7600gs + hdmi + nvidia drivers + onboard sound = weirdness

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by devolution23, Aug 11, 2010.

1. devolution23

devolution23 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 9800GT 512MB
    i've encountered a weird problem with one of the machines in my office. it's running Windows XP and has a Geforce 7600GS with DVI & HDMI ports. i'm using the HDMI to connect to a Samsung 60" plasma HDTV. it's strictly for low-power presentations like Powerpoint or AutoCAD or PDFs, so the card doesn't have to be beefy (or recent, for that matter).

the sound is the onboard Realtek AC'97, output to the RCA jacks on the TV's HDMI audio. i've tried three different nvidia driver versions (83.40, 97.xx, and 185.85) and this issue manifests with all three versions:

* if there's no driver installed at all (except the default VGA) the sound works fine through the TV, but the highest resolution i can get is 1280x1024.

* once i install the driver, the resolution changes to the native one for the TV, but the sound doesn't work through the TV anymore. however, if i unplug the cable to the TV and plug in regular speakers, the sound works fine through those.

i'm stumped on this one. i can't figure out if it's an nvidia driver problem or if it's something to do with the Samsung TV and how it handles audio when it's using the HDMI source.

at this point i would be happy to get a newer card that has HDMI output, but i don't know which one to get that would work correctly with this setup. ideally i would be able to correct whatever is causing this and continue to use the 7600 instead of having to buy a new card.

if anyone can shed some light on what's going on here or offer advice as to a newer card that has HDMI output and will work with this setup (and not cost a lot), i'd greatly appreciate it.

2. setinstone31

setinstone31 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    wow that's really strange. Make sure your PC is set to use audio through HDMI (playback devices) also try using a different HDMI Cable, if not it has to be the card, just get a Radeon 5450. If you don't want a new card, hook analog speakers up to the computer

3. devolution23

devolution23 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 9800GT 512MB
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You consider proper functionality to be a problem?

I'm curious as to what 7600GS you have that has an HDMI port, as the GeForce7 series didn't support HDMI at all. Also, HDMI being a digital connection, the TV itself should ignore analog inputs since HDMI cables carry audio as well as video.

Personally, I'd be pissed if I connected my computer to my TV using an HDMI cable...and the TV still accepted analog sound input....

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I have a Nvidia 7650GS (MSI), with DVI HDMI and VGa so it's entirely possible.
    Anyway OP, if your mobo as a spdif header then link that to the graphics card and it will do the sound over HDMI then.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The only information I can find on a GeForce 7650GS is that it was an OEM card and nVidia doesn't acknowledge it's existance.

Prior to the GT200 series, nVidia cards lacked full native HDMI support. G210 was nVidia's first card to have full, native HDMI support. GeForce8 cards were the first to actually support HDMI, though requiring an external audio source via SPD/IF. The GPUs used for the GeForce 7 series only supported HDMI through the use of a DVI->HDMI adapter.

7. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    There are no less than four different reference PCBs, all labeled 7600 GS.

The first one released just had DVI, D-Sub (VGA), and S-Video.
    The second release had DVI, HDMI, and D-Sub.
    The third release had DVI, HDMI and D-Sub (VGA).
    The fourth release had two DVI ports and a S-video port.

Nvidia didn't bother to differentiate these three different reference PCBs with different names. They were all just called 7600 GS.

The second and third releases both support audio-in via a 2-pin S/PDIF input pinheader on the PCB, so you can pipe audio from your sound card or on-board sound solution out through an HDMI connection. The first and fourth releases did not have the 2-pin S/PIDF port on-board. But I suppose you could take a PCB from the second release a replace the HDMI port with a DVI port, just to confound me.

It's very confusing. Thanks, Nvidia!

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Actually...the DVI port can probably easily be replaced by an HDMI port. They're both digital outputs and can also output audio. I used a DVI->HDMI cable with my GTX275 along with SPD/IF to output video and audio to my TV for watching blu-ray movies. Not all the pins in the DVI connector are used for video and nVidia's partners have chosen, in some cases, to use the blank pins to pass audio in cases where a capable adapter is in use.

Almost every card these days have multiple PCB's thanks to board partners being permitted to design custom PCBs.

My 7600GS AGP had 2 x DVI ports, 1 S-Video....thanks BFG spinoff company who's name I can't remember but started with a G....

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Doesn't change the fact that it does have a HDMI port. When you said it couldn't support it.