6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Unlocking the shaders to HD6970 :)

Be a little cautious if using the RBE, with non-reference cards people have noticed it sometimes does not unlock the shaders or corrupts the bios. Use the script method instead which I mentioned earlier, it seems to work! :)

Check out the driver threads for new drivers, but be aware that a later date doesn't necessarily mean a later version! (so just read the info people give). The 19 April 8.85 drivers are the latest currently, and they work excellently!

In regards to the shader unlock, I still haven't heard back from people in regards to whether the RBE method is in fact a little iffy. All I know is I was required to use it, and I know from reading other sites forums that some other people have struck the same thing. It could be because the script is looking for the shader reference, and not a specific location, whereas the RBE method may (not sure about this) be modding a specific location in the bios. If this is true, a non-reference bios could therefore have a different location for the shader reference, meaning the RBE method corrupts that part of the bios. This has seem to have happen if you google enough, with people saying the shader unlock still shows 1408 shaders in GPU-z (they don't realise they have corrupted a part of their bios) or Windows not being able to boot (again, corrupt bios)!.

The script method appears to be the safest method...

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. Sobe

Sobe Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
  3. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    Will this work with my Twin Frozr II? I understand it isn't a reference PCB, but I read somewhere that the unlock was not possible on this card.

4. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Many, many thanks for the comments man! :). I'm very happy with the card right now and I love the fact that the GPU throttles from 800Mhz to 250Mhz when idle. Saves a lot of power and keeps the temperature down. My old 8800GT was idling at 67C (fan at 100%) and topping at 90C. This beauty tops at 65C and sits on 45C when idle. As for the BIOS unlock trick, I don't have the guts to do it right now. Maybe later! :D

5. MonGreL

MonGreL Member

GPU:
    Asus 6950/6970 @950/5600
    Yep spot on, have an Asus 6950 CU II (not a dual-bios card), flashed to the 6970 CU II bios (don't believe it will work with a bios from a reference card ?), ran a few benchmarks at 950/5500/1.187v, nice and solid, no artifacts or issues.

Got bored, flashed back to 6950 to see if it would o/c as well (it didn't), then tried the RBE unlock shader method .... won't be doing that again .... BSOD everytime windows tried to boot - a couple of hours of sweaty-palmed fumbling later and a successful flash back to life again using bootable USB stick, Atiflash and the 6970 bios.

6. Black0ut

Black0ut Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning 2GB
  7. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX570 X 4GB
    My Powercolor is a reference card, this means RBE should work fine ou it's better to use W1zzard method?

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Unlock Shaders only

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    When i type ATIFLASH -F -P 0 BIOS.BIN it says Invalid command?

Any ideas?

10. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    You must run the command in the same directory where you extracted atiflash.exe ;)

11. _MacA_

_MacA_ New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 Ref
    Yeah I'l like to know that too.

I have trouble with my Sapphire currently. It unlocked perfectly, but it doesn't like voltage at all. If I set 1.175 or above all I'll get is a "driver stopped responding and was successfully recovered".

The weird thing is, it doesn't artefact at all. I manage with "force constant voltage" to do stuff like 1.220.

Even weirder, I'm currently at 880/1375 1.100mv and when I try GPUtool, it will make the driver restart and... that's it. It will work perfectly after. No artefact or anything else. And it only happens the first time I start the program. After it won't make the driver crash anymore and work normally.

I'm starting to think the card is actually defective. Any ideas on that matter?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    glad the thread is still alive boys, if you need any help send me a pm but being honest you habve all prob overtaken me now lol since moving to NV, and yes lads these cards in sli sucketh lol AMD seem to be on the ball.

13. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    Does anybody know if the wizzard script will work with an MSI twin frozr II, I was reading somewhere that the extra pipelines are laser cut, but can't get any verification on that.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It may or may not be... there are a couple of other possibilities which, going by other non-reference cards, are more likely:
    - they tried to flash to HD6970 bios = possible fail
    - they used a reference bios, unlocked that = possible fail
    - they used RBE to unlock the shaders = possible fail

Its not just the Asus DC II cards (which are non-reference) that are affected by the RBE not working, W1zzard script working issue, so give it a try at least!

Using the W1zzard script you may be able to unlock the shaders, as it worked for me and as MonGrel pointed out a few posts earlier, the script worked for him whereas RBE didn't.

Save your current bios, make a copy, mod with the W1zzard script, then flash it, and it may work for you :) If it does, you have unlocked shaders, and if it doesn't, you still have the original bios to flash back to.

Good luck!

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I think there are probably quite a few RMA cards by people modding it incorrectly!

I might give the HD6970 DC II bios a go, the overclock on the HD6950 bios is quite dismal (even before the shader unlock). Have a massive airflow on these cards might as well make use of it!

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Ok, flashed to hd6970 DC II bios, it does seem much better than the HD6950 DC II bios!

The DC II does have a 8-pin + 6-pin connector, so power wise all good :) that said, the HD6970 DC II has 2x8-pin connectors, but thats understandable considering the HD6970 should overclock much higher...

17. MonGreL

MonGreL Member

GPU:
    Asus 6950/6970 @950/5600
    Agreed, to run 950/5500 using 6950 bios I need 1.200v and power control at +20% CCC.

To gets same clock speeds using 6970 bios just need default 1.175v and don't need power control - can disable CCC overdrive and just use SD for o/clocking - much cleaner.

It will clock beyond 1GHz but I'm still running an old Go-6600 and Maximus/Rampage board so doesn't seem much point ....

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  18. Bio Shock

Bio Shock Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6950
    hey guys, been a while since i posted but im in need of some advice here.........i just ordered this ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7203653 ) and im wondering if anyone has successfully unlocked it. reading reviews ive seen some people say they have done it, others say its impossible since it isnt a reference model. others say its just luck of the draw and doesnt necessarily have to be a reference model or a 2gb card

any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated! thanks

19. LordJummy

LordJummy Master Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire "6970" 980/1400
    I have had a completely different experience with my reference 6950's.

Both cards I've had are able to OC to 980MHzish with completely stock voltage and 100% load in OCCT.

Over 1GHz I have to bump it up to 1.2V to get it 100%, but I think that's totally acceptable. I keep mine at 950/980 core and 1400-1475 memory depending on what I'm doing or playing. Stays extremely cool, but I've been told I must have a freakishly good card.

20. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    Welp, I just killed my twin frozr II, the display won't even turn on anymore so I am not sure how to rescue, I don't have a secondary card to use in the mean time either.