7700k stutters?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Mithan, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Mithan

Mithan New Member

GPU:
    980 Ti
    I am thinking about upgrading my 2500k to a 7700k. It will be paired to my older 980 Ti, which I believe is choked right now, so I should end up seeing a nice boost from both the CPU and GPU, though I am still unsure if it is "worth it".

I play at 1440p on an Acer XB270HU Gsynch Monitor and will have 2x8GB GSkill CL15 memory.

The motherboard I am looking at is the Z270 MSI Gamer Pro Carbon.

Anyways, so I was doing my research and such and came across somebody trying to tell me that the 7700k stutters a lot in games.

I think this is the first time I have heard about this from a 7700k...

Any ideas? Something to worry about ?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Sounds like random BS of someone who read something on the internet he/she didn't understand.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The quality of the information depends of the source of the information.
    If the source is shady, well...you know what to do.

4. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've heard similar reports and had also stutter visually evident in some test videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1p...tu.be&t=15m34s

stutter example on 7700K:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDjx-tW_WQ&t=104s

But it seems kind of obvious that a fully utilized 7700K with 4 cores running at 100% won't have any resources left during gameplay if the OS only does a small thing in the background -> stutter appears.
    So if you have any AV thing running or a browser open... or simply Windows Update starts downloading a new update (without even installing it!) then you may see that...

5. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Simply put, a normal modern chip that isn't damaged in any way and that is set up correctly won't be the cause of any kind of stuttering during games unless your overloading it with garbage in the background. And with something like a 7700k, that's pretty hard to do when its set up properly. Read up on how to configure your bios and OS properly for general use and for gaming and you should be fine with your upgrade.

Have you tried overclocking your 2500k already though? Just a thought if you want to save some cash. Those things are actually still pretty viable for general gaming using a single GPU if you hit higher clocks on water.

6. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well stuttering will occur on any system that is on 100% CPU load and tries to additionally perform other actions. Regardless how "undamaged" it is.
    If you encode video on 16 threads with a Ryzen and then start a game, it will stutter as well.

It always depends what processes you have running and how the underlying OS manages CPU resource (in addition to priority and affinity settings by userland)...

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I bought a 6700K to alleviate game stuttering when CPU limited, which it did.
    A 7700K will give the same experience at least.

8. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302

I was somewhat in the same situation as you are now, and was going for pretty much the same components, I had I5 3470/z77 mobo/8gb of 1333mhz with a GTX1070 (more or less similar to the 980TI). Your CPU is actually better.

Anyway I upgraded to what I have now and satisfied beyond expectations.
    I play at 1080p/144hz and in some games go up to 4K DSR.

So far I didn't notice any kind of stuttering, and I am actually really exigent about stuttering.

Although I didn't try a LOT of new games, I play MGS5 TPP(1080p)/The Witcher 3(1080p)/FF13(4KDSR)/Xenoverse 2(4KDSR)/Heroes of Newerth(1080p) mostly.

About the Z270 Gaming pro carbon, I went for it because it was pretty cheap at the time, and I'm not disappointed, I'm not a hardcore overclocker though, but the BIOS menu is neat, and has plenty of tweaking potential.
    No issues so far.

Since Ryzen is really close, maybe you should wait a bit to get a nice discount on Kaby Lakes, or even go for Ryzen, but if you don't want to wait (like me) this is still a pretty solid choice imo.

9. Behelit

Behelit Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Hydro
    I got myself the 7700K too recently. I've been testing my setup for days. I don't have any stutter what so ever. It's super stable. I've seen some people claiming that it stutters but it's mostly AMD fanbois who emplify something that someone said on the internet. If you watch Ryzen review you can see them talking about it in the comments while not having the chip themselfs.

Anyway if you live in europe check this out : http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/172561124990?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    I got it from him, awesome price and he will delid it for you for free

10. insp1re

insp1re Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
    id keep the 2500k and overclock it to around 4.5-4.8, would be perfectly fine for another year or so of gaming.

11. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    There were some reports from BF1 stuttering, but not everybody suffered this.
    So if anything stutters, it has to do with what vase already described, and the game not being optimized yet. Something that has become familiar the past years.

As for improvements, sure, if the game in question requires more cpu power, then it will give more fps. Same for multithreaded games.
    But many games don't require that much from the cpu, more from the gpu instead. And I don't believe your current cpu would hold your gpu back in that scenario.
    On the other hand, if you love mp shooters, you want every extra fps you can get, while gtav type of games play very well with vsync enabled.

Either way, going for the 7700k is a good choice.