850XT PE temperature

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by archevil, Aug 4, 2005.

1. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    Hi,

a few days agi i've just finished my PC
    Gigabyte nforce4 SLI mobo, AMD 64 3500, and Sapphire 850XT PE.
    All works fine (for the moment)
    Recently i've checked temperature of GC. Idle is around 44-46 (°C) (room temperature is 28°C and is stable using video and 3D soft.
    Playing UT2004 temp rise to 80-84 °C (monitored ATITools) while CPU never goes over 38°C.
    Case is a coolermaster centurion 530 with in and out fan of 120mm diameter.
    The temp of the GPU looks for a little High to mee
    Colling of the GC original.

I never get a

did you have any comments ?

2. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    whoah, 80-84 celsius, that is way too hot. Anything over 70 aint too safe.

3. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    I never got a freeze or sys crash or anything else. (playing FarCry for 1-2 hours)

Just after stopping a game and checking temperature with catalyst, temp of GPU is around 64°C..

may be changing the original colling will lower the burn temp ?

Is ATIartic 5 rev2 a good choice ?

cheers Dan

4. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    64 celsius seems right since the x850 has very high clock speeds, if it is below 70 celsius youre completelly safe. 64 is a good temperature but what was that 84 celsius thing are you sure those numbers were right in your first post.

5. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    Usually i checked the temperature after quitting a 3D intenisve game (like farcry or UT2004) and using catalyst overview. In this case, temeraturenever goes ovet says 65°C

Yesterday i run ATItools temperature recording feature during a UT2004. The recorded temperature was around 82°C during playing and dropped quickly (says 1-2seconds) at around 65°C after exit the game.

that's the story.

for me the recorded temperature over 80°C are too hi so i'll be probably changing the cooling system (artic silencer 5rev2).

cheers Dan

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    on thwe contrary, at many points have i seen ati say that a few years ago temps like those would be dangerous, but now anything over 100 would be worrying

have you fitted any case fans?

7. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    hi
    case is a centurion 530 with a 120 in fan and a Antec 120 out fan.
    CPU temp never going over 38°C with a room temperature of 30° and using strong 3D application.

take a look here
    http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=arcticcoolingatisilencer5rev24
    it looks that temp in the range 80-90°C are found in some 850XT products..
    The guys there win 30°C in burn...

First, I'll check the thermal paste on my card and probably change the original fan with a artic silencer

cheers Dan

8. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    Just use the fan feature in ati tools and change the fan preset percentages and it will be fine.

Stock cooler on my 850pe never over 50 with fan set at 30% over 40deg, 50% over 48deg, 100% over 55deg you work out what’s good for you

9. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    Hey Phrozin...

that's it i come just back from ATItools playing to remap the fan use vs temperature.

i've tried several settings and for the moment i've set:
    Temp 0 25 40 50 55 60 70 90
    fan 5 9 18 50 59 77 89 100

and for idle (no 3D) i'l around 44-46°C
    Burn using 3D render in overclock feature of ATI tools around 75 °C
    UT2004 high quality around 66°C

thie means a good starting point. I'll try you settings Phrozen. Anyway thanx to you guy's for your time spending

cheers Dan

PS original fan mapping was really bad very low setting below 90 and then 100%

10. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    Hi

Phrozin, remapping fan/temp will lower temp at a good level, says arund 70/72 °C Nurn

BUT I've trouble to save definitively the fan/temperature remap. I've to do this every reboot.
    any suggestion ?

thanx in advance
    cheers Dan

11. Corbett

Corbett New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850 XT PE
    Thats still pretty high. My x850xtpe run at 62c tops in games. Maybe take the heatsink off and apply some Arctic Silver 5?

And I have the same problem with the fan settings not saving once I reboot.

12. Dalgroth

Dalgroth New Member

GPU:
    X600 PRO 256MB
    Im not sure what my X600 PRO runs at, but ive had it fry twice in the last month (just got PC a month ago). Going to replace it today, telling the idiots at my PC store to put in two case fans. I got an aluminum cooling case (not sure who by) and he said there would be no need for a case fan. Well when my Vid card fries twice I think I have a prob. After playing any game (Half Life 2, UT2004, Guild Wars) for a certain period of time, my CPU goes anywhere from 45-49 (which is pretty high, being as the PC shuts off at 50) Im really disapointed with my PC vendor. Today Im getting two case fans just to be safe. I had a post elsewhere wondering if it was my ATI card in an SLI mobo that was messing things up, but seems this guys got an SLI mobo with an ATI card. Anyways you think 49 is too high for the CPU to be running at? Cause I might just need a few case fans.

13. IsaacS

IsaacS Member Guru

GPU:
    Connect 3D x800 XT PE 256mb
    I have just got a Radeon x800xt PE and have done a search on the web for what temp is correct. As Scatman says, ATI say that the gpu temp can go to 100C before it gets dangerous.

This is good as the fan is loud when at 100% so have used ATI Tools to lower it.

However, I have to say that having come from NVIDIA drivers - their control panel is far more intuitive and powerful than ATI's.

14. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    no, that's wrong, these cards don't even increase fan speed until 86c.

btw my card's fan never moves from 14% even in 29c room temp under heavy gaming @ 600/614

15. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    I have my Asus Extreme x850 xt overclocked to PE speeds ... I use ati-tray tools to direct the fan (cause it's a noisy sucker).

Idle : 42°

Stressed (2 hrs bf2 at max options) : 74 °

Settings:

... - 45° : 4%
    45° - 50° : 7%
    50° - 60° : 9%
    60° - 70° : 13%
    70° - 80° : 18%
    80° - ... : 25%

1x 120mm fan outtake
    1x 90mm fan intake (blows on front of vid-card, bringing cool air into the vid-cooler).

Good luck !

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

16. mikeymike

mikeymike Active Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900XT + X1900 master
    I have a HIS X850 Xt and even at PE speeds i never go over 65c but mine is fitted with the arctic cooler 5 and it is awesome at keeping my card cool and has a idle temp of around 30c . I would definately tell anyone to fit one of these fans as they are the best air cooler u can get for your cards,

17. archevil

archevil New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 850XT PE
    Hi guy's

thanx for all your comments.
    I note thats it looks that for recent chips Temperature says from 70-80 celsius increases not too mich the lifetime of the GPU.
    i've also done somme searches over the WEB and for ATI chips (R4xx) there are clock securities which slow down the frequency when the GU+PU temperature goes over a certain limit (this depend on the chip) usually aover 100°C.
    Originally the fan map is fir Sapphire 850XT PE under 90°C 4% over 90°C 100%.
    This is not optimal for me.
    For the moment i'm like webwiper
    aroud 44°C idle and around 72 °C FarCry and 68°C with a fan speed remap using ATI TrayTools (but it's noisy).
    I've order yesterday a Artic Silence 5Rev2 and Artic Silver 5 paste Fan for 22 euros (not toomuch for silence)

I'll post here results coming from changing the sooling system.

cheers Dan

18. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    the best fan speed for these things to run 24/7 is about 19-24 percent. Above that and it's just too noisy. Nevertheless, mine stays put at 14% and I've learned to care less about temps. If it's stable, it's stable.

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Just set the fan to a fixed percentage. I used 75% all the time while I still had the stock cooler on mine. I believe it never really got much over 60c full load overclocked. I've slapped a Maze4 waterblock on it now though. Surfing along at 38ish c, overclocked full load :)