7870k with Windows 10 Sucks!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by nz3777, Mar 17, 2016.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I had no idea that windows 10 is now Mandatory to download, my kids machine is running it and I freakin hate it, Its an advertising bonanza!!! I also need some suggestions schould I just get Windows 8 instead? I honestly like Windows 7 alot more, its simple to use and affective.

I was also wondering what kind of Gpu I can add to her machine? The performance is so/so not that great I had maybe a Gtx 750 ti in mind for her system what are your thoughts on this? The system has a 750 watt psu so I am pretty sure it can handle the power demands no problem/.Also it can be a Radeon card as well I dont care. Just not to exensive maybe $100 tops.

Thanks.Nz:)

2. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 10 isn't mandatory, you just have to uncheck it from Windows Update. You can also rollback to your previous installation if you just upgraded to it, provided you didn't use disk clean and wiped it yet. Also, what about advertising? Microsoft's services?

For the GPU, a 750ti would do, but there isn't really alot of choices at that budget. I think it'll ultimately boil down to what kind of games it'll have to run. The jump from the iGPU to an entry card like the 750/950s wouldn't be that big, but it'll still be something. I would personally suggest holding off until next gen hits, then there will be more higher end cards floating around at lower prices.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you can find a GTX750Ti around $100, it should provide a reasonable performance boost. The iGP on the 7870K is around the same performance as a R7 250, which the 750Ti outperforms quite easily.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Thanks for the reply guys, I have found some (used) on craigslist 750 ti for around 75-80 bucks, also a 660 Ti for $80 bucks-I owned the 660 ti so I am familar with its performance.Schould be faster then a 750 ti no? She does not play games that are really demanding, Garys mod stuff like that.I have noticed sometimes her system slows down and that game just looks like crap to me to begin with ( no offence) lol.

As far as windows goes I will stay with my 7 or I might try 8.1 not sure, They can keep 10 no thank you.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    For $80, I'd grab the 660.

Spybot Anti-Beacon is a good addition to any system running Windows these days....

6. kbdfan

kbdfan New Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 4G gaming
    if you're really lucky, you can grab a gtx 670 on ebay for $80.

7. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    can confirm, windows 10 sucks. i tested it the last 3 months in a dual boot with my windows 7 and i basically leave it on the disk just as a fallback, but i dont even have the boot menu enabled anymore, i just directly boot into 7 now.

too many unclean things.

subject to change ofc.

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    I don't mind 10 at all I use a local account I see no advertising of any kind.Talk about overblown hysteria.

9. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I believe alot of it are overblown. However, there are bugs/glitches in W10 that affect most if not all of my machines but not in 8.1
    Whether or not these are due to other software, I'm not sure, but they were fine previously.

For example,
    explorer does not refresh folders properly. While this seems to be a pretty old bug that occurred since Vista days, somehow 3 of my machines all have the same problem only after upgrading to W10. For example, create a new folder, you won't see it until you F5. After you F5 and rename it, the name is still "New Folder", have to F5 again to see new name.

Then there are a few networking quirks. The fallback once an ethernet port no longer has internet connection is pretty bad (somehow doesn't transition to the other one unless I disable or unplug the original one). SMB sharing is also a little unstable at times (can't login).

Then there is the OneDrive downgrade in both the W10 client and storage amount. For example, you can no longer "see" the files that you didn't sync in explorer anymore. Really dumb move.

I'll also like an option to stop automatic driver downloads. Keeps breaking things on my laptop since it requires customized drivers for things like the touchpad. I have disabled those updates but it would be nice to just have an option to block them in the first place without having to rollback the driver.

The only common software I share across these machines are Autodesk and Adobe suites. I do think it may be Autodesk since their software broke Windows during the 8->8.1 update, but there hasn't been any updates or complaints, leading me to think that something else (or a combination) is causing this. Once Redstone hits I'll probably reinstall if that doesn't fix things. These minor issues are annoying but I can live with them.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Lol! sniper.

If anything when I am ready I will move to Windows 8 or 8.1, 10 is just blah for me as things stand.Now if in the future we see some kind of massive performance increase then maybe I can live with it, but by choice I will stay where I am.

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I went with the "sooner or later you'll have to upgrade and adapt" thinking. Gave it a try and some of the changes aren't bad and actually an improvement over 8.1. The issues I listed are basically the ones that get me the most though.

I do highly recommend Start8/Start10 if you use W8/10 and miss the old start menu.

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    The problem was DX12 for me really, either i'd upgrade or i'd get screwed later.

Besides that its not that bad, it has a few issues but is not as big of a pile of poop as 8 was.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070/ RX580/ 780Ti
    I was having some issues with Windows 10 but it seemed to be with older hardware.

I just finally upgraded the last of our 9 PCs to Windows 10 last weekend. I typically just create/use a local account (as I find logging into an MS account tedious). I upgraded to a newer laptop and deleted an old Core 2 rig from our mix (i3 now) and now 10 is pretty stable.

There are things I hate about 10 and it's still got some kinks to work out, but overall, it's clearly the best Windows version they've ever made.

As to those cards, the 660ti would be a fine choice. Newegg has open-boxed 750Ti's for $83 right now too. There's also the HD6950 for about $75 new. I believe it's almost equivalent to a 660ti performance-wise.

14. creedman7

creedman7 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB OC
    Some good, some bad with Windows 10, overall I've had a pretty good experience with it. I only sign in with a local account and turn off all the other nonsense. 750 ti is a pretty good card, low power, low heat and can overclock some. 660ti would have better performance. I've seen some new GTX 950's come close to the $100 mark lately.