6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. LayZ

LayZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X
    How I regret not buying the Twin Frozr III with the BIOS switch now... :(

2. LordJummy

LordJummy Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    That one doesn't have a bios switch? Ouch man.

3. MonGreL

MonGreL Member

GPU:
    Asus 6950/6970 @950/5600
    Guessing the fans still spin up ?

Have you tried complete power off for 30 secs then booting - I had a similar issue, black screen only, turned everything off, leads out for a bit then at least it let me boot in safe mode to create a bootable usb with atiflash on and a working bios ?

4. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    Yep no bios switch, it sucks on MSI's part to do that. The only reason I got the twin frozr II was that it was the cheapest 6950 at frys.

I ended up borrowing a card from a friend and getting the original bios flashed back on it.

I can confirm at this point that the Twin Frozr II is not unlockable, at least with the current methods.

EDIT: I must be the luckiest person in the freaking world. When I did the rescue flash I used a bios from techpowerup which was supposidly the MSI twin frozr II 6950 bios. Check out the screen below:

[​IMG]

I have no idea what happened, but I was looking through my dirt 3 benchmark outputs, 5 FPS difference after I got things working again. Weird, I wonder what happened.

Last edited: May 27, 2011

5. MonGreL

MonGreL Member

GPU:
    Asus 6950/6970 @950/5600
    Well I suppose that's one way of unlocking the shaders

6. Gabkicks

Gabkicks Member

GPU:
    r9 290 Tri-x OC Crossfire
    I am using a powercolor 6950 1gb (dual fans/dual bios) and 11.5b drivers .

i just tried with atiflash and atiwinflash and sofar it still shows 1408 unified shaders

* i just tried the methods listed by techpowerup to no avail. Also, i tried flashing to 6970 and that just gave mea blank screen w/ artifacts, so I blindflashed it back to my "unlocked" bios that isnt really unlocked according to gpu-z.

Any Ideas? RBE says my bios is already set to 6970 shader count, but not GPU-z

7. slike99

slike99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 DirectCUII 1GB
    Is there anyone who tried to unlock shaders from Asus 6950 DirectCUII 1GB ?

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The shader unlock in RBE doesn't seem to work with some cards, whereas the W1zzard script seems to be more reliable.

Refer to my earlier post:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3967087&postcount=944

91LudeSiT, I dare say the card is unlocked because it used a different method (maybe the W1zzard script) than the RBE method.

I'm not sure how RBE does it, but the W1zzard script actually looks for the shader reference in the bios, and doesn't rely on a set location which could be how RBE does it and why the RBE method doesn't work on non-reference bioses.

9. Gabkicks

Gabkicks Member

GPU:
    i tried it, and the card flashes and it still shows as 1408 shaders in gpu-z :(

10. slike99

slike99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 DirectCUII 1GB
    ehh me too, gpu-z shows 1408 shaders... is there any solution for our problem ? or we are convicted for 1408 shaders?

11. Gabkicks

Gabkicks Member

GPU:
    it looks like we are stuck :/. The people that can unlock their 1gb models have slightly different bioses than me. Theirs are named. Mines is the old and the new is a guy who successfully unlocked. his has a different product name name and part number. Trying his bios just gives me a black screen and/or artifacts. and editing my own in rbe doesn't do anything.

If your part number is the same as his, i can send you this bios to try.

[​IMG]

12. Bio Shock

Bio Shock Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6950
    im having a problem flashing as well

i have the xfx znfc model card. 1gb model which ive seen people say they have unlocked successfully. i know it isnt a reference card but nonetheless, some people have got the shaders to unlock

what happens when i try to flash is i get the 'rom unlocked' message after giving the atiflash -unlockrom command, but once i try to actually flash, i get an error saying 'rom not erased' with an error code. this is all from pure DOS btw.

flashing in windows, the progress bar in atiwinflash gets about 1/3rd of the way through then everything freezes and i have to do a hard reset

ive tried dumping the bios from gpuz and editing the shaders in RBE, ive tried wizzards script to edit shaders, tried atiflash in dos, also tried a program called flashrom. i get the same errors from each method.

any ideas??

13. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    Hi, I just got this card http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-611.shtml It does not have a bios switch. I was wondering if anyone has successfully flashed a unlocked bios to this card. Did it actually unlock the card or did it flash and brick the card or did it flash with out unlocking them?

I dont want to do this unless I know it wont brick the card. I do still have my Nvida card as a backup.

14. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    bump... anybody?

Lets say I use W1zzards unlock script that modifies my bios and the shaders can not be unlocked. What do you think the chances that card will still work?

15. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    Well thx for help.... I flashed card with modded bios, the card still works but does not have any additional shaders.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Thats a 2GB card for a start! NEVER flash a 2GB card with a bios meant for a 1GB card!

You need to extract your current bios, and unlock the shaders using the W1zzard script which I outlined a few pages pack. RBE does not work on non-reference bioses, it most likely corrupts the bios since it looks like it mods a fixed reference point.

The W1zzard script actively looks for the shader code reference, hence if its not where it is meant to be (non-reference, or update reference bios when they become available) it doesn't matter, as it will still patch the right code.

Hope you kept a copy of your original bios, or download the proper one from techpowerup vga bios database (for your specific HIS card, don't get anything else!), and W1zzard script then flash that.

All the information you need is in this thread, and the links and info about the W1zzard script as well.

17. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    Thx for the reply but did you read my second post where I said I would use W1zzards script????

I saved the original bios used the script to make a modified one and flashed.

Because this is a none reference card I would never try to flash a different bios to it. Not Even a 6970. Unless there have been cases reported successful at it.

Found out on another forum that this card was made not to long ago so it has the updated gpu that cant be unlocked by the bios.

18. sprewell

sprewell Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus 6990s
    I have the Asus 6950 DCII 2gb and for the life of me I can't unlock the shaders. I have tried:

1. modded bios with RBE
    2. modded bios with Wizzard's script (on a clean original bios)
    3. the 6970 DCII bios (increases the clocks and voltage but not the shaders)

I have tried the above with the switch in both positions. With drivers uninstalled and reinstalled. Flashing in dos and flashing in windows.

I think the fact that even the 6970 bios doesn't unlock shows that some of the 6950 DCIIs are unlockable.

I would like to stay with the 6970 bios however as it is the only way I can run higher voltages (Smartdoctor doesn't save voltage settings and is also dangerous in that it sets random values all the way up to 1.5v!).

With these DCIIs does anyone think it isn't safe to stay on the 6970 bios? I know with reference cards there have been issues with 6970 memory timings being too aggressive for 6950s. I wonder if this is the case with this non reference card? Anyone here been on the 6970 bios for more than a month without issue (thatguy91 etc)?

19. Lucas001

Lucas001 Guest

GPU:
    hi Guys I'm new to the forum and I'm at work atm, I'll try to check the 20+ pages when I'm home but can anyone quickly tell me if it will work with a Sapphire 6950 1Gb card? I'm just concerning of doing it because my one doesn't come with the dual bios switch, which sucks... this one: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3865/sapphire_radeon_hd_6950_1gb_video_card_review/index.html

Thanks Guys

Edit: hmn.. I can see people having trouble as well with the 1gb cards now that I had the time to look a bit further...... :3eyes:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

According to the legitreviews admin, who contacted AMD, the 6970 bios does not overvolt the memory to 1.6v afterall.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about34377.html#p192711