7970 Lightning Overheat

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by VladM, Jan 15, 2013.

1. VladM

VladM Guest

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    Hy guys. I'm new here. I'm from Romania and I'm sorry if my English is not perfect.
    I recently bought a brand new R7970 Lightning and I have a problem with the card. When I run Furmark the GPU reaches 97 degrees Celsius and kick's into thermal throttle. This happens without increasing the GPU voltage. The vendor says that it's not recommended to run furmark (I know that) and does not recognozize this as a manufacturing defect.

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

does your fan speeds up ok ?
    if so, you might need to reconsider yur case airflow

3. VladM

VladM Guest

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    Yes fan speeds are up to 100%. I've already tried diferent configurations for the fans, even tried open case. I don't think the case is the problem. It's a CM Storm Trooper.

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

97 seems to be high, but beareable if the temp protection holds ok
    The thing is, you need to test the card with games you play , and then see
    if the temps hold ok.

there is no point on stressing with furmark , only to test OC stability

5. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    for a low air flow PC case, the reference heatsink is better than the lighting heatsink, as it can blow the hot air out of the case. Try increase the air flow of your case.

p.s. will it help if you use a fan directly blow to it?

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

correct, but in nornal conditions, the most demanding game won't stress
    the card >65c or so
    furmark is only for checking your OC stability , that is, not for anything else
    since it consistently overheats any card

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    MSI has released some bad batchs in 2012, i think the cooler was the problem, i'm talking about the HD7950.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  8. VladM

VladM Guest

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    In games, 3dmark 2011 and Unigine Heaven the card reaches 70 degrees with the fans up to 60%. But I don't undestand the behavior in Furmark. I've owned a 7970 DCu II TOP and the temps in Furmark reached a maximum of 74C. Could this be a power bug with the Lightning?

9. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    Actually I can run furmark for days without any problem on my 7970

10. ibitato

ibitato Guest

yes if that is your objective
    if all you want is to OC the card, to better game, you just run it for stability check, and take your real life temps in games, as a standard
    I neved had problems with furmark on my 4870Trifie but my case is heavily modded for extreme airflow and it sounds like a jet
    the thing is, the card is not FUBAR since it makes the job well , even if overtemps on furmark

11. ibitato

ibitato Guest

nvidia and AMD bugged the throtle of furmark in 5xxxx series, to prevent problems
    dunno ab 6xxx and 7xxx series
    oviously different cooling solutions have different results,

12. VladM

VladM Guest

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    I've tried with a fan blowing to the card. It's a SUNON pluged into a 220V socket. No results. :(
    And the case has a good airflow.

13. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    can it be return or RMA? ,my GTX560 lighting require a reseat to lower a few degree. I only recommend reseat the heatsink for the last resort only.

14. VladM

VladM Guest

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    No...the vendor says that is not a defect because they don't recognize Furmark as a suitable test for GPU's.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @ibitato: Even with Furmark, it should never get to that temperature @100% fan on stock volts.

OP, I'd guess you need to reseat the cooler and apply some thermal paste. Be careful that this might void your warranty though.

The fact that it's reaching thermal throttle means that it's getting insufficient cooling. You've already established that you have no problem with airflow.

What are your VRM temperatures, btw? They must be 100C+ by now.

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    At 97C you card will die very quickly, remove the cooler and apply top quality paste then tighten down good.

17. VladM

VladM Guest

GPU:
    MSI R 7970 Lightning
    The VRM and VRRD temps are just fine. 50C maximum.
    @ SLI: if I remove the cooler I'll lose the warranty.

18. ibitato

ibitato Guest

big problem there, a cards killer

all I say is that if he's happy with his temps in normal daily usage and gaming , he shouldn't be worried, there is nothing he'll be running that compares to furmark

anyways, if he feels that the card is not cooling OK, better find anither excuse for RMA because as OP stated, vendor says the card is not faulty .......

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes, the VRM temps would kill those VRMs if left running @about 120C+ for a long enough time.

True, he won't be running something as tough as Furmark, but 97 on FurMark means that he'll be getting high temperatures as well in games. Not as high, but still higher than usual. That's a reason to worry about the card's lifespan.

EDIT: That's excellent for VRM temps on air!

It seems the issue is that the heatsink is not making proper contact with the GPU only.

As ibitato said, try to find another reason. Maybe compare the temperatures you are getting to another 7970 Lightning that you know is making good contact. The temperatures you're getting should be a lot higher, even in games.

That card has received a lot of reviews, and most should specify the card's temperature under load. Check those out.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  20. ibitato

ibitato Guest

does not compute, only if the dice is realy bad seated thus the high temps .
    50c on VRM while 97c on dice, with that cooling ?

something fishy here