1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8600 gts oc stutter with most games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Gningo, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS OC
    My system is old but should have enough juice to run these games - FIFA 08,UT 2004,Simpsons, MOH AA.

I get stutter on all these games, with FRAPS enabled i can see they all run at 60FPS but then stutter and dip to 15-20 then back up to 60 and son.

Interestingly, I can run the bioshock demo and it only performs badly when an enemy is on screen, almost replicating this stutter effect.

I have tried various drivers, disbling my onboard sound etc all to na avail.

Surely I should be able to run the above games quite comfortably at 1280x1024....apart from Bioshock that is?

Any help much appreciated.

2. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

Do you have boot up problems with this card if you do i think its your psu.anyway does anybody know the 12 volt rails requirements for this card? and what os are you running.i know these cards suck for mid range but i think their optomized for vista for the new games that is.

3. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    No boot up problems and windows seems to operate smoothly enough. How would i check the voltage on my psu? My OS is windows media centre edition.

4. Optikn3rv

Optikn3rv Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidea GTX 670
    i have a 8600GTS and had gaming issues, games just stopping and giving a black screen and stuttering to, i got me a 550w PSU with 20a on the 12v rail or 22 cant remember. look on the sticker on the PSU it will say what wattage it is and usually what amps are on the 12v rail. Also some PSU's dont give the recommended power 100% so see if u can find a good one, check my PSU out in my system specs, a nice cheap one that seems fine and very quiet.

5. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Most PSU's have a specs sticker on their side. You need to check 12V output amperage.

6. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    [1] XFX 6870 HD @955/1100
    first thing to check is that PSU could be getting tired.

7. xDfieO

xDfieO Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970 DCUII
    well gningo u got 2 threads runnin..anyways guys on my psu there's 2 12v rails, on the sticker it says 12v+1 and 12v+2 with 14a and 15a on each. im gettin confused with my amps here. but i get no probs with gaming tho..

8. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    Ok, thanks for your replies guys, I still however, have the problem :(

I made a mistake, I still have the box for the psu which is an Earthwatts 500w on the box it states the following -

ATX12V V2.2 Dual 12v Rails

On the side of the box it states -

80mm low noise cooling fan
    Dual 12V outputs: 12V2 for Motherboard and peripherals; 12V1 for processor
    Industrial-grade protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits, power overloads, over voltage, and under voltage
    80 PLUS® certified
    4 SATA connectors
    PCI-E connector: one for 380W and 430W, two for 500W Safety approvals: UL, CUL, FCC, TÜV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC
    Universal input
    Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)
    PF value up to 99%
    AQ3 Antec Quality three-year parts and labor warranty
    Dimensions: 8.5cm (H) x 15cm (W) x 14cm (D)
    Weight: 1.77kg

The line in bold is interesting - should I try one of the other PCI_E connectors?

Also for 12v output it says - +12V(1) Max Load - 17A
    Combine Max - 34A
    +12V(2) Max Load - 17A
    Combine Max - 34A
    -12V Max Load - 0.8A
    Combine Max - 0.8A

The PSU also comes very highly reccommended from reviews/pc magazines only recently.

What else can this terrible performance be?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  9. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    I'm still having no joy. Can someone confirm that with my system i should be able to run these games smoothly at 1280x1024 -

Fifa 08
    Simpsons
    MOHAA
    UT 2004

I have tried, reinstalling graphics card and checked all connections. I am at such a loss, what more can I do? I don't even be able to find any bios updates for my motherboard - D101GGC

HELP!!! :(

10. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    Still got the problems....someones suggested removing and then replacing the CMOS battery to unlock my locked BIOS as they felt it may be a case of disabling the onboard graphics. I tried this and it did not unlock the BIOS just gave a CMOS checksum error when I rebooted it......running out of ideas fast so any further help would be greatly appreciated.

11. Optikn3rv

Optikn3rv Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidea GTX 670
    daft question but do u have the cable like me that runs 2 connectors to the graphics card and not a single molex?

12. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    Its just the 1 6 pin PCIE connector...if thats the correct terms :) Incidentally just run two tests one on PCMark 05 and one on 3DMark 05

I have no idea what the results mean but here are the links...perhaps one of you can see where the problem lies from these-

3D Mark 05 Results

PC Mark 05 Results

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  13. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Ya, that score seems way to low for your system.BTW I might have missed it but what MB do you have?

14. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    Its an Intel D101GGC mate....any ideas

15. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, stupid question does it have onboard graphics and is it disabled?

BTW I scored 4600 on PC mark 05 just something to judge againist

16. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    It does, a radeon xpress 200 which is disabled.

17. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Have you tried this found it on the support section for that board for slow video performance.

Frame buffer size is the total amount of system memory locked by the BIOS for video. A larger frame buffer size should result in higher video performance.

To adjust frame buffer size in the BIOS:

Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
    Go to the Advanced > Video Configuration menu.
    Set frame buffer size (options can vary based on board model).
    Save by pressing F10 and exit the BIOS Setup.

18. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    Hmm, try the other PCI-E power connector (if there is one). Also, download CPU-Z and check and make sure your link speed is at 16x. One more thing to try is to disable any startup programs you don't absolutely need. I'd say you have a bad PSU though. If you dont want to go out and buy a new PSU you could try to format your hdd and reinstall windows as that will solve any software problems, so you can be sure its your psu before you go out and spend money on a new one.

19. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Did you remove those ATI drivers in safe mode?

20. Gningo

Gningo Member

GPU:
    I cant access that sort of info in my BIOS its locked.....I have tried removing the CMOS and replacing to see if that unlocks it but still no video config or onboard display options are there. Thankyou for your help so far mate its really frustrating this!!!

Im now running pcmark 05 and 3dmark 05 with just the radeon xpress graphics following a full system reformat. I will post the scores when finished.