8700k/8600k owners thread (I know the irony)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Loophole35, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    On an Asrock, 1 is the "strongest" LLC... off is 5.

2. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080Ti
    indeed they were. can they do that? i thought micro had a special deal selling intels. newegg was 409 last week and i was able to buy it this week at 419 on newegg.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm not sure but considering Intel doesn't have a strict MSRP like Apple does it may be legal. I got my 8700k last Friday from newegg for $392.50 shipped after a 5% off promo.

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super

5. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I use the "Stress CPU" option in CPU-Z. Task manager shows all cores at 100%.

I'll have to give Prime95 a run.

6. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Seems like Newegg keeps bumping the price up $10 every week. lol

7. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yep...Prime95 is a different story. Popping around 90 degrees there. H80i cooler aint enough for that at long runs.

Fortunately, I don't play Prime95. :)

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah prime is a torture test and places an unrealistic load on the CPU that most users will never apply.

Slam and airbud7 like this.
  9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That's why you call it "stress testing". It may be unrealistic but it has helped me a lot in the past.
    A middle way would be perfect though, something between the official 95W and the 200W+ Prime95 may pull (not even starting about LinX, which is even worse!).

@pimpernell: I highly doubt that. My last two Asrock boards were just like this one and it's just the other way around than Asus.
    There's even a graph in the bios saying that LLC 5 is the weakest, 1 the strongest option.

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.
  10. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    I am reading the bios completely wrong ? And do you see any other settings i should change?
    [​IMG][/url] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

I plan to buy better memory when the prices goes down, now i had to make due with corsair vengeance lpx 2666 i had laying around.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/vengea...66mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2a2666c16

Edit : new picture share
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/pedropi/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You could always loop the CPU test in any of the 3D Mark benches. They place a realistic load on the CPU. Now of course if you are going to be rendering or encoding all day I suggest not overclocking at all with this CPU and just enable the all core enhancement or what ever the board you have calls it and go with that as it will be the most stable.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Doesn't work out. 3D Mark might have a lower load than some game, for example Battlefield 1 or Project Cars which are very heavy on the CPU. Something like 3D Mark used to be for graphics cards, something that is stronger than a regular game, but not as weird as Prime is for CPUs... that would be perfect.

@pimpernell: I can't enlarge your images, but this is what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

The first post here has some examples: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communi...kel-1151-coffee-lake-laberthread-1175411.html
    So if you want your voltage to stick to the value you set, you'd use one of the lower number, stronger LLC level. LLC 5 for example makes your CPU voltage drop a lot under load.

13. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    That is why i was thinking 1 is off and 5 is max, . Max drop, max llc. no drop, off

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Update. Got most of my parts in. Just missing my case and PSU. Will try and use the case and PSU I have currently so I can at least get the OS set up and maybe start playing with BIOS settings.
    [​IMG]

-Tj-, SerotoNiN and airbud7 like this.
  15. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Nice! I have those paper plates! :p

Loophole35 likes this.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sam’s club FTW!!

17. vMax1965

vMax1965 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    Hi all, Just recieved my 8600K and hope to learn a thing or two from the community. I have paired the 8600K with a Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming and it was a breeze to install and worked first time...Still get that horrible feeling that it won't turn on when you first start the system after a build...but it worked. Haven't done too much yet, just changed the core speed to 47 and saved.. It is running at 4.7GHz very cool with idles at mid 20's degrees and loads at around 50 to 55 degrees on Prime95 and Real Bench. Looking at Hardware Info, the vcore never went above 1.242 vcore and as it is on auto, I think I could get it a bit lower. I will start pushing it higher, so if anyone has a Gigabyte board, your help will be appreciated on the best settings to get a good overclock.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm Jelly^......:D

Slam likes this.
  19. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Looks like you got some Braggs Apple Cider vinegar too. Man...that stuff works wonders for heartburn. :)

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Damnit you can’t fit a H100i in the top of a HAF922 the fan hits the VTM heat sinks. Guess I will have to mount it to the side panel if I want to get it running. Or just wait till next week when the Lian-Li case gets here.

On a side note I don’t have to use the Corsair fans that came with my H100i. I forgot I had some NF-F12’s that @Hilbert Hagedoorn sent me with the D15S I won last Christmas. They will work nicely on this setup.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017