81.84 Drivers Crash with HT enabled

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by obylix, Oct 13, 2005.

1. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I get chugging from 81.84 in Bf2 so I stick with **81.82HDv2 for now, they don't have the same HL2 and NFSU2 bugs like the other 81.82 and are super smooth and fast. Best drivers I ever used with my AGP 6800 GT, I did see some trippy sandbags on Shongua Stalemate with Quality in the Nvidia Image settings the other day though, usually I don't get that with these drivers so could of just been the settings.

2. Baleur

Baleur Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 8800GTS 640mb
    Been running HT and with the 81.84 drivers ever since they were released, no probs what so ever.

3. Sapart

Sapart Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7600GS 256MB
    Some hints: I read somewhere, that OS is optimized for HT only when WinXP is installed when HT is enabled in the bios. I noticed users here without SP2 haven't this problem? There are many people with XP+SP2+HT and if this was real HT bug I would expect more posts reporting that. I will not install 81.xx untill it's cleared up.

4. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    Yeah I installed with a Windows XP SP2 slipstream with HT enabled (I've never disabled it until now).

These are betas so I'm sure they'll find the problem and fix it, but what I really want to know is if there was any sort of performance increase that HT provided by almost performing like a dual core chip.

5. Sapart

Sapart Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7600GS 256MB
    I can see some benefits when HT is enabled, especially in HT optimised applications (for example WinAVI Video Converter). If I disable HT I can see increased RAM usage in win task manager and ~2FPS drop in UT2004. But I wonder, whether HT takes any advantage from the VGA driver optimised for dual core CPU too.

6. NerdBird

NerdBird Member

GPU:
    Leadtek Winfast PX8800 GT
    Oh, one thing on my system that could be different is that I'm not using RAID. Are those of you having problems running a RAID array? Yes, more speculation, but this kind of thing bugs me until I know the cause.

7. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    No RAID here. I have a ton of harddrives, but no RAID.

8. NerdBird

NerdBird Member

GPU:
    Well that rules that out. More speculation, I'm not using the Promise controller for SATA and have it disabled in the BIOS. I'm guessing with tons of hard drives you're using yours, Tempest261? Is there an easy way to run your system without the Promise controller just to test?

9. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    Nah, close to impossible. System and everything except old archives are on SATA.

10. Boostland

Boostland Member

GPU:
    MSI NX-6800GT @ Ultra

11. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    I've been wondering this myself!
    HT is not a dual core processor, but plain & simple, it tricks XP into thinking that it is.
    I have to admit, BF2 runs the best it ever has on my HT rig with 81.84.
    Not one crash or lock-up to report since installing this driver.

obylix - Our rigs are very similar.
    I have not encountered any problems with this driver whatsoever.
    I would suggest a uninstall/re-install of this driver (using Drive Cleaner Pro).
    And make sure you run the Cab cleaner as well.
    It sounds to me that it could be a driver conflict problem!

Good luck.....

12. obylix

obylix Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GT
    Well, small update. I think I found what the problem was, by the way there are a million and one problems that can cause this infinite loop error..just google it and see. Anyhow, I use dual monitors so I figured why not disable one and see what happens. Well, turns out ive booted into windows fine numerous times now with HT enabled and my secondary monitor disabled. Weird, it was the last thing on my list of things to check, but it has seemed to work so far. Might of had something to do with that new direct monitor access feature in the new drivers but what would hyper threading have to do with this? weird, oh well..problem seems to be fixed. Thanks guys, for all the input.

13. Sapart

Sapart Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7600GS 256MB
    To obylix:
    I'm pleased your problem is fixed and it doesn't seem to be HT issue.
    So, I can switch to new 80 series and try 81.85. I'm using **77.76 now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  14. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800G 512MB
    Bah, wish I had read this thread earlier. :( Just spend around 90 minutes rebooting, installing, uninstalling, etc. about a 1/2 dozen different sets of drivers trying to get them to work. Finally reverted back to 78.03.

I have HT and dual monitors. :/

15. nsdq160

nsdq160 Member

GPU:
    ElSA 6800GT
    So What to do?

Is there a way to use 81.85 drivers with HT and Two monitors enabled?

16. NerdBird

NerdBird Member

GPU:
    Good catch, obylix! I'm not using dual monitors so that might explain why I'm not having the problem. ;)

I saw this posted by FallenAngel that PERHAPS might help if it is, indeed, Direct Access causing the problem. I have no way of testing it, though. I think it's supposed to simply disable Direct Access all together.

17. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    Man that would explain my problem. I have desktops configured so that when I play games it disables my 2nd monitor. When it first booted with the new drivers, they were a clone. But it was the second boot, where I had dualview enabled, that I had a problem.

What a weird problem though- HT + dualview causes issues? I can't see exactly how they are directly related...

18. nsdq160

nsdq160 Member

GPU:
    ElSA 6800GT
    FallenAngel solution didn't work

I tried the solution - everything looked OK but when I try to config my secondery display the system stop to respond. I went back to 78.05 it eveything OK. I guess there is a problem in the 8*.** drivers because this problem occured with all of them (81.84, 81.85 beta and 81.85 WHQL)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  19. obylix

obylix Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GT
    Yea, same here. I tried deleting the files for direct acces, no change. Ive tried all three types of dual monitor setting ( single, multi-comp,multi perf ), changed monitor drivers and nothing has worked. So I guess for now the 8x.xx drivers are out of the question for some of us using dual monitors and hyper threading( the connection between the two is beyond me ).