8 pin and 4 pin CPU Power Connections

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by cousineddie, Jul 26, 2016.

1. cousineddie

cousineddie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 GTX FTW ACX
    Hi,had a new motherboard (Asus X99-A II) which has an 8 pin CPU connection as well as a 4 pin.
    The last motherboard I had only had the 8 pin and I have lost the other 4+4 CPU cable that came with the power supply, my question is do I have to connect both 8 and 4 cables or is the 4 pin just for overclocking as i have read on other sites.
    I dont intend to overclock until i do find a replacement and PC boots into Bios fine just dont know if ill be OK to carry on installing windows.

Asus have not been back in touch or any replays on forum

Any help would be great,many thanks[​IMG]

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you do plan to OC in future I would use 8 pin(4+4) connector,this second connector not sure if you are neex to have connected,in my opinion I would say,you don't need that there to have connected

Yours PC should be OK and you can start or carry on with installation of Windows

I'm using 4+4 pin for powering CPU and don't have any issue,my 5820k is OC to 4.4GHz right now and everything is very stable

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

3. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    CPU OPT is usually a Fan header. No idea why that sort of socket is being used.
    In my experience its usually a standard 4-pin fan header connection, like the white one in the far left top in your pic.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've got the same on my board, it's an optional (OPT) extra power for the CPU if you are going for big CPU OCs, to take some of the load off the other connector / part of the board

If you go for an extreme OC without using it, fire can happen so I'm told

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yup same as yours, I wish I would have gotten yours, mine works does same thing but you can keep voltages more stable on yours thus less heat. I've got a 0.056 voltage droop on mine so I have to go up a little more on voltage 1.53 with 4.7 because it droops 1.48 that's the bonus for the extra 4 pin.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you have LLC in your BIOS, set that higher to combat vDroop, I had to do that to stabilize my chip

[​IMG]

7. cousineddie

cousineddie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 GTX FTW ACX
    Working fine ,many thanks for the reply's

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If you check your mainboard's manual, page 1-26, it does make an extra statement to connect both 8 and 4 pin ATX12V plugs...

If it works, good, I'd personally try to grab one of those 4 pin cables or an adapter on the long run. Just my opinion though.

9. cousineddie

cousineddie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 GTX FTW ACX
    Asus said they recommend that I fit the two.got a replacement coming from Evga

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Good stuff, did you have to pay for it? Better safe than sorry I'd say...

11. cousineddie

cousineddie Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 GTX FTW ACX
    17 euro inc postage.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I hope it won't tear you down to ruin, but as I said, I personally would have looked for such a cable anyway, just to be sure.