7870 crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by skigeno, May 17, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    3400....I hope that's a typo lol

OK so u haven't had a BSOD just black screen? Has it crashed while running NB at 2000mhz?

2. jimbobstan

jimbobstan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC
    Sorry, I'm replying through my phone and it sometimes corrects things stupidly.

the NB is @ 2400, HT @ 2000.

i had put a little over voltage on the VDDNB to see if that helped but it didnt.

i never get a BSOD actually. Only ever the black screen and hard lockup with looping sound.

i also tried two spare sticks of kingston 2gb 1333mhz ram since the mobo seems to default at that on stock settings but it was the same problem.

it must be something to do with either the CPU or GPU but i really have no idea what. I'm leaning towards the gpu since it seems to be plaguing a lot of people, but to be honest, its only a hunch.

3. jimbobstan

jimbobstan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC
    additional info

Hi,

I have some more info about the problem.

I was playing BF3 single player for about 15 minuts (max) and I got a black screen and the really loud buzzing noise again.... basically max volume.

Instead of resetting it myself, i just left it and it reset itself.

When it booted, it didn't even POST. It beeped at me with the following sequence:

Beep-Beep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep-Beeeeeep

So that is:

2 short, then 8 longer beeps.

then it just waits with the screen black doing nothing, so i switched it off and came to write this.

Any ideas guys?

**EDIT** on the upside, i've managed to finish BF3 single player just while fault checking this problem :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. jimbobstan

jimbobstan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC
    Hi guys,

An update from my side.

I spent quite a lot more time troubleshooting this again, but could not stop the black screen crash.

I read more deeply about the ram settings, and found that my ram was being set to a ram cycle time of 1T when i put my Corsair settings into the bios. It should be 2T for this ram. So I set that in Windows, (I cannot set it in my BIOS for some reason), using CPU Tweaker.

Unfortunately, this did not seem to be causing the problem that I was having either.

So finally, I contacted the shop that I bought my card from and they immediately issued me an RMA number and I sent it back. Apparently they will test it and send me a replacement if they find a fault.

So that is where I stand... waiting to hear from them.

I will update again when I have some more movement so you know what solves this for me.

Thanks for the support so far.

5. jimbobstan

jimbobstan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC
    Replacement

The latest on my specific case.

The graphics card was received by the computer retailer, tested, and WAS found to have a fault.

They will now ship a replacement to me.

Maybe this is not the same for everyone with these symptoms, but do try to send it back if you feel that you have done a disproportionate amount of troubleshooting.

When i receive a new card I will post again to say if the issue is solved or not because you never know...

6. rievhardt

rievhardt Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    BTW has anyone tried using a separate audio card that isn't realtek or a headset w/ built in soundcard if this really fix the issue?

@jimbobstan
    may I know what was the actual fault they found? because I RMA'ed mine and they just sent it back to me saying that they cant find anything wrong with it.

@abundantcore
    mines a non-oc version, not really comfortable tweaking it but thanks.

7. jimbobstan

jimbobstan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC
    Hi Rievhardt,

I'll try to find out what the fault was. Currently all I know is what I read from the online RMA tracking on their website.

It says:

Tested - yes
    Fault found? - yes

So I'll make a phone call to try to find out more.

8. jimbobstan

jimbobstan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC
    Received new card, no longer crashing

Hi anyone that is interested.

I received a new card now, but instead of the Gigabyte HD7850 OC, i got an XFX HD7850 2GB DD Black Edition and paid the difference.

I have not had any black screen crashes since receiving the new card, and have not changed anything else with my system.

I asked the retailer to specify what the fault was that their technician found, but they said that he found the same symptom that I described and they had no further details. I guess that they sent it back to Gigabyte for a more detailed analysis, but I am not sure, and could not get any more info.

Sorry I can't tell you more.

9. rievhardt

rievhardt Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    ok thanks for the headsup jim! :)

10. Clerity

Clerity Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    Are you certain 650W is enough for your system? If you hear a 'mosquito' noise coming from your PSU, this would make sense to me. If your computer is taking up most of the power available and your video card tries to draw MORE to power an OC it would make sense for your pc to crash.

11. october24

october24 New Member

GPU:
    hd 7870 Sapphire OC
    Hey guys , i'm french and get same trouble with my 7870oc sapphire for long time without any solution from anywhere
    let see now what i want to share with you about the investigation of a french website team who conctated AMD who worked to founded a bit hardly this anormal issue that normaly it never happenned!

http://www.hardware.fr/news/12705/radeon-hd-7870-ecrans-noirs-solution.html

im not able to translate decently all the page , but you should use google tools for that or at least get a large clue as i know translation boting sucks sometimes.
    ...it could be the begin of your problems ending !

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  12. soxytony

soxytony New Member

GPU:
    shappire hd7870oc
    This french webpage, who are they, can we believe anything they say, have sapphire or ati admitted it is true. I believe the gist of it is, that they used crappy cheap parts in some cards and those parts are failing, though if thats the case why is it so random.....

But anyway, if amd or sapphire say its true, will they replace your card with one that works?

Soxytony

13. tayguer84

tayguer84 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC
    It's interesting that supposedly only 7% is affected, yet both the original and the RMA Sapphire sent me had the black screen problem. Maybe 7% is only the amount who have gotten so pissed off that they dealt with Sapphire's terrible customer service RMA system.

Trying to contact Sapphire again. This is definitely the worst computer related purchase I've ever made.

I can't even get more than a couple hours in on Dishonored. This is definitely the worst game I've played when it comes to triggering these crashes. I've probably crashed 10 times in the last two days.

14. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    You can think of it like a loose wire, you never know when it's gonna fail.

15. rievhardt

rievhardt Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    7870 owneres

can you please check your BIOS...
    which of these 7870 BIOS do you have? (if you have a different 7870 BIOS...pls. indicate)

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm currently doing a research regarding the 7870 black screen issue.

16. tayguer84

tayguer84 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC
    Sapphire is replacing my second 7870 OC with a 7950 OC due to it being my second RMA. This might just make up for the eight months of frustration I've experienced. Good luck with everything guys. I would have to add that I was pretty forceful with the last email I sent to Sapphire.

17. soxytony

soxytony New Member

GPU:
    shappire hd7870oc
    Mine is the first one O02

Soxytony

18. zarker99

zarker99 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    I have S01, and having flickering/artifacts.

[​IMG]

19. rievhardt

rievhardt Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    thanks for the quick response!

I hope this would keep up. :)
    I'll update as soon as I can get more info from other 7870 users here and on other forums as well.

20. Richkill

Richkill Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 1100/1575
    I have the 002 version.
    Crashing isnt as bad as it use to be now