780 not working with 1080Ti on Threadripper

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by noktek, Nov 17, 2017.

1. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    've put together a new PC for 3d modelling, rendering and illustration

Its a threadripper 1950 with x399Taichi, and a 1080Ti.

I also wanted to add a 780SC i have around so that CUDA based rendering will be almost twice as fast!

The cards work fine on their own on different systems, but as soon as i put them together in the threadripper, the 780 displays the yellow triangle in the device manager and gives Code 43

If i decide to uninstall the card and reboot nothing changes. He eventually finds the drivers installs them (they are the same for the 1080 anyway) and nothing changes.

If i decide to screen output through the 780, as soon as the nvidia drivers are installed the screen goes black.

basically the 780 is detected but its a zombie dummy sitting by.
    If i remove uninstall the 780 it then shows up as VGA adapter displaying no errors.

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    Obvious question will be - Have you updated to latest Bios?

Other then that I would suggest writing to ASRock, or at least ask on their forums.

As it sounds like compatibility issue.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Have you tried the 780 on its own in the Threadripper system?

If you did and it worked, then did you try the 780 in different PCI-E slots? Threadripper is basically two modules glued together, and each module is connected to different PCI-E slots.

4. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    yes i have been running 1.8, ive now went back to 1.7 to give it a show but no luck so back to 1.8. i did write to asrock this morning but no answer yet
    yes im pretty sure i tried every combination possible yesterday, ill try again now that ive changed a couple of things anyway... its only 3 available slots anyway since one is blocked by cables

my impression is that something, somewhere, somehow, thinks the 780 is another 1080Ti but then behaves differently and he trips over

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Completely understandable for 780 to be shy in a presence of 1080i...

On a serious note - are you sure your PSU have the juice to pull all 3 cards?

6. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    yeah its kinda funny, i put the 780 in my other rig together with the 275 and the same issue happened but to the 275 with the 780 being the alpha :)
    anyway its 1200watt and only 2gpus (1080+780), so it should be plenty!
    I just realized the 4pins power connector wasnt plugged in to the MOBO (the one near the exhaust vent behind), but it does not happear to have changed things :/

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Are both systems using the same drivers 388+?

780 modded bios?

8. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    what do you mean with modded bios? ive installed the official 1.80 uefi from asrocks website

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    No, Emperor means did you mod your Gtx 780 bios? That can cause problems.

10. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    no i havent, but now that you ask it is a EVGA 780 SuperClocked, so they might have modded something indeed... how would i go about finding out?

edit: besides using google which i am doing now

11. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    so i see a lot of people talking about edited bioses for gpus but i cant find information on whether the preinstalled one might be noxious...

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Only modded ones; default from factory isn't modded.

You might try updating vbios to latest version though.
    You can find it on techpowerup, just google your cards model

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I know this question was already asked before, but are you sure it's not your power supply?

1200 watts should be plenty, yes. However, if your power supply has rails (and i'd say that's likely, but maybe not) then it could still be an issue if you are plugging in the two graphics cards to the same rail. What is your PSU model, and do you know if it has rails, and do you know if your connected the GPUs to different rails if it has rails?

I ask, because i looked up the code 43, and someone said the code was being given to him because one of his PCI-Express 6 pin power connectors was not plugged in all the way and he did not realize it, being on the same railing could potentially cause an issue.

Other people have stated uninstalling (if you have it installed) Virtu MVP

Some are also saying to install older graphics drivers (347.09 was the one given in the thread)

I also read this:

"NVidia have confirmed that they will support cards from 400 to 900 series but if you mix certain combinations, then the first to boot will be the only one to work - the second card will display a code 43 in device manager."

Which does not make me confident that what you're trying to do will work, sadly lol

14. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    hi, thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for the late reply, was offline until now

Ill do right now, thanks!

I have no clue what rails are, ill try to find out myself, somehow im feeling extremely overwhelmed by all these things i have to learn all at once :p ill try to find out, anyway the model its a 1200Hx by corsair! In a tomshardware review they do mention rails so i guess it has them? but what are those, and how would i go about changing things? move the cables to a different "slot" on the psu?
    I dont have virtu MVP, but ill try the 347,09 right now, i dont think ive ever gone so far back, i think i had stopped around 355 or so?

http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/hx-ser...-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu-na
    this is the gpu i have, it has a switch which is described as "Toggle single +12V rail or multi +12V rail mode."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    there is a certain link provided by a user on another forum that gives me hope:
    http://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/gpu?page=18
    the third entry displays a 1080 along a 780 on a ryzen 7, which could give some hope even if its not exactly a 1950... and it does not mention what brand the gpu is

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Interesting thread I hope you figure-out the issue, My opinion the Power-supply schould in theory be ok its one of the best models.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    yeah it's a single rail so you are fine in that department.

18. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    So today i have:
    - tested again the 780 alone on my other system and it works perfectly
    -tried the card on each slot of the x399 and none worked
    -disconnected and reconnected all cables making sure i have cpu/pcie cables used properly
    -tried to switch my PSU from single to multiple ("Toggle single +12V rail or multi +12V rail mode. In the “SINGLE” position, the full output capability of the power supply’s +12V rail is available to any and all connectors, while in the “MULTIPLE” position, each individual connector has Over-Current Protection so no more than 40A of current can be delivered on any given cable.")
    -tried to install drivers in safe mode, and it named the device correctly and did not display errors (but upon launching blender it said i dont have proper hardware)
    -tried to copy said installed drivers from safe mode over to normal mode with an installer, and black screen happens again
    -uninstalled everything with DDU and tried multiple other older drivers starting from the one provided in the EVGA CDrom back in 2014

now i ran out of time for the day, what i have not tried so far:

-BIOS reset on the GPU. I guess id have to do that on the older machine?
    I tried looking on techpowerup and i found 4 BIOS that seem to match the P/N of the 780SC (03G-P4-2784-KR). although from what i can read they dont seem to differ much (besides the latest one having 100% max fan speed) and i dont know how to proceed and/or if it makes sense?
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/139391/evga-gtx780-3072-130514
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/141919/evga-gtx780-3072-130531-2
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/142776/evga-gtx780-3072-130702
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/145636/evga-gtx780-3072-130704

are these all official? should i just pick the latest?

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I noticed on another forum you stated you:

"so i thought i might aswell try and plug the 6 pin power connector that is described as "needed if running 4 gpus", but then the pc does not turn on..."

And this is alarming and honestly making me think your board is not working as intended. Connecting a power plug in, even if the PC does not need it (since you are not running 4 GPUs) should not cause the system to not boot. All you are doing is providing power if the board needs it, and there is no reason for that to cause an issue.

Also, i may be crazy, but i don't see a 6-pin power connector on that motherboard?

i see a 4 pin, an 8 pin, and a 24 pin, am i blind?

Edit, nevermind it's at an angle, lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  20. noktek

noktek Member

GPU:
    1080ti 780SC
    I had used a wrong cable I think, if I remember correctly I have changed it and it worked afterwards.. I'm out for dinner now so I can't double proof but I'll check tomorrow and let you know for sure!