81.85 crash, read please, new twist to tale, dual monitors!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by digitalshadow, Oct 23, 2005.

1. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    I have read posts about HT causing problems etc etc...

my problem is dual monitors..

works fine with a single monitor, but if i plug the second monitor in, the computer will crash if i try to enable it, same at boot, gets into windows, then as the sys tray is loading... crash... reboot...

now, i don't want to disable HT, but i dont see how HT would make a differnce to dual monitors.

anyone else read of similar problems

Tom

2. la.ultima

la.ultima New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800Ultra @465/1270
    Hi!

I have the same problems with my dual monitor setup! The last driver wich works correct ist the 78.05! All other drivers of the 81... series crashes, when i try to enable dualview! Freeze- reboot- Desktop freeze- bsod- nvdisp.dll error! (looping??)!

i think there is a great bug with agp!! cards like 6800GT and 6800ultra! i dont read about problems with dualview setup with pci-e cards!

back to 78.05 is the only chance to run dualview correct!

greetings

3. NVguy

NVguy Active Member

GPU:
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
    yah. it might be the drivers themselves. why don't you see the release notes for 81.85? maybe the problem is listed there.

4. Elianto

Elianto New Member

It seems I've ruled down every other options till I found the cause of the problem, at least in my case (but I suspect I'm not the only one, at all).

The cause is pretty specific, so it could easily be confused with other things.

It happens with a fresh Win XP installation, too, and it happens -everytime-

It happens -only- with 81.** series of drivers (betas and officials)

Has nothing to do with motherboard bios, or video card bios, or BIOS settings, as far as I can see. (Tried many tweaks, and some BIOSes on the way, but again: it doesn't happen with 78.01 and previous drivers, so...).

The cause of my blue screen of death, nv4_disp.dll related error, is the fact that I use a dual monitor setup, with different resolutions.

First monitor is a sony CRT, second is a LG LCD. I usually use the first at 1280x960, the second at 1280x1024 (its native res).

Well, if I use "clone" in the nview manger, everything goes ok, as well if I use "horizontal extension" (didn't try vertical, but I guess it would be the same).

Problem happens when I use "dualview", extending the desktop from the windows desktop settings. As soon as I choose this and apply it, system hangs, goes into a BSOD, and I have to reboot. This happens -ONLY- with 81.** drivers.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005

5. la.ultima

la.ultima New Member

GPU:
    i´m reading the release notes for the 81.85! but there is nothing listed about a known bug with dualview setup and agp cards (problems with 6800gt and ultra!)! i dont know about other agp cards have the same problem!

greetings

6. Elianto

Elianto New Member

then maybe its a new bug, and a pretty BIG one, I would say...

urgent fix needed... They apparently overlooked this issue even in the betatesting of 81.84...

ps.
    I confirm that I have a 6800gt -AGP- card.

7. la.ultima

la.ultima New Member

GPU:
    Yes, its a great and expensive bug for me! cannot use my second display with a official released driver! think its very hard at this time for nvidia to disign a great driver for the new systems! dual cpu´s, sli, pci-e and so on! But nvida, dont forget the good "old" agp interface, the most users using it!

greetings

8. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    i have AGP 6800gt, is there a way to alert nvidia to this?

9. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    hate to burst your bubbles, but i have two systems with 81.85 and AGP cards, and no problems with dual view crashing my system..
    one is a 6600gt with a monitor and tv always in dual view, have had no issues.
    the other is a 6800gt with two monitors, and again, no issues..
    perhaps it is time to look at the OTHER similarities with all your systems.. P4.. perhaps some new chipset drivers are in order? or something along those lines..
    both my systems are AMD, and not be sound like a fanboy or anything, just pointing out that i don't have the problems you are citing.. and i also dont have the processors you are using. i would think a chipset driver incompatibility before a driver bug.
    and to clear up another thing, both of my rigs use different resolutions on the two displays.. the main monitor at 1600x1200 with a tv at 800x600 or a secondary monitor at 1280x1024.. so rule that one out too.

10. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    hmmmmm....

it is strange that the driver works fine when i am running just one monitor, i see this as a driver fault

11. la.ultima

la.ultima New Member

GPU:
    Ok, now i´m tested dualview with HT disabled on my prescott! and now, 81.85 works fine! no bsod on windows desktop, works fine so far! both monitors 1280x1024@85hz!

But HT disabled can not be a answer of the problem and is out of the question!

greetings

Edit: next reboot the 2nd monitor always only black, no chance to activate it! but now i have a cpu usage from 88% in the idle! great!

think 81.xx series are not "drivers", only bad jokes! sorry! -back to 78.05

12. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    could do with hilbert emailing nvidia.. would get the ball rolling quicker :)

13. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    so, it seems to be an issue with HT enabled pentium 4 processors.. have you tried updating your chipset drivers? i have heard that these drivers like the latest chipset drivers.. i know that they have recently made changes to the drivers for dual core cpus, not sure if that would have an impact on hyperthreading. again, i gotta say try updating your chipset drivers...

14. la.ultima

la.ultima New Member

GPU:
    Hi!

see the edit in my last post! i always running the latest drivers, that´s normal!

it this time fact is, dualview setups not working and this is a issue of the 81.xx series! running every driver before 81.xx i don´t have a problem with dualview, ht and so on! with the same system! now back to the 78.05 and everything is ok!

when the status of the 81.85 is actual "beta" it will be ok, but 81.85 is now official with a lot of great bugs! (see other forums) that´s not professional!

greetings

15. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i re-read every post in this thread.. and none say anything about chipset drivers... so.. i still think this is some sort of incompatibility with the intel chipset drivers, and recommend updating to the lastest possible chipset drivers.
    and as a side note, you can not contact nvidia about driver problems.. you need to contact your hardware manufacturer, they can get in touch with nvidia, as nvidia supplies NO support for drivers. the only product they directly support is the PureVideo..

16. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    updated bios and chipset drivers...

tried again... crash

disable HT

works fine...

17. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    rolling back to 78.01

18. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    what a surprise, works fine

19. jjjallen3dguru

jjjallen3dguru New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX 768mb
    Exactly the same problem on my 3.4 Prescott with a 6800 GT. Dualview definately causes the lockup when booting. Tried everything. On the other hand, running Flight Sim 2004 without HT seems to improve the Frames and Smoothness.

jj

20. digitalshadow

digitalshadow Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC
    well i'm sticking with 78.01, this is the first time i have ever had a problem with nvidia drivers...