6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    I don't see a lot of HIS HD 6950 2gb owners. I bought the card when they first came out and looked to be a good deal.
    Never bothered with the dual switch till I found this thread and decided to read all 43 pages lol. I found the HIS 6970 2gb bios at techpowerup and did the flash-a-rooney thing and everything seems fine.
    I played BF3 for 4 hours and it maintained about 10-15 fps more and a higher minimum fps with higher visual settings. I manually run the fan for gaming at 65% and wear headphones.
    The clocks are 880 core and 1375 mem, which from reading these posts, is a rather mild oc...but I'm pleased and can now hold off going cfx....

Thanks Guru's

Need to change my system specs. I also did an upgrade to an i7 920 DO stepping and a gigabyte x58 mb with 12gb pc1600 oc to 3.4 :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. Drovers37

Drovers37 Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7990
    Update. Defo has dual bios on cu2, i can switch to unlocked shaders on one bios thats been flashed using w1zzard script, and original bios on the other. Unigine results deffinatley show improved frame rate of aprox 4-5 frames, what im finding now though is some games seem to pause briefly as if loading, more so on dirt 3 and f1 2011. could this be a driver issue or something else? metro runs fine, so does deus ex, crysis does it a little but i guess that would be expected.
    I did run a defrag last night but not had chence to see if this has helped yet. Anyone any more ideas???

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Since the 6950 does not have the same power connection (two 6 pins vs 1x 6pin 1x 8pin) you may need to enable power control to 20% and to check if you're running at 6970 stock voltages 1.175v.

4. Drovers37

Drovers37 Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7990
    Hi u27, my asus cu 2 has a 6 and 8 pin connectors.

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    On CCC under performance -> amd overdrive check if you're at 20%. There are some cards that still use 6950's default voltages so may need to use a program like msi afterburner or asus trixx to bump to 1.175v. If it already shows that voltage then you dont have to worry about changing it.

6. genbrien

genbrien Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    what should be the MAX voltage to not exceed with a XFX6950?
    I flashed mine months ago, overclocked it at 880/1450 with 1.175 and it was more than enough, but now with BF3 I could use a lil help but it's not stable if I overclock it more.

7. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Have you tried lowering the memory clocks and raising the cpu keeping voltage at 1.175? Lower the mem and you can raise the cpu.
    I have mine at 940/1405 with 1.175 and BF3 runs great.

You could try 970/1450 with 1.25v. Increasing voltage higher than that probably wont make a difference. Higher voltages shortens lifespan and you really should have good cooling when doing so. 1.35 would be the max as long as temps don't go too high. Results will vary from card to card.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  8. illLoGiQ

illLoGiQ Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 SC
    For anyone who has a (On the box it says V246 <--im guessing this means Version 2?) MSI r6950 Twin Frozr II, 1st try unlocked shaders with RBE v2.13, just saved original bios from GPU-Z, uploaded BIOS in RBE, only thing i did in RBE is went to advance settings clicked on shader unlock, save. Open ATIwinflash loaded the saved bios with unlock shaders and clicked program. It said successful and prompted a reboot. Checked GPU-Z latest version and shaders now unlocked. It was simple. So if anyone has 6950 Twin Frozr II try this if you are having trouble unlocking. I read alot of people not being able to unlock the shaders but it seems like they were also trying to flash the 6970 bios to the 6950, which i did with a reference XFX card using a sapphire bios when it was 1st discovered that you can do this, lol i returned the card and got a gtx580 only because crysis2 was not behaving well when it first for came out and ATI drivers sucked donkey balls at the time.

9. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    Yeah, that was on extreme ;)

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Power control isn't related to the extra 8 pin power connector, it's a software limitation to control the card's TDP.

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Ah thanks for the clarification, what do you suggest about the jerky/stuttering people are having when trying to run on 6970 stock clocks or overclocking?

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    if you mean a 6950 unlocked well it's because even though the card gets flashed with a 6970 bios the tdp doesn't change from a 6950's limit (maybe it's taken from the second non writable bios?) so running something like furmark that takes it past it's tdp causes the card to throttle it's clocks and you end up with stuttering. For this reason the powertune feature needs to be set to a higher figure to avoid the clocks getting throttled.

This could also apply to a standard 6970 once it's overclocked/stressed high enough so the owertune feature would become necessary.

Though personally the powertune feature might be handy for those looking to save power but for us overclocking enthusiasts it's become a real pain as you are effectively limited to how much you can overclock.

13. Gil80

Gil80 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    hi guys.
    Yesterday I've purchased Sapphire HD6950 2GB Dirt3 edition and I don't have the dual bios switch! :/
    I think that's it for unlocking this video card :/

Is there a way to "unlock" it by OC it to the same or better specs as the 6970? I would appreciate your help on this.

14. AZONIC[rus]

AZONIC[rus] Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6950 DiCuII 2Gb
    Hi!
    I bought same card 2 days ago. Could you tell me which method did you use?
    link would be great
    thanks

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Use the W1zzard script if you want to unlock the existing bios. Use the Asus HD6970 Direct CU II bios is you want to flash to the HD6970.

You may be able to achieve higher clocks by using the HD6970 bios over modding the existing HD6950 bios.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2060 SUPER
    Bought two MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC, none can be unlocked, but at least temps are nice and overlocked so far to 950Mhz.

17. AZONIC[rus]

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6950 DiCuII 2Gb
    Sorry but just to clarify. I can use W1zzard script OR JUST download ASUS original bios for 6970 and flash it?
    Above I saw some guys faced with Voltage problem. Is it possible or not?

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yes, either or :) Just make sure its the Direct CU II bios if you download it, and NOT the standard model.

I haven't had any issues that I can put down to drivers. The only issue I had was with Dead Island when running the 18 Oct 8.920's, but since they're early beta it wasn't unexpected that there may be issues. Currently running the recent 8.912's and it seems fine.

19. AZONIC[rus]

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6950 DiCuII 2Gb

This bios is ok?

20. hotshot100

hotshot100 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Hi, I just buy 2 6950 from newegg from the black friday sale and I receive 2 reference design.

I flash both card to 6970 bios and everithing run fine but the temperature are way too high under load around 98 celcius.

the fan are not running fast they always running at around 20-40% even if the card is at 98 celcius .

anyone else have the same issues ?