6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. tianlongprc

tianlongprc New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon H
    what is the best card now that can still unlock?

I am looking to purchase a 6950 2gb, but I am worried that I will buy one of the new ones that can not be unlocked. Can anyone tell me which cards can still be unlocked?

I personally prefer to buy an xfx because in the past I have always used them and I like the lifetime warranty. Any help in making the decision on which one I should buy would help me a lot.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Should note that some non-reference cards don't unlock using RBE but do using the W1zzard script.

3. The Florist

The Florist Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    Hey,

Is this card unlockable? XFX HD-695X-CNFC

I tried using the newest rbe by check the 6970 unlock box and flashing with atiflash.

That didn't work, kept getting the 0FL01 error, this was even after -unlockrom 0 which reported unlock rom successful.

Am I just SOL or is there another method?

Thanks

N/M I see thatguy91's post, I'll try that and report back.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB

5. The Florist

The Florist Member

GPU:
    GTX280

Just to clarify..

I take the modded bios that is made by the script, drop it in my flash drive and flash away like any other bios flash?

Correct?

6. HTC_guy

HTC_guy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    Asus 6950

hi guys

ive read almost everything here but bit confused :stewpid:

I have this model http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6950_DCII2DI4S1GD5/. Note that its a 1GB model.

All of the guides Im reading are talking about 2GB, and the BIOS that I can download in most of the URL's are 2GB. Surely I cant use a 2GB BIOS onto my 1GB card?

Also, its reported that there is no BIOS switch on this card. But from some users experiences they are saying that it IS a BIOS switch.

what do you guys think? :)

Appreciate the help

7. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    i read on a forum that xfx locked the bios on those cards and the only way to flash them is to solder a wire across the bios or something..try searching it up..

ok found it...here it is: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showpost.php?p=3901976&postcount=13

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20634.20

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. SumoSiggi

SumoSiggi New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6870 Twin Frozr II
    Hi Forum!

I had a long day trying to tweak my 2 Sapphire HD 6950's. It's this model:
    http://www.mindfactory.de/images/product_images/1280/700801_0__8338854.jpg
    The system is: Asrock M3A770DE with an Athlon II X2 215 and XFX PRO850W

After sending back a "locked" PowerColour Radeon 6950 1GB on tuesday and getting to know about the problems unlocking the shaders on 1gb models i thought it would be easy if i order a 2gb 6950. I hoped the board would be reference design with a better fan on it...

Now, 10hours of testing around, i think it was a bad idea to order 2 of those. Tried out almost every bios / tweak i found on the net so i think maybe i'll give it up.

My last try was the bios modding script from this forum which corrupted one of the bios so hard i first thought i killed the gpu... last time i saw those crazy artefacts flipping in crazy geometric forms i destroyed a Voodoo2 card YEARS ago^^
    Is there a chance to reset the flashable bios even if i only get a blackscreen when putting the card in - and crashing when putting it in 2nd slot while a normal bios card runs in 1st slot?

The next problem is: both cards are running 100% stable with their default bios - even 30min overclocked at 960MHZ on 99% gpu usage. But if i link them with Crossfire any application makes the system crash. It reboots fast as hell and the pause button doesn't work... i think there was an atikmpag.sys error on the bluescreen. Reinstalled the Catalyst and tried 11.5 11.6.
    Before the 1st bios flash i tested the crossfire system and it worked stable.

I would like to keep on trying to bring those little bastards on a higher level, but if it wont work i'll send them back, hope they dont check them and try the bios switch...

Great forum, nice thread! I've read almost everything :nerd:
    I hope someone can help me out and wish you all more luck then i obviously have! x)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. HTC_guy

HTC_guy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    guys Im so confused, please can you help

Can the Asus ATI Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 1GB be unlocked?

I ran RBE last night. Saved the BIOS from the card, ticked the unlock-shaders box, saved, and loaded to the card and did a restart. Still reports 1408 shaders... Some guys are saying that I need to reinstall the driver again?

followed this guide http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

help please?

10. SumoSiggi

SumoSiggi New Member

GPU:
    MSI 6870 Twin Frozr II
    Somewhere on page 38 ...

11. HTC_guy

HTC_guy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    thanks, read it all and I was using RBE on a 1GB non-reference board when I shouldnt have been... :bang:

That would explain the weird lockup I got, and I thought it was coz I was OC'ing by 20mhz on the core! :D

I made a backup of the BIOS before I started fiddling, so will run the W1zzard script on that when I get home and see what happens.

Will post results this evening (in about 6 hours)

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Hope that works for you! I know it works with the 2gb model of the DC II, as others have also mentioned this, I'm sure the 1GB model would be similar.

In fact, probably most 1gb models require the W1zzard script, I'd assume, because the RBE script relies on the shader info to be in an exact location which is in the original reference bios. This is of course an assumption, but since the W1zzard script actively searches for the shader reference, from what I understand, it would make sense as to why the W1zzard script works and the RBE method doesn't...

13. HTC_guy

HTC_guy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850
    ya my card is definitely not reference...

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6950_DCII2DI4S1GD5#Awards

@thatguy91

are you still there?

I just got an email back from W1zzard and he said

"I dont think RBE is modding the wrong code, but you are free to try the batch file I posted somewhere in the comments that modifies the BIOS (same as what RBE should do). RBE should do exactly the same thing as my script"

So how do you explain your thoery of RBE not working on a non-reference board but the W1zzard script does :confused:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Um, I have no idea! all I know is, the script worked for me and RBE didn't, and some others found the same thing!!!

I found this because I did extensive searching online, and came across someone else who said the same thing. I don't know why it is different, but go ahead, try it!

You saw the shaders didn't unlock with RBE, it will be interesting to see the results of the script :)

15. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT

16. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Can you do a little guide on how to do it? I have a Powercolor 6950 1gb with a switch on it no sure if it's for dual bios tho

17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Yeah, I have also a swithc on my DirectCUII card, but IT IS NOT a dual BIOS.
    It is a switch to enable/disable single/dual DVI output.
    The modding is pretty simple -
    Download W1zzard's PHP modding script,
    download latest ATiWinflash,
    download latest GPU-Z

Steps (I assume your card is the only on and it is dev0 - you can check it in RBE):
    1. Backup your stock BIOS via GPU-Z or by using this command in ATiWinflash (AWF) :
    atiwinflash -s 0 backup.bin
    2. Mod your BIOS by using the PHP script
    3. Flash your modded BIOS by using these commands :
    atiwinflash -unlockrom 0
    atiwinflash -f -p 0 modded.bin
    4. Reboot and check GPU-Z.
    Reinstall of drivers should not be necessary cause GPU-Z will show right away your shader count and if it is unlocked. However in some rare cases the reinstall might also help update - so if it is still showing the old locked count - reinstall them.

In case something goes wrong flash via this one (assuming your 'fry' card is dev 0, in case it is dev 1 - change from 0 to 1)
    atiwinflash -unlockrom 0
    atiwinflash -f -p 0 backup.bin

OR - you can download my little package, from here :
    DOWNLOAD SHADER UNLOCK PACKAGE

Usage (ALWAYS run as Admin !!) :
    Extract,
    to backup your bios, mod it and flash it to your card - run
    flash_to_6950mod.bat

to revert back to your stock (backup) bios -
    run flash_back_to_6950.bat

Hope this helps mate :)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Done use the Asus HD6950 DCII 1GB bios on a powercolor 1GB card, it may not work!

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I'm not going to open my case and find out :D mainly because its down the side of a desk next to the wall and I'd have to unplug everything, try it, plug everything back, go 'Hmmm thats interesting' unplug everything again, switch it back, and plug everything back in!...

Does the switch on the DCII actively just switch off one of the display ports and activates dual-link, or does it do it through the bios?

If it does it through the bios, technically it is a dual bios card, just the bioses aren't the exact same! - much like if you stuff up a HD6950 and you switch it back to the original, or you switch the switch on the HD6990 which I believe utilises a second bios?...

Anyone know which is the case? different bioses or just the same bios but different circuit activatation?

20. slippy1010

slippy1010 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950 2GB
    Has anyone had any luck with unlocking the,
    Sapphire ATI 6950 2GB Dirt 3 Edition.

Im using Windows 7 64bit, I cant get it to unlock with any of the methods mentioned.

Ive tried Dos with a flash drive, tried the scripts and also tried manual with Winflash.

It either doesnt unlock or I get a BSOD.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011