7xxx series artifacts/flickering poll

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d.B., Oct 9, 2012.

?

How have you resolved the flickering issues?

1. Switching my card to another system resolved the problems.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Replacing the card (with a card of the same model) resolved the problems.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. A change in software configuration solved all of the problems.

20 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I have tried all of the above methods, and none have worked.

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  5. No flickering

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    i guess thats what we're talking about here. It's a short artifact "flickering" up for a split second. Then it will be gone again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I have zero flickering

The only flickering I know of is the same one Nvidia users get, every so often you'll be at an exact angle in the world and the game will make a drowning sound effect and the game strobelights and you can see through geometry, but everyone is getting that in skyrim, not just AMD users.

I know cause my friends GTX 580 gets it too, he actually gets more bugs then I do

3. asciikode

asciikode Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Just curious,
    What driver version are you using, and what games to you typically play?

4. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    This pool is kinda useless. The People who voted that a software update fixed their issue, never told us what software fixed it or they came back after 1-2 days saying that they also have flickering. The other people who say that they don't have flickering often come back and say things like "i dont have flickering but in Game XY i see some artifact blinking". At the moment i think it is just a question of what games you are playing. There is a great chance you just didn't see it YET or just are not that kind of person who notices the short flickering, or maybe just a missunderstanding about how it looks like.

After testing 4 cards from the same 7000 series but different brands (sapphire, powercolor, msi) tested on 2 different Systems which both run well with Nvida and AMD 6000 Cards i just doubt that there is something faulty but the drivers.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

5. d.B.

d.B. Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    This isn't actually necessarily true. It could be a hardware level design flaw in either the reference design or the GPU itself. So simply concluding that it is a software problem immediately is not necessarily valid.

6. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    then i think it wouldn't be able to have no flickering for some hours at the same spot in the same game. If it is faulty hardware AMD is done. Lets hope it is an driver issue. But 1 thing is for sure, there is smth wrong (drivers or design flaw) and AMD should at least give us some answers about this.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  7. Stalinizator

Stalinizator New Member

GPU:
    Got it but not so frequent, 7970 Ghz Vapor-x.

I had 3 of 7000 series cards, 2 of them definately had flickers (both Sapphire), for 3rd i dont remember as it was just faulty (MSI) so even if it had flickers i dont remember because of it just didnt work as it was supposed to.
    Speaking of games where these flickers appear, i'd say all and probably wouldnt be mistaken. From Witcher 2 to Hearts of Iron 3. Guess its harder to name a game where there are no flickers.

8. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    i think it is around fifthy to fifthy.
    Quake Live, Warsow, BF3, Sleeping Dogs, Syndicate, TF2 - didn't flicker for me
    Starcraft 2, Dishonored, Portal 2 (at one level) and most UT3 Engine games - rare flickering.

9. Stalinizator

Stalinizator New Member

GPU:
    BF3 - maybe, do not play it enough to notice.
    Played Skyrim a little - now i definately remember i had flickers with that faulty 7970 i had, didn't notice them when played with latest drivers yet.
    TF2 - cant say for sure. Portal - dont remember.
    From what i played lately i can definately confirm flickering in : Fate of the world, Crysis, HOI3, Trine, Heroes 6, Wargame, Warface, World of Tanks, XCOM.
    Most annoying is to have flickers in games like Fate of the world or HOI3.
    Where i didnt see flickers - Metro 2033.
    Its just annoying that one day you wont have any flickering at all - next day same game would flicker like crap, sure it may be sticked to certain level, like i had flickers in Borderlands 2 only on 2 or 3 maps. But seeing these things for half a year for 500$ is no fun.

10. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    i agree. Just as a reminder www.amd.com/report keep reporting the issue. I report every game i notice flicker and keep mentioning the other ones. Also make Videos put them on youtube or whatever. To make more people reporting that issue. We need to make some noise.

11. eddylipstick

eddylipstick Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Hmm never noticed flickering or artifacts and I play a ****load of games. I'm on 12.8 and OC @ 1100/1250

But I'll keep an eye on it from now on.

12. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    Gigabyte 7970Oc flickering here. Every now and then I'll see a black shape appear, in a random place and it looks different each time it appears. It's gone within a fraction of a second, clocks all stock, 12.8, windows fresh install.

I'm sure it's a power management issue, as it has been said 1,000 times before. Certainly not confined to a particular driver.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  13. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    hmm any ideas about that? Do you think it has smth with the PSU or with the windows energy management?

But it sounds posible because of the new Zero-Core feature. It may somehow been related. It's also strange that the really gpu-stressing games seem to be flickerfree as well as the very "weak" games seem to be flickerfree. Most flickering seems to be seen on games in the "middle.

14. Scyphe

Scyphe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
    I ONLY get flickers when on desktop, as if vsync was off with some seveeeere clipping. When I use scroll bars it's esp. severe flickering. Up until 12.11's I could "fix" the flickering issue by opening CCC and enabling/disabling GPU scaling under the properties for my screen. 12.11 is the first driver where that doesn't work.

I also noticed that when the window of the OCCT GPU test was active, there were no flickering issues at all and I had GPU-Z open and the clocks were at max. Then I clicked on the GPU-Z window while the OCCT-test was still going on.. Suddenly the clocks went crazy and jumped between 300/150 and 501/1250 and performance dropped in the OCCT GPU-test. When I clicked (activated) the OCCT GPU window the flickering stopped and the clocks went back to the 3D performance mode.

So the ONLY way for me to totally get rid of this flicker is to set:

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

Which disables powerplay completely and locks the card in full 3D clocks. Obviously that makes the card drain power and make the case hotter even when just browsing, but what's the alternative?

We need a new RBE...

"Accesses every PowerPlay state and can change GPU clocks, RAM clocks and voltage for each of them seperately.
    Displays the PowerPlay structure of the BIOS."

Reason why we may never see a new RBE for 7xxx, a quote from W1zzard, admin @ techpowerup..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  15. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Does that really work? Yet, it makes sense. Today I noticed a flickering occurring in Skyrim right after the loading screen, and that's precisely the moment when the card switches to 3D clocks. And Nvidia seems to have a similar issue, just that their cards seem to stutter a little (Vsinc stutter) instead of flicker when changing clocks on the fly.

I will try your solution.

Edit: I edited the .cfg file yet the card does still seem to switch between 2D and 3D clocks... Is that still supposed to happen?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

16. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    Interesting. Since installing 12.11 b3's. My idle clocks are now 300/500 opposed to 150/300 whilst using the 12.8's.
    Applying a slight overclock with these drivers pushes the memory to stick at max speed and will not fluctuate, the core clock still fluctuates. This is only happens whilst overclocking. With my memory at full speed at idle i've not seen any flickering on the desktop for the last 5 hours. Surely this means the memory is responsible, and while it fluctuates in speed/voltage it's causing artifacts/lines/shapes to appear on screen. Will update if the artifacts/flashing etc returns.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  17. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Getting terrible flickering in Skyrim since the 12.10 drivers onwards.

18. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2.0Ghz
    I've got flicker when I use Sapphire TRIXX to OC my crossfired 5850s.
    To fix it I have to change the desktop resolution and then switch back to the original resolution.

19. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I'm not even sure if I have "the flicker". I sometimes see the ones described in the videos yes, but sometimes my whole damn screen flickers. Is this also considered "the flicker"? I'm so confused on the subject.

20. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    That's unstable OC flickering, or maybe something caused by some program error in the TRIXX tool. The flickering this threads talking about is HD 7xxx only and there seems to be no solution so far apart from using a non 7xxx card. Some bugalyst versions just seem to flicker less than others, yet all have some level of flickering at least as far as I noticed. Well, some people do not seem to either have or see flickering when using cat 12.4.

Well, when you have the fist type of flickering, those flickering shadows and the like, than you are a member of the HD 7xxx flickering club that seems to be getting more and more members. That whole screen flickering thing might be the same issue or something else entirely. I'm starting to believe the 7xxx series isn't a GPU series, but a bunch of flickering simulators.