6GHz Core i9-13900KS outperforms the Core i9-13900K by 10%.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It will be a halo show off product to say "hey we are the first to maintain 6GHZ for couple of seconds...".
    This little bugger, going to throttle his life out of him.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well... you could always cool it using the vacuum of space then use custom BIOS settings to maintain 6GHz. If you're buying a cherry picked halo CPU, you might as well have it installed in space while you're at it. Anything that'll put any pressure on AMD and vice versa is good, even if it's a goofy showoff item like this.

moab600 likes this.
  4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Let's see AMD rolling their sleeves out and bring the X3D variants already...

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Until 7950X3D comes out?!

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I'll probably skip this gen all together, but yeah.
    7950X3D could be the top of the hill easily, it's actually there now along with the 13900K.

Valken likes this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I know you didn't mean it literally, but I feel like I still need to point out that the vacuum of space isn't great at cooling things. There's nothing in vacuum that absorbs heat energy, after all. If you consider typical coolers for PCs, they rely on an airflow to take the excess heat away from the components, either directly or via a liquid medium, but the liquid will also be cooled by the airflow through a radiator. In the vacuum of space, there's no such flow, and thus thermal conduction leads nowhere, which is a big deal. The only way to loose heat in the vacuum is by infrared radiation. Consequently it's no coincidence the best thermos flasks are vacuum insulated.

Liquid nitrogen is loved by extreme overclockers because it's in a great lack of heat energy, as the nitrogen wants to turn back into gas, which is a more comfortable form for it, requiring a lot of heat energy from the surroundings to do it. A CPU or a GPU is glad to donate that thermal energy.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  8. Typhon Six Six Six

Typhon Six Six Six Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX
    I had fun playing with my 13700kf. 5.5ghz all core stable on a cheap z690 MSI LOL!! 33k in CB, but it's real great at gaming. If you can de-lid I'm sure I could get the KS to 6ghz all core stable. Judging by the improvements made already with 13th gen. I also noticed compared to 11th/12th gen, disabling the E-cores nets no performance. Also, memory latency is lower than 12th gen.

9. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Impressive, very nice...

Let's see that power consumption.

10. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Look for PSU with this sticker:

[​IMG]

11. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    5.5ghz allcore is around 13900k speeds, so even a cheap Z690 should as minimum be able to run a stock 13900k and the 13700k with half e-cores should use less power.

A 13900KS at 6ghz allcore is a large jump in power, guessing something like 400W, Nizzen can probably confirm that number, because he has a good 13900k already so it is probably same quality as a KS.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Halo product , good cpu that will need custom water cooling to tame the heat , same thing will happen when those amd 7950x3D / 7900x3D and 7800x3D are release , they all will run extremely hot , be it AMD x3D cpu's or this 13900KS at 6Ghz = High end custom water cooling only , no AIO is going to keep this incoming cpu's cool enough without heavily throtling , and forget about air cooling :p no need to apply.

Valken and Airbud like this.
  13. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    13900KS will be the hottest CPU maybe ever, for the hard core overclockers and I agree with @chispy 100%,if you are a fool and just like big numbers for PC gaming then you will be able to play PC games just fine on a AIO but forget anything else using those clocks for serious work without some Mora action

Valken, Airbud and chispy like this.
  14. Typhon Six Six Six

Typhon Six Six Six Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX
    I'm sure the right chip can do it. I can actually hit 5.6 but I'm not de-lidded and this time I won't be going that route because all core temps are even. I was going to get a better z790 and i9 but decided to stick with lower end save like $400.

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Or maybe we can just use a BoseEinstein condensate to cool cpus in the near future instead. ^^

16. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Nope...that is just Hollywood talk - you couldn't cool a rice pea with the condensate in lab conditions - their ability to cool (drain heat from other materials) is very low in reality but hey, we could dream about it. I think that something must be done with these CPU architectures nowadays - either on cooling front or the architecture itself. Too much heat from these beasts now and not many solutions to control it. In the past a custom loop or even AIO was an exotic thing used only for bragging or some serious overclocking but today it's become normal or even recommended with some top end CPU's.

So, in the wise words from GTA VC: "somebody do something"

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  17. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    That would be the worst cooling that you have never made. Space is maybe the worst place to cool things down.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I could not agree more , the cooling required to run stock things without throttling on the top parts is almost at 2010 enthusiast solution level ... That's why I also said in the past undervolting is getting so much more traction .

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The solution is simple, lower the clocks.

Multi core CPUs don`t need to run at extreme speeds just to be faster in benchmarks...

The same for GPUs.

20. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    This is not a fix - this is a compromise.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022