7970 Matrix Platinum artifacts during load and varying results with trails.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sikator, Jul 4, 2021.

1. sikator

sikator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Hey, I have a 7970 matrix platinum that came in last week and theres a story to what has happend during that time which i will try to quickly go trough.
    The seller said it was fully working but needed new thermal paste and some love. So it did. It came with 80mm fans boched onto the heatsink and electrical tape used as a "soldering job" on the cables, the shroud came with it but only one fan with snipped wires.

I know now that i should have instantly done some multimeter checking but my knowledge is low with this stuff.
    I booted it up to 99c and thermal throttling in games so i promptly took it out, removed the cooler to see a silvery terrible looking thermal paste (I forgot to take a picture other than of the paper towel which i included).

It was a hurdle to remove completely and i didn't succeed completely around the core which might have been a mistake.
    As i booted it up the temps were excellent with 35c idle but now during benchmarks it would artifact. However different attemts as using a different, PSU, PCI slot, and lastly PC also trying to not screw the GPU down i noticed a drastic change with less artifacts and at one point it could do any benchmarks and OCCT in a test session i did that lasted 3 hours. But the morning after it was back to artifacting. So i took it apart again to properly clean the whole damn PCB with contact cleaner and a toothbrush then last resort attempt was a heatgun. Going 40sec above the gpu then slowly increasing in a circle to cover the whole board for 2 minutes total. No change.

It's artifacting during Fire strike but not while playing HL1 (Either that or i have to play HL1 for a long time to crack it)

Any ideas on what could cause this? I have tried undervolting and underclocking without any consistent or drastic results.
    The thermal pads are old but the temps shown in GpuBoost isnt of any concern with none hitting above 50c and the core hitting 70 ish max.

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    It is about to die fully nothing else to say really

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Did you tried changing the bios? You can easily flash a different one with a different power limits, voltages and clocks. Back in the day that worked for me. Still have the card.

4. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    I think I told you to do some steps on redit.

Cleaning etc,

Ok fans you can just use some 120mm connected to a fan header on your board and just pull them full blast for testing.

Try a stock bios look for one with the low clock possible.

You can use 2 gpus to flash if something goes wrong

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Its likely dieing, if its artifacting and not crashing, there is a decent chance the memory is going bad,if the bad chip is in the upper portion of the vram a game like hl1 isn't going use enough vram to expose the problem,if heatgun/ baking doesn't resolve the issue at least temporarily, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, besides replacing the bad memory chip(s).

6. sikator

sikator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Interresting. i will try to do some custom vram loads on it. Also interrestingly, if i install driver only and no radeon software it doesnt crash it locks up with a fully artifacted screen. But if i do a full install with radeon software it crashes. At least form my current findings with 4 attemts 2 on each.

7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    You can use OCCT, it has VRAM testing and error detection.

8. sikator

sikator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    I tried but my card no support the all mighty OpenCL :/

EDIT: But doing other thests that seems to use low memory on OCCT does produce artifacts

9. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    WTH, you sure about the OPENCL? I remember doing OCL stuff with a 7970 way back then.

Anyway, if you can reproduce artifacts still, yes, sadly, it's the fault.
    Depending where you live, maybe you can find someone that does memory replacement on the card, it's doable with the right tools and obviously, same chips.

10. sikator

sikator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Yeah im sure, OCCT spits out errors and GPU-Z shows OpenCL Unticked. However, googeling 7970 GPU-Z pictures shows some supporting and some not?! dafuq

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Don't take my word for granted but think AMD broke OpenCL support for GCN cards some time ago. DDU current Radeon drivers in Safe Mode and revert back to either some 16.x drivers or some 17.x just for VRAM testing purpose via OCCT/OpenCL.

sikator and Passus like this.
  12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    The_Amazing_X likes this.
  13. sikator

sikator Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    @MerolaC @CrazY_Milojko @Undying I have currently shelved the 7970 Matrix for now. I have another card coming in to play with and I do have a feeling that the probably electrical conductive thermal paste on the 7970 could be a culprit.
    I tried some 16.x drivers with just issues. also artifacting frequently made it annoying to deal with. the 16.x drivers didn't give me anything in GPU-Z other than Generic video driver etc so i gave up. My gf wants to play games on my test computer :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the help so far and when I get time and effort i will pull it down from the shelf and give it another shot even though it's mostly pointless at this point. I plan on buying new fans for it to make it as complete as possible (Minus the missing decals :() and put it on show!