780 TI 6GB Version

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blakedj06, Jan 11, 2014.

1. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

read the rest in the edit too,Eclap.

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Sure. Use it with care tho. Some might not be able to handle that comment.. lol!

Actually I never disagreed with you in the first place... :D

This whole thing reminds of the below video:
    http://youtu.be/kQFKtI6gn9Y?t=1m18s

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Vram is mirrored, but graphics card is not source of data for system memory.
    System memory is cache used by graphics card to store additional resources before they are needed.

Unless you have sckt.2011 which provides 2x 16PCIe +8 lanes (40), you have something like 1155/FM2/AM3 which is limited to 1x 16PCIe lanes.

And as multiple GPUs mirror their resources you have to deliver data to all of them before you can start processing. Which means that time to get data to 2 cards is twice as long as to get same amount of data to 1 card. For 4 cards it takes 4times more time even if you had PLX bridges which would tell cards that all have PCIe 16 connection available.

Because that all has to go through CPU which does not have 64 PCIe lanes, as poor i5-2500k and other victims on sckt.1155 have only real 16 PCIe lanes.

This all means that once multi gpu solution runs out of vram and needs to fetch data from system memory, impact on performance is much higher than one gpu solution.

One of the funniest things is that people here may be calling their decrease of fps to 10fps in BF4 with 200% scaling GPU performance bottleneck. But if that goes down from average 100fps and they have SLI with 2GB vram.
    This decrease of performance may just as well be caused by need for resources from system memory with every single frame.

There is simple test for it. Test game on resolutions from 800x600, note amount of vram used, measured fps and calculate Total Number of Pixels on Screen.
    - Finalize by making correlation between number of pixels on screen and fps, looking for breaking point based on vram utilization.
    - If breaking point is not reached as vram is not fully utilized before reaching maximum resolution, repeat with scaling to 200% without AA
    - can be repeated with AA without scaling or with both scaling to 200% and AA

One nice thing would be to compare 4k screenshot IQ on 2GB vs 4GB version of same card, to confirm if BF4 really forces lower texture LoD as vram is fully utilized.

And btw, I've seen in some post about card with 1.5GB vram + 2.5GB virtual totaling as 4GB texture pool. There is reason why GPU manufacturers did not gave way to AGP texturing but rather increased real vram, it's called bandwidth.

4. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  6. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

well,the cpu and vc's are about $5000 alone. The ram about $500. The mb about $600. I don't even want to know about the tv's.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    If I was really crazy on unlimited budget, I would not go for 4k TVs as there are already 4k projectors.
    I would warmly welcome home curved wall and 3x 4k projectors to remove those nasty screen edges.
    But I guess I'll have to do with Oculus Rift to get decent viewing angle.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't forget that PC is water cooled id say the PC alone is around $8000 in parts alone. The TV's are probably around $55-65K a piece. So maybe $200,000.

9. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

Fox, a 360 view beats a limted frontal view of gaming anyday. I actually tried the early prototpes of vr in the 90's. It was a standing pod with the vr helmet that was toured around arcades. The problem with it was that the cord attached to the vr helmet was limted in mobility to less than 360 degress. It was game where you were shooting down dragons in the sky with a vr pistol. It was actually a plastic hand grip pistol that was similated in vr.

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Have to say that there's a lot that sounds like BS in that article

"AIC Partners are waiting for the GTX Titan inventory to clear up" - Hmmm well they're gunna be waiting for a long time because nobody is buying Titan anymore.

"We see that the Current Gaming trend is moving towards a 4k Standard and where resolution is concerned" - You what? A 780TI can only just handle 120fps @ 1080p and 120hz+ IS where gaming is moving towards (at least serious gamers anyway :)

I'm not saying we'll never see a 6GB TI, infact I think the chances are that we will because Nvidia will delay the top end Maxwell until the end of this year at least. I'm just not sure that any of the 'facts' in this article are very reliable especially this bit "We expect that the GTX 780 Ti 6GB Edition should start shipping in a short time span"

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I looked up the titan yesterday and they were all sold out. There may be some truth to that especially if the 6gb 780ti is going to cost less than the titan.

12. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Fair enough, over here they are still available but yes, definitely less of them. I can't imagine anybody is buying them now unless they are going for a 4K or 3 screen SLI setup.

13. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

southhamptonfc, have you ever the concept of recycling? If Nvidia they will recall of the titans left out there, send them to tsmc to be recycled and used again in maxwell/ 780 ti 6gb. And yes, if you align Nvidia's marketing, they will only be interested in max 1440p gaming since their only have monitor partners and themselves about to sell monitors and nvidia right now selling on the geforce site diy kits for the consumer (for the asus vg248qe) due to their g-sync technology being up to a 27' monitor like I said at 1440p rez. So, the horsepower of a gtx 780 ti at a cost efficent price would be welcomed. In others, Nvidia, stop your price premiums on vram.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Pretty sure the extra shaders are laser cut. 780ti has 2880 titan 2688 iirc.

15. Kevin S

Kevin S New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC / 2GB
    I wish I could just send a PM, but I've to reach 15 posts yet :p

So, I'll ask here instead :D

I was reading this thread today and you guys said something about raising the VRAM of your video cards?

Is that really possible?

I'm struggling on my modded Skyrim at the moment on my GTX 680 SC 2GB.

It is using around 2.3GB of VRAM ( I assume ), and it keep giving me lag spikes when it overloads the VRAM. There is anything I can do to raise it a little? I have a lot of RAM to use and they're operating at 2133.

I don't know much about the technical stuff, but there is any solution to my problem?

Where I live, a 780/780TI costs around 1500/1600 USD, so, I would love to pass on that =/

Thank you very much for your time!

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    They might be overclocking the ram but you can't increase it.You have what you have and that's it.You might have to lower some texture detail or something else to lower the amount of ram used someone else that owns the game will have to help with that part.

17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Thats where the Catch is, This is the MAIN reason why I will NEVER go to a second gtx 690 because of 2gb limit(mirrored), the package box might say 4GB, thats where the catch is, soon as you go over 2gb vram, your games wont even budge and now starting to take the hint.

So that new if it comes out, the gtx 790(10gb vram on the card total/5gb vram per gpu) still = 5gb, even in sli, still = 5gb vram :).

5gb is very plenty for me, shoot, I go so crazy with nvidia inspector and its aa settings that I can make older games eat will over my frame buffer, thank goodness I didnt go to 2560X1600 resolution the way I do my settings, I would be in major trouble.

I'll move up the resolution once I get another dual card perhaps with at least 4gb vram, 3gb of vram @ 2560X1600 and how I do my settings = out of frame buffer.

So 5-6 is going to be plenty.

I am ALL IQ, no exceptions.

I'll sacrifice IQ over performance, any day over the year, 24/7.

If any portion of any image on the screen starts to flicker,crawl,jaggies = I am unsatisfied, I'll crank it up until the game moves to almost unplayable, depending on game, some games move alright even at low fps.

LOL I even played tera online at 9-10 fps, moved alright, Cranked down some aa settings within nvidia inspector, now moves closer to 20, doesnt look as clean but moves smoother. :)

If its playable = great, if its starting to become unplayable, jock down the aa settings within nvidia inspector to the next setting down.

Thanks a Macaroni for nvidia inspector = Nvidia's best friend ever and your not kidding about that...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    5GB vram is a sweet spot imo, for 1440p and beyond with lots of AA, you will run out of gpu power before vram... in 1-2 years that is. :)

19. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

Solfaur, when you talk about running out of gpu power, you are talking about not having enough cuda cores or smx shader clusters (same thing, just many to the clustered few)to keep up,right? Well, if so, that makes just common sense. It's like the 10% usage of the human brain. Sooner or later, that barrier will be broken too due to needing more "cpu or gpu like power" to contain the information needed to run the hardware (in this case, the brain).

20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Even older games, even if I am not out of frame buffer, the games or benchmark in general will toss my card out like it was nothing.