1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7800GS, help please... 2 questions/problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by malcolms, Nov 27, 2006.

1. malcolms

malcolms New Member

Hi, I just installed a new BFG 7800 GS OC. The first 3 or 4 times I tried to power it up, I wouldn't get any image on screen and my 4 optical drive lights would keep blinking on and off. I tried securing the power and IDE cables and after 2 or 3 more failed attempts at booting up normally, it finally did mysteriously :eek:neeye: Now after I installed my drivers (94.71), I notice that one of my SATA drives is no longer being detected (I know its not driver related, I just thought I'd let ya know which drivers I installed). Could it be that my power supply is not enough for the second hard drive? I do have quite a bit of peripherals hooked up to my PSU (AS500W), 4 Optical Drives, 2 SATA hard drives, and 6 case fans. The PSU has 34A on the 12V rail according to its specs, and the requirements say you need 20A, so I didn't think that it would be a problem...

Anyways, apart from not having my drive I d/l movies on anymore, the card is working exceptionally. I'm OC'ing it with RivaTuner to 475/1375 with the stock cooler and I'm not seeing any artifacts in Oblivion (1280x1024, Bloom, 4 AA, Most settings maxed, no grass) or 3DMark06, but ATI Tools gets artifacts at around 425/1275. My temps when fully loaded with fan speed at 100% running 3DMark or Oblivion never go over 61 celcius. So, I just wanna know, is that too high a temp or am I safe to keep OC'ing the way I am? Any help from any of you pros would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Intel 875PBZ
    P4 3.2Ghz Prescott
    2GB Dual Channel ShikaXRAM
    BFG 7800GS
    2... (maybe 1 now =/) Seagate SATA 160 GB HDD's

2. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Ti 2Gb X2 SLI
    61C during load is actually pretty good. Everyone has their own comfort zone regarding GPU and CPU temps and of course it depends on the card too.

My comfort zone is 68 to 70C or less during load, but anything below 72C is a pretty safe area. In reality your GPU could probably take considerable more heat than that, but why risk it.

To keep my GPU temps down I keep my case door cover off and I always air dust every nook and cranny every two weeks.

I have seen so many people burn out their Video cards because they fail to dust properly and heat from a clogged fan kills it. I mean you gotta take that card out and shoot it good. I myself found a way around that by using an extra long nossel on my air duster so I can get in the fan vents good without removing the card.

3. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    I need to add myself to this thread.

With my 7800 GS, temperature remains below 62C on full load... and I don't see any artifact whatsoever even if I clock the card to 480/1400 when playing Oblivion, BF2, NWN2 and so on... I mean playing it for hours.

But if I load up Ati Tool, and set the card to default speed (375/1200), 5 second after the scan for artifact starts.... immediately Ati Tool reports artifacts.
    And artifact keep on appearing on the test even when Ati Tool automaticaly downclock GPU and Memory.

You tell me...

4. Psym

Psym Member

GPU:
    GALAXY 8800 GTS @ 650/1822
    i dunno if there is diffrence in agp and pci-e temps. But my oced 7800(617/1422) runs with 55 C in full load(call of juarez with everything on,winamp,other stuff in the backgrtound).

5. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Your particular verson of 7800gs uses a 7900 type GPU and would therefore be expected to run cooler than any of the trully 7800 chip based cards.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    I am a bit surprised that ATItool shows artifacts with your card at original defaults. However, possibly means that either, your current version of ATItool is faulty, or, the artifacts are influenced by something other than your graphics card?

Since certain mobo components can also cause artifacts, maybe you should check if the artifacts still show after setting CPU/RAM back to their defaults?

7. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Welcome to Guru3d !

The AS500W psu could be your problem?

Although the manufacturer quotes the +12v line as having a "max" rating of 34A, they also quote a "normal" rating of 25A. Who therefore knows the real 12v rating, especially when you also load up all the other lines of the psu. So, its certainly possible that your "quite a bit of peripherals" is just a bit too much for the psu?

Of course, maybe it's just that your second SATA drive is faulty? However, very easy to check by simply substituting drives?

:)

8. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    No Jimmor, same thing happens when CPU is a stock and HT disabled.
    Even setting the clocks down to 2D mode (275/1200) the problem persists.

9. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    What version of ATItool are you using?

10. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    0.25 Beta 16
    Can try different one but I thought that the "stable" release would have been too old for this video card.

Add:
    Just tried 0.24 which doesnt recognize my video card, but the 3d view works and it does detect artifacts... -_-

11. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    I currently use ATItool 0.25 beta 16 pre8 and find the artifact testing to be very good at detecting too high an overclock ?

And I normally have the artifact detect slider all the way to the LHS, which means being even more sensitive to artifacts!

Of course, maybe its just that ATItool has compatibility issues with your particular setup ---> always got to keep in mind that it is a continually developing piece of software ?

:)

12. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Aye I thought about that.
    The problem being the lack of other good artifact detecting tools :/
    Unless you tell me otherwise..

Add: Same thing also with the 0.25 Beta 16 pre8 version.

13. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Don't currently know of any other tools for detecting artifacts.

Mind you, since ATItool doesn't actually load a card very much, probably the best, and only real, way is still by visual monitoring of what happens when the card is continually stressed through loop-testing with 3dmark06, games, etc ?

14. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Yes and that's what I've been doing for 3 hours yesterday. Had my eyes begging for rest...

15. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The worthwhile things in life never seem to be easy do they ? :)

16. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Ehehe shame.
    Honest, I'm so tempted to RMA (also to get a G71) but as someone else said, I haven't got enough "faults" to ask for it... :/

17. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    I RMA'd a 7800GS that didn't overclock at all and had artifacts in Ati-tool at stock speeds. I just made something up(don't remember what), BFG gave me no problems. This card is a monster, being G71 helps.

18. malcolms

malcolms New Member

Thanks for the info and advice. I haven't tried switching the SATA drives yet, maybe tomorrow (too busy downloading and trying out Oblivion mods XD). Are there 2 different versions of the BFG 7800 GS OC? One with a G70 core and another with a G71 core? From pictures on sites I've seen, there is one that has the green and white with the BFG logo on the cooling unit and a greend board, and then there's the one that I have that has a clear cooler unit with a copper heatsink inside it and blue LED's on the fan on a blue board (please, oh please tell me that this is the G71 version, if there is such a thing =P).

19. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    If it's G71 you can check it with rivatuner.
    Just install it and launch , first screen you should see something like :
    256-bit G70 revision A1 (16pp,6vp)
    (mind this is what it says for my 7800GS non G71..:'' )

20. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    Yours is the G71 core, I have the exact same card.