7800GTX 512 MB clocked at 550/1800 MHz

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Anarion, Nov 1, 2005.

1. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Wow, very cool indeed. If this is actually true in one way or another ATI will have to get their act together and actually do something substantial. I suspect that this may cost around $600-$650 or so. It doesn't affect me though since I'm perfectly content with my 7800GT. For only $20 more than a 6800GT, it's the best deal I've got since my 6600GT.

2. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    interesting, clocks look quite nice i find the memory to be a major possibilty but the core just looks abit high 550mhz on a 24 pipe card i dont think nv are going to be able to get a very high yield rate from this core much like ATi having to drop 16 pipes.. im taking this article with a pinch of salt.

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    rought, 2 slots means the cooler sticks out far enough from the card so you can't use the pci slot next to the card. It doesn't mean that you have to plug the card into 2 slots.

Also, new memory is being used. They aren't overclocking the memory they already have. That was pretty clearly stated in the article.

4. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    it would be cool if they can pull this off, but i hope ati can produce something that can match it, just for competition.

about the cooler, my guess is on this one:
    [​IMG]
    its used for the Quadro FX 4500 and there has been said that the 7800ultra would get this cooler too.
    if they do it like this, i do hope they dont name it gtx, people will get really confused by this, and possibly buy a card with lower clocks than they wanted, because its still the gtx.

-edit-
    oooh, imagine this combined with the quad sli hkepc writes about here

wishfull thinking...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005

5. Marcdaddy

Marcdaddy Member

GPU:
    2 XFX 7900 GTXs in SLI
    Oh by the way the new card is 32 Pipes..... Ok now that would ass rape everything if that happened, i guess i can keep dreaming.

6. geforcebOY

geforcebOY Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7800 GTX @ 480/1300
    I think this article is true as they where not wrong about the R520, infact they where so right with specs it was creepy. lol.

7. geforcebOY

geforcebOY Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7800 GTX @ 480/1300
    Anyone know if Guru3d will have a review/preview of this card soon, cause i am dieing to know what it can do, got my bank account all ready for next week . lol. Cheers

8. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    But two slots on an SLI would mean two SLI slots because there is no PCI between them..or do they mean one pci slot on the bottom card and the top card just fits…as is???
    ON an AGP board it makes sense….but if that the case it must be one tight fit.

And the reason I question the memory was yes they did mention Samsung .was going to make the ram wth the faster speeds but Samsung already make the ram…its nothing new..
    Well I hope its true sounds like a great card..

As far as ATI doing the same thing to the 1800.. I don’t think they can.. its already that..
    I think when ATI had to had to dump the 16 pipes the originally wanted on the 1800 series.. because of the bad yields they were getting using the 90mn and 24 pipes.. they had to do something so they dumped the extra pipes and over clocked the card..
    The proof of this is the fact that the 1800’s run hotter that the 7800 does…
    The 90mn a smaller size was supposed to run much cooler.. one of the main reason they went to it…and the fact that it is running hotter is proof they had to scramble and crank up the clocks.. to get a card out to compete with the 7800.. but that just what I think..
    But sounds reasonable to me.. ATI fans will no agree I’m sure..
    But an explanation as to why the 1800 runs hotter should come alone with the disagreement..

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  9. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Uhm dudes 2 slot design means they will be same big as the 6800ultra and if i recal correct quite some peoples have 6800ultra sli rigs (or they had them and now updated to 7800gtx). Really duno whats the problem. And if you have such a sli board that it has the pcie slots too near than that manufacturer simply is brainless.

10. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Dual-slot cooling isn't an issue, there's enough room to put two of them together on a SLI board so what's the point?

Yes, Samsung already makes the RAM. But so what? It's not like they only make one speed of RAM, is it? Maybe they're making faster chips and NVIDIA will use them for this card.

11. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    Lets say the rumors are true and these cards run @550 (what delta?) 1800. How much more performance are we looking at? 30%?

2 of these in SLI:eek: Can you say CPU bottle neck:p

12. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Aye, I can...

13. Ben the Great

Ben the Great Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtech Winfast A400THD (Geforce6800NU @ 354/768)
    Well, anything above 500/1500 will definately give nV back the performance crown... Though I hear that the nV design is less efficient for low res fillings and the ati is better at it so they will still get more performance/pipe. But since nV has nearly 50% more pipes the slightly slower clock won't matter. Anything over 500/1500 is extra.

So, if the claim is correct and they get to 550/1800, at 1600x1200 full IQ, you'd get max 10% improved performance over the x1800xt and max 30% improvement over the standard 7800gtx (if your cpu is up to the task).

I do hope they'll call it ultra. Just sounds better... :D

Anyway the x1800xt isn't available yet in stores afaik, so this improved 7800gtx might just be in time... :p

Hmmm, I'm drooling over it allready... maybe have a new system a bit sooner than planned...

*dreaming: x4800+, 2GB, 7800 512MB, x-fi, 1TB,....*SNAP* ah crap: total cost: $3000+ including some nice case and psu and mobo and.... :rolleyes:

14. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Damn. Thanks for reminding me of that :D

15. HeavyH20

HeavyH20 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 280 Tri SLI
    1800 MHz on the memory is ablsolute top spec of the memory. The 1.2 ns GDDR3 chips are spec'd at 800 Mhz, I would expect standard cards to be 1600 with some vendors releasing "extreme" models at 1800 if we follow current trends. And, remember, this is the RAM that ATI is already using on the XT. Here are the rated speeds of available Samsung GDDR3:

K4J52324QC-BJ11 900MHz 1.8Gbps/pin - new GTX spec?

K4J52324QC-BJ12 800MHz 1.6Gbps/pin - x1800 XT, and now GTX?

K4J52324QC-BC14 700MHz 1.4Gbps/pin - x1800XL

K4J52324QC-BC16 600MHz 1.2Gbps/pin - 7800 GTX

K4J52324QC-BC20 500MHz 1.0Gbps/pin - 7800 GT

And, I wonder if the 550 core spec is the net clock (root plus delta) or the root clock before delta. Even if it is a 500 MHz root clockwith a 50 Mhz delta, that is more than a big bump over the current spec of 430.

Some predictions. I would expect single card stock scores on an X2 to be around 10,000 on 3Dmark05. I do not think that is high at all. Right now, with a 1350 memory clock and 500 root (550 net with delta) and an AMD 4000, you can get 8900 on 3Dmark05 at default driver settings. No tweaks.

You will see some OC values on the memory at 1GHz plus, if they do indeed use the fastest spec'd GDDR3.

16. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    :eek: You already have a GT!

That is an awesome number im seeing on the RAM! Isnt the new samsung stuff supposedlt extremly overcockable? Not to mention its ram, so you hardly have to worry about heat. You could pass 2000 on it! that would be insane.

17. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    the reason i heard that NV isnt using ultra is that they in the past had bad availability on ultra cards, and are afraid people will asociate a new ultra card with poor availability

but if these clocks are right, i really wonder how they are gonna pull of any kind of reasonable yields on 110nm.... so their GTX brand will become asociated with bad availability again after this....

18. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    An interesting point but Im not sure its going to be a problem. Why? The 110nm process is very mature and already was very mature walking into this generation. Hopefully this coupled with the added bonus of Nvidia being allowed another 6 months to refine the design if needed (think X800 to X850), add the extra cooling and speed bin large quantities of cores at the levels required should mean that there are plenty available on release. Also worth noting the GTX name has already proved itself as being widely available so it would have to go a long way (in the wrong direction) to alter public perception of the GTX brand imo and id doubt Nvidia would want that happenning.

Of course it could still all be a load of bollox. :)

Also worth bearing in mind, the fabled X1800XT PE hasnt been unveiled yet (if its coming) and the R580 is apparently ready and waiting in quantity in the wings and should be even more powerful. Should be an interesting few months should this article be true.

19. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    i really hope nvidia calls this card "ultra" or some other name, imho calling it GTX would be stupid, confusing, and selling themselves short

by the way, does anyone know if nvidia is working on a G80 (or nv50) and how far along they are? if ati has the r580 in reserve, nvidia might be able to blow the 520 out of the water with the 512 meg ultra, but against the 580......

20. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    nvidia is working on g80, but i have no idea whatsoever how far they have come.
    i dont think ati will introduce r580 anytime soon, if they do, r520 will be an enourmous loss, because they must have put in a lot of money on development, and if they introduce r580 now, none of it will be recuperated. My guess is that they will tweak it some more, and bring it on the market q2 or q3 of 2006 at the earliest.