85° C good for 8800 GTS 512??? problem with rivatuner!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nerox, May 17, 2008.

1. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    My problem, is that when I play some heavy games like, World in Conflict, Assassins Creed, the vga turns very hot, it reaches the 85°c, but not further, .. is that too hot??
    Some time ago I tried using Rivatuner to set the fan speed up to 100%, but always at startup appears the windows that says to allow or deny to rivatuner set the fan to 100%, so everytime I boot my computer I have to click on allow, but then sometimes my computer didnt boot, and I realized that happened just before that the window of rivatuner appears, so I thought that rivatuner was the problem, and then I unistalled, and now the problem is gone, I have no more black screens or so ... but again.. 85°C is too hot?? there is another way to set the speed fan up without using rivatuner?

2. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    85C does sounds a bit hot, mine runs at 800MHz at 79C, full load. And the temp. in uk is hot now.

3. Mac292oh10

Mac292oh10 Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GT OC 512
    if you want cooler temps and quiter sound ,an after-market cooling solution is the only option....

dont let removing the original cooling and re-installing new discourage you from cool temps and less noise.....

i thought it would be the biggest pain, but as long you as study reviews and you focus on doing things patiently everything will be smooth:nerd:

using tt duorb on an 8800gt....70F or so room temp = 40 or so idle 52-55 load....@ 726/1728/975

have only had one day 80F here in OH,so i cannot say for sure what the results would be on 90-100F day....:puke2:

4. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    mmm... but those things are so big! and my case is very small ... the 8800 gts barely fits! I dont want to overclock it at all .. or maybe yes =) well I dont know .. but my biggest worry is if the vga will be damage because of the heat??

5. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Not really... i had a 6600GT that reached 100ºC and it still runs...
    Dangerous would be if your card reached 110/120ºC (i think that its a 120ºC that the temp alarm goes off...) so 85 is kind of hot but it's fine.

6. Mac292oh10

Mac292oh10 Member

GPU:
    BFG8800GT OC 512
    prolonged periods of excessive heat would probably not be good for stability/life span...but then again , ive seen many post that claims 80C is borderline exceptable.....i dunno tho.

and like i said "check gpu cooler reviews"....google "GPU cooler round-up" or something like that....

i did lose a pci slot to have the Duorb installed but is actually alot smaller then the internet pics do it justice, but it was well worth it ,no worries about temps here....

7. Havocide

Havocide New Member

GPU:
    VIC II 6567 / 40 pin DIP
    I'm running almost the same card, an 8800GT OC 512 and I was having similar coolant issues and this is what i suggest if your willing to mod your case. This dropped my quad temps from about 65 degrees to about 45-50.

1. First i took the heat sink off and thoroughly gave it a good cleaning.

2. Then I cleaned all exhaust and intake fans of dust and dirt.

3. Clean off the old thermal paste from the processor and the bottom of the heat sink. And re-apply new thermal paste.

(That might be all that is needed to get it cooled down. Sometimes they don't put enough thermal paste on the heat sink from the factory or they use that crappy tape. If that doesn't do it and you don't mind moding your tower case try step 4.)

4. go buy (2) 80 mm fans and mark out the diameter holes needed for the fans approximately 1/2 inch to 1 inch below your video card. Your 8800 has a fan on it that sucks air into the video card and blows it across its heat sink. By placing the 2 fans 1/2 inch to 1 inch below your card it's catching the heat coming off the card and diverting it right out the casing. The 8800 is notorious for getting hot. Reason for using (2) 80mm and not a 120mm is with a 120mm your systems gonna sound like a crop duster... By doing all this it should help with drawing out some of the heat from the dead spots.

There are 3 levels of cooling in your standard tower casing to take into consideration when trying to cool a system.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

PS Dont mind my crappy paint drawing of the case :)

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    To me the 85°C are kind of borderline. When you reach those temperatures, how fast is your fan going? 100%? If yes, then I definitely would get one of those after-market VGA coolers. Or at least do something about those temperatures (additional case fans, etc.) but the best solution would be a new VGA cooler. They definitely would bring those high temperatures down! ;)

About your question how to set the fan speed: I'm kind of the same way in not installing to many programs, which are then running in the background, so I'm setting my fan speed with the Nvidia Control Panel.

In order to set the fan speed just do the following: open the Nvidia Control Panel and go to 'Performance' => 'Device Settings' and click on the GPU icon. In the bottom left corner you can see 'Cooling'. Just change the fan to whatever you want. After you moved the slider, click on 'Apply'. When you close the Nvidia Control Panel, you will be asked if you want those changes automatically being applied when Windows starts. Select 'Yes' and you will never see any pop-up at startup (fan related at least ;) ) and the fan speed is automatically set to whatever you changed it to.

9. Havocide

Havocide New Member

GPU:
    VIC II 6567 / 40 pin DIP
    If he has enough air flow and the correct amount of exhaust in the casing there is no need to set fan speed. If the fan is speeding up it's doing it's job, so you need to find a solution as to why it's getting that warm.

10. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    85C is ok. Actually the manufacturer sets the limit of the load GPU temp. Once the temp reaches the limit, fan will spin faster to mantain the limit at 85C. Different manufacturer sets different limit for their 8800 GTS. Mine is 77C. If you think 85C is too hot, you can edit the BIOS to change the limit. On thing though, once the card GPU reaches the temp limit, fan will start to kick in and your system will be louder. 85C is fine for G92. 105C is the danger zone if I'm not mistaken.

11. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    cybermancer are you saying that I set the fan speed from the nvidia control panel??? can you do that??? I thought that rivatuner was the only one that could do that... but I dont understand, how I do that?? I ondt see any "cooling" in the nvidia control panel

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    just download ntune from the nv site so you can adjust fan speeds

13. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    With regards to aftermarket cooling being too big...

I have the Zalman GV1000, and it's considerably smaller than the stock cooler, plus vastly better.

Currently idle at 39C. Room temp is 22.5C.

14. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    Remember the original batches of GT's that were hitting 100*C under load?

The G92 can take the heat fine. Admittedly I wouldn't want my GPU running near 85*C personally, but it's quite safe from damage.

15. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    Ok , I have downloaded Ntune then I set the fan speed up to 80%, and then click apply, but I didn see any message of I want this to apply at windows startup, how do I do that?

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    sry you can't
    you need a real card tool like riva tuner for that
    if you are using xp it should not be a problem to set it to start up.
    but i hear vista is more of a pain,if so use forum search feature for ways to use riva without any hassles

17. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    mmmmm .. well, but I have this problem, anytime that I use rivatuner, sometimes when boot the screens went black, and this happens only when I have rivatuner to change me speed fan at startup, I set it to run at 100% at startup.. maybe its to much?? I will try by setting it at 80% only

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    After you changed the fan speed, clicked on 'Apply' and closed the Nvidia Control Panel I get this Pop-up, asking me, if I would like to load the saved setting at Windows start-up... :3eyes:

[​IMG]

19. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I think, I once clicked on 'Profile: Save' and since then it is asking me about loading the saved setting at Windows start-up whenever I change something, click on 'Apply' and close the Nvidia Control Panel. ;)

[​IMG]

20. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    mmm Im trying with rivatuner again... but thanks any way cybermancer, hopefully I dont get any more black screens ... talking about aftrmarktet cooler, wich is a good one for my vga? any of those cooler that are in the web can suit for my 8800?? is it too hard to install?