exact for full load temperatures, or rather: delta to maximum temperature. That's what they're made for.
    They are very inaccurate for idle temperatures though.

8. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Chicago. It gets equally as cold here. I wish I was in the Artic though. Less random flying bullets.

Temp core shows 21, 21, 22, 24 when idle. Is it accurate? We keep it at around 70F in the house, it's slightly cooler in my office where the PC is. I did just purchase a new case - what they used to refer to as "BTX" seems they stopped with that? Anyway, now having the power supply on the bottom of the case, and also, much better cable management with little contraptions in the case itself - I saw an immediate change in temps by a few Celsius.

On another note, I was just browsing more benchmarks, as far as gaming goes...when you move to 1440p which is what my monitor maxes at so, naturally, what I try to always game @. It seems there's only a 1-3fps difference between the 6700k and 8700k at that resolution. And even more negligible @ 4k. Are these gpu bottlenecks?

9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    Mostly gpu bottleneck yes. I went from 4790k@4.7 to 8700k@4.9 3440x1440@100hz. Most games i do not see any difference except minimum fps drops. Before i could get drops now and then that went under 50fps, they are all gone. But i really see it on my heavy modded fallout 4 (40+mods) and bf1 mp. I presume faster ddr4 memory also make a difference there.
    70f? No idea, have to google the imperial scales :) Good kabel managment and airflow is alpha and omega for temps.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  10. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'm all for seeing the minimums go up! That's my biggest want. Seems 21C is roughly 70F per the google.

11. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    A little update. Asrock just release a new bios for fatality gamer i7 and it is great. (1.20)
    Now i have stress tested for 20 min aida64 and it is rock solid 5ghz with max temp 78c on two cores. 1.36v do mine need. (well it did on old bios, will check later if i can go more down now).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    In case your chip (6700K) isn't overclocked and it has power states enabled (ie clocks itself down when not under load etc) then I'd say it'd be normal for it to run at ~ambient room temperature when idle - if you have a good cooler that is. Only thing that surprises me a bit is that stock cooler being able to keep it as cool. I haven't used stock coolers on neither Intel or AMD CPUs in years but I've been under the impression that Intel stock coolers haven't changed in years and are still bad. Or is it not the case anymore?

13. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    hi there
    here are my results of my new 8700K on air (Noctua NH-D15 in a thermaltake core X9) after about 15 minutes of prime 95 (third stress test option)
    [​IMG]

https://imgur.com/ZJlW56X

what are your thoughts/insights?
    are my core voltages and temperatures "normal"?

14. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    hey what motherboard you using?

15. superpoeper

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    asus Z370 ROG maximus Hero X (the non AC wifi version)
    running the 0505 bios
    build was fast fun and simple...
    bios is somewhat overwhelming with all the newer settings and differently labeled settings compared to my other "old" rigs...

(my other pc's are an i7 920 running at 3.7Ghz with a asus gtx 580 in a Coolermaster HAF XM case and i7 2600K running at 4Ghz with a gtx 770 in a Coolermaster HAF 932)

16. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    hey can you post setiing how you overclock i cant get my system oc its if i do 1.28 +0.010 adaptive its goes on desktop to 1.5V or no mater what voltage i set or adapitive offset its still goes to 1.5 asus wont help me
    can you share your bios settings?

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    15 minutes isn't very long, plus (maybe even more interesting) the 3rd option is mostly for testing RAM. You should check the last option and leave it running for 4 hours. Then you'd know more.

18. superpoeper

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    @Radical_53
    i used the last option like you mentioned temps went up towards 87-88°C after 45 minutes and it stayed there. VCore Voltage went up a little to 1.354V.

I'm not into pushing temperature limits so i stopped Prime95.
    i think it will be stable enough for all my gaming and emulation needs...
    i rarely push a cpu to 100% workload for longer then 15 minutes...

@yosef019
    i will try to take some pics of my bios settings and i will post them today or tomorrow...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  19. superpoeper

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    @yosef019
    i set my ram timings first (only the first set of values the rest was left on auto)
    Then changed the ram speed and ram Voltage.
    i also disabled some led settings (i dislike the rgb craze)
    booted into windows and did some gaming tests (without CPU overclock)

i then disabled the qfan settings so that the noctua NH-D15 Fans run at full speed because those two are connected to the motherboard (all my other fans are connected to two fan controllers i had from other builds).
    All other settings are left on auto at the moment.
    And i changed The Vcore voltage And did the overclock of 47 on all cores

https://imgur.com/VWDUstL

https://imgur.com/XrYWn1f

https://imgur.com/9TVErra

i might try lowering VCore Voltage a bit... but not today...

20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Amazon play with my heart. Said it would be here today and hasn't even shipped yet. Still says it will be here by 8pm with having not been shipped yet lol. Jerks. I need to gut my rig I just put in a new case so I can have a 2fps gain and a epenis bigger than most. Come on Amazon.