1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6c/12t hyperthreading vs 6c/6t and 8c/8t in the near and coming future?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by alexander1986, Apr 14, 2019.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    feels hard to decide between for example 8700k and 9700k , do you think the 6c/12t of 8700k will be more and more useful in game engines as they develop, or will the 2 extra real cores on 9700k always be better no matter what?

do any games today leverage and fully utilize for example a 8700k and its 12 total threads? does the 9700k beat it every time? also how do you see 6c/6t cpus like 9600k holding up in these circumstances/scenarios with future/most recent games, I think I read that latest unreal engine can leverage more than 8 threads, but not sure if thats correct and if for example a 8700k would perform better than a 9700k in that case, on the same clockspeed for example?

appreciate any thoughts and comments on this !

2. blurp33

blurp33 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti on H2O
    alexander1986 likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    4c8t is what i would say minimum for gaming today. I've seen few games and few members of this forum complaning how some of the games recently (Anthem, Divison 2, AC Odyssey) peg 100% usage even on these cpus result in stuttering . I would say 6c/12t is nice if you want to have some headroom and its a sweet spot.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    1. I suspect many users forget the fact that no thread can stall one CPU/core for all the time. Windows is OS with preemptive multitasking which means any thread has limited amount of time (called quantum) to be executed by the core. After its quantum is finished the tread is preempted by another one.
    2. Also I suspect many users think that any thread loads core for 100% for the span of its quantum. Which is not true in majority of cases.

I mean the more expertly game is coded the less cores are needed. When people say that game utilizes 8 threads that doesn`t automatically mean that 8 cores are needed for it.

Games do not create such load which requires as many cores as possible. We can`t compare the user`s rig under the game load with (say) some Internet/Intranet server which executes the thousands queries from users, or with the workstation which calculates some mega mathematics on mega data.

5. blurp33

blurp33 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti on H2O