86 Mac Plus Vs. 07 AMD DualCore. You Won't Believe Who Wins

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Watcher, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
  2. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    yeah but two different os. Like xp alone take at least 129mb of ram
    i bet its fake

and installation

the mac os is like 2 mb..

3. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Well that was boring, thank you!

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Thats the biggest load of crap ever, they don't take into account why Windows Vista needs the RAM, because of all the program we are running, security apps, games and what not. I would be suprised if that old MAC could even play minesweeper without lagging.

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    How completely useless.

Seriously, what the hell.

6. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    AMD gets pwned from the Dark ages

7. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Here's the issue... if you wanted to do basic stuff... why buy such an expensive rig? People who do just basic stuff should use basic stuff (i.e. a Dell home desktop for like $249).

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ... yeah but there computer will still be crap with vista. Most cheap dells won't come with 2gb let alone 1gb of memory.

9. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Worst. Review. Ever.

10. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I love how our comments are mean and practical while the comments in the article are sincere and polite...

Mike.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Well, bloat is evil. At least the article got that right.
    IMHO, a far better proof of uselessness of the "huge progress" for office productivity would be comparing an old PentiumPro 180Mhz 64Mb machine running Windows NT 4.0 with Office 97 and Netscape compared to a Quadcore 3Ghz 4Gb machine running Vista 64bit, Office 2008 and IE7.
    I bet the old rig will totally wipe the floor with the new rig when it comes to common office tasks. ;)

12. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Exactly.
    And I think MS may run into the wall with vista. People, by which i mean corperate It departments, don't want to blow millions on new machines just to run the newest prettiest OS that has, in essence the same usefulness as windows 2000 or XP.
    Latest is no longer greatest in OSes, rather latest is the most colorful with the most bloat.
    I would love a very minimalist OS with modern graphics (but not using those for the GUI), network support, etc without any "prettyness." I'm sick of a base install of XP taking up over 100MB of RAM (before tinkering, though often not much less with it). I just want you be able to start my programs and connecxt to a network, thats it.

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    There's no place for fanboyism/flaming here and obviously you haven't read the article let alone the conclusion:

14. nightime_bird

nightime_bird Member Guru

GPU:
    7900GT SLi@560/1600Mhz (Vf900cu)
    WTF

Who Would have faster loading times PS3 or a Super Nintendo?Hmmmm
    I Wonder

15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    that is the most retarded test in the history of mankind!
    it is irrelevant how can you compare a computer that was made 25 years ago with one today. that operating system boots that fast becaouse basically it has noting to load... no system services no startup programs no kernel management no memory manangement not so many drivers etc... just a stupid desktop and 2 or 3 services. and how the duck does thier xp system takes 63 seconds to boot wtf... my xp tooked 30 secound to boot on my laptop!!!! with nothing installed of course just a new installation, vista 64 tooked 25 seconds on a clean install on my laptop so they are idiots in a way

16. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    Stop wondering!! i would be Dendy!! (smaller cheaper better version of nintendo 8-bit)

17. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

i thought that was interesting.
    no matter how powerful hardware gets, the software will always be maxing it's power, hence we don't get any significant performance increase.

e.g- a game made to run on a 9600XT probably ran relatively the same(performance wise) as a game made to run on a 8800GTX (if not worse)

same for anything else. we get faster hardware, then they make OS's that demand more power, hence obsoleting the hardware in a way. ofcourse if you use this new OS on older hardware it won't run so great, but that's not the issue here.

when both hardware and software advance relatively (which most likely always will) any performance increase is cancelled out.

18. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    bet he trys to flog it on e bay next

19. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    we still have the choice to run older software on our new powerfull machines, whats the issue? Whats stopping you playing Wolfenstein or using Wordpad instead of Word 2007

If you really WANT or NEED the extra options that are bulking up the latest applications, os's and games then you also have the choice to upgrade.

There is no issue here

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    This just reminds me of Vista, bloated garbage made to force consumers to buy expensive new hardware. That's exactly why M$ dropped DirectSound/DirectSound3D, so the load that would normally be on the SPU will go to the CPU. Their excuse? "Hur hur, new compootaars can take it easy! They handle it no problem! You not even tell difference!"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007