7800GS... which one XFX, eVGA or BFG???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jose antonio, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jose antonio

jose antonio Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 4870 800/1000
    I'm planning to get a 7800GS, which brand would you recommend? XFX and eVGA have their overclocked versions of this card. BFG I think has lower clocks. Also which one has more overclocking potential??? XFX is 440mhz core and 1300mhz memory and eVGA 7800GS CO is just 10mhz lower on the core. In eVGA's website I've seen a superclocked version, which costs much more of course, 460mhz core and 1350mhz memory.

2. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I just got my eVGA 7800GS CO yesterday and it's working great. The eVGA stock speeds are 430 core & 1300 memory but Coolbits suggested 487 MHz core & 1.4 GHz memory and I'm sure it will go higher. Right now I'm running at 480 / 1400 with no issues - nice & cool also, - no aftermarket cooling needed.

Both cards are awesome but I prefer eVGA.
    eVGA has excellent customer service Dept. and the trade up program also. :nerd:

3. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    Yes! as estimator told you! eVGA has sure some pretty things to line up their products.But if you are opting for good deal,then surely look out for cards offered by these companies:
    BIG,XFX,MSI,GIGABYTE and GAINWARD!
    My personal suggestion would bt go for the Gainward golden sample! It is decently oc and comes with a amazing price tag.

4. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    Errrr... as you have already mentioned the choices, then go for a XFX product! It gives you decent coverage of warranty and uses pretty good components on their products, which should provide you with a good oc potential.

5. jose antonio

jose antonio Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 4870 800/1000
    Thanks guys. I'm between eVGA and XFX. Both would be great for sure. A big jump from my 9800 pro. BTW Estima8tor which are your scores in 3dmark03 and 05??? My 9800 pro scores almost 6k in 3dmark03, a 7800gs will at least double that with no problems. In 3dmark05 it scores around 2400-2500. But what really matters is the games. FEAR is one I would like to play with max settings, cause in medium quality 1024x768 right now I get only 31fps.

6. DJGizmo3

DJGizmo3 Guest

Dude whit an athlon 2.800 XP you wont get far with that card. I have an 3.4 ghz pentium 4 and i get an bottleneck in DOOM 3 at 1280 1024 4xaa ultra settings!!!

7. jose antonio

jose antonio Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 4870 800/1000
    DJGizmo3 how many fps do you get in Doom 3 at that resolution with those settings???

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Evga man. They have the awesome trade up program along with having outstanding support and nicely overclocking cards.

9. nathanstaples89

nathanstaples89 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    I say evga or BFG. evga cause so many people seem to like it (I haven't ever owned an evga card myself), and I say BFG because I am happy with my BFG card. :)

10. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    As a former BFG owner, I'm loving my EVGA 7800 GS Superclocked. It runs very cool when reasonably overclocked (about 50c max at load) and is just an all-around nice card. The other factors, EVGA's trade-up program and customer service, are the proverbial sundae "cherries."

11. indstr

indstr Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800 GS AGP @ 494 x 1390
    i got an evga 7800 gs (not pre-overclocked) .... i chose evga because the price was lowest, and also because they offer warranty even if you overclock your card

12. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    My PNY Geforce 6800 GS (AGP) Just arrived today. The extra Shader is perfect, The extra quad-pipe gives very tiny small white specs all over, although still playable with it unlocked I am very picky when it comes to my image. its either all or nothing. Oh well, so Its (12 pipes, 6shaders) for me :(. The extra quad only gives me like 600 more 3dmarks in 3dmark 03, like 20 more fps on the Fill rate multi-texturing.

Would you rma this card for another one to see if theirs better luck on the replacement card??? How would you go about doing this ??? Has anyone done this?

13. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I ran 3DMark 03 & 05 right after installation using 83.91 drivers:

Default speeds - 430 / 1300:

3DMark03 = 13396

3DMark05 = 6610

Haven't tried any benchmark since I overclocked - been to busy gaming.

My cpu may be bottlenecking the gpu a little but I've got this old AMD Barton humming along at 2.4 GHz and it can still hold it's own in gaming.

I upgraded from a 6800GT and some people say it's not worth the money but after playing FEAR and COD2 with this card, I'm completely satisfied - gaming satisfaction! :smoke: (At least for another 10 or 12 months)

I highly recommend the eVGA.

14. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080TI/1080TI/VEGA
    Try to read my thread if you are interested... Leadtek ...
    I posted some results ...
    I see a lot of people trying to help you chose so I don't know what to say...
    I will go with the lowest clock card because it's cheap and you can OC to 500 and 1300 easily ... It depends what you prefer ... If you have the money to buy any 7800GS go for the most expensive and fully waranted card and I've seen some upgrade possibility at few companies that is INDEED very NICE !
    Here in Romania where I live UPGRADE is not working ... you have to buy a new card and sell the old one in a newspaper or to a friend ... Computer companies here sucks ... (BIG THIEVES)

15. Jodean

Jodean Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800GS CO@ 510/1200
    THats only because pentium suckssss