6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    holy batman. even with 90% fan, those are scorching temps. i've never seen the vrm get that high. yes, i know it's safe and rated for 90+C, but my vrm have never gone over 55C

2. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    jeez 920 oc, 90% wind tunnel fan, I applaud you for your hulk like ear strength :nerd:

3. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Dont you guys read.

FURMARK ?????? no games give those temps or fan speeds lol

4. colin87

colin87 Active Member

GPU:
    270x xfire
    MY MSI 6950 unlocked perfectly. Only did the shaders though, not full 6970 flash

Clocks running @ 900/1400 stock volts

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about the unlock process, I have changed my mind and will now be intending to get the ASUS Direct CU II HD6950 2GB.

This is a non-reference card, but from what I can tell from another thread on here, and from some other threads, they are unlockable. The issue with the unlockable vs locked argument is it seems many people are trying to flash these non-reference cards with reference bioses, then wondering why they don't work like they should!

I believe that for the Direct CU II HD6950 2GB, and other non-reference cards, for now at least you can use the BIOS that comes with the card and unlock the shaders with that instead?...

This is part question, part statement. The problem is when people ask if they are unlockable, people say get a reference card instead - I don't want to do that! When people ask whether they are unlockable, people respond 'you can't use the reference bios on it, therefore its not unlockable'. I find that a false statement, as they do not say anything about unlocking the cards own bios.

Now, that said, is the HD6950 Asus Direct CU II 2gb card shader unlockable? and please only first hand experience! I'm asking purely out of curiosity, because the only day I can really get it (at the places I want) is tomorrow, which I won't be! and from Wednesday onwards, because here today (Friday) is a public holiday, as is Sunday, Monday (typical Easter days) and Tuesday (as the public holiday for the Australian/New Zealand ANZAC day, always 25 April, falls on the Monday, so it gets moved to Tuesday)

So, serious responses about the Direct CU II and other non reference cards by Tuesday evening thanks! :)

6. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    buy a reference card and bolt on a better cooler, then its not reference anymore :nerd:

I wouldnt chance anything other than reference cards but I have hesard of a few 1gb cards and even newer 2gb ones unlocking but as I dont have one Im not willing to say go forth and potentially make a paperweight :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Thats very true!

I did actually consider a reference card and a better cooler, but that worked out being more expensive than the Direct CU II!

The main reasons why my choice is siding with the Direct CU II is:
    - It already has excellent cooling performance
    - It looks pretty cool :)
    - Its available at quite a decent price
    - Other non-reference options aren't available (at least as cheaply) locally

Reason why I want to buy it local is there is I get it straight away, its not really any cheaper online, and if there are any issues with it I can get a direct replacement immediately instead of having to send it away.

The way I look at it, if I use the same bios the card came with (that is, save the bios, unlock the shaders, and flash), I'm running only a small risk. The only things that can go wrong is the flash process, which could happen in any case (and the card is designed to be flashable)... or the shaders that were locked being so dodgy the card won't even boot, which I see as unlikely! :)

I apologise if I sounded a bit gruff earlier, just wanted to get a clear answer as other posts didn't seem to get them!

Once I get it I'll post if I'm successful or not. Knowing my luck though, the store will be sold out of them on wednesday! lol

8. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    go for it mate but just save the bios via gpuz and find that batch script on techpowerup forum that allows for unlocking shaders only, that is your safest bet! gd luck man :)

p.s it would only cost a teensie bit more if you got the cheapest 6950 around and a decent cooler like thermalright shaman or if your into buying seperate vrms etc artic cooling :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Well at the moment it looks like a cheap reference HD6950 2GB and a Shaman cooler would be AUS$35 (US$37.50) more than getting the Direct CU II HD6950 2GB. Considering the Direct CU II is available for AUS$330 locally it doesn't seem worth the extra cost...

10. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    thats because you haven't had the pleasure of using the shaman ;) thing is amazing to say the least. However it does have the downfall of taking 3 slots :( which = no xfire for me even though id really enjoy it with my eyefinity setup. But the cooling power and silence is definitely worth it and since only a select few games cant run 60fps with eyefinity maxed i guess its a trade off i dont mind making..and wont have to worry about for a while with the continued console ports :) haha

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  12. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    Hi dude yep heard around it unlocks but only shader unlock not anything like just flashing a 6970 bios onto it, those days are gone for these new cards by the looks of it, ima thinking Im going to gather more infos on new 1gb cards that unlock and specials like the frozr etc and update the first post, its still a popular thread and I will continue updating and trying to be accurate for a bit untill it dies off with new revisions or when 6970 is dirt cheap :)

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea i heard that too, but shader unlock still looks nice right? it should be almost equal to 6970 no?

well im asking because that 6950TFIII cost as much as custom 560ti 240€, 570gtx asus directCUII is 318€ vs 6970 stock fan ~290€..

6970lightning looks sick but i can't use it my psu doesn't have 2x8pin (only 1x6pin, 1x8pin :S) and costs allotz of peanutz too lol 350€ :infinity:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  14. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    yes it would be an exact match to a 6970 but with lower stock clocks, saying that tho mate I would go for it anyway even if it didnt unlock, its a beast of a card and can clock 1000 core easy :)

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Thats a good idea! There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the HD6950 online. Most people seem to think these non-reference cards are completely unlockable, although it appears this is just because people have been trying to flash them to hd6970's or use a reference bios (which isn't compatible with the card) then wonder why the shader unlock doesn't work... or they card won't work!

I wonder how many bricked HD6950's have been returned because of this, or people doing it incorrectly. Apparently another case of bad advice is people saying to use certain programs, which I won't name, to extract the GPU bios. These programs don't extract the bios properly (trunacates them), which means if modded you can end up with a bricked card.

People have actually advised the use of these trunacate programs in this forum, followed by the use of the shader script. The issue with doing this is you DO NOT get the warning about such trunacated bioses which you DO get if you use RBE to unlock the shaders.

16. ktf

ktf New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 gts
    thatguy91, if you buy the Asus one, please post here, I am in a similar dilema as well. The stock cards, cheaper as they are, have a problem : noise. You can get rid of it using an aftermarket cooler, but you probably have to void your warranty for that, so I am not really looking into that.

17. anthonyhocking

anthonyhocking Member

GPU:
    VTX3d / 6950 / 2gb
    2 VTX3D 6950 cards, only 4 serial numbers different, 1 unlocks, 1 does not???

Howdy

On April 18th I bought a VTX3d 6950 (twin fan) from a shop here in Australia.
    Serial number is PG1103006989.
    No matter what I try, I cant POST after flashing a 6970 bios. If I flash a modded (shaders unlocked) 6950 bios, GPU-Z always reports 1408 shaders. Have even taken a copy of my own bios, modded it with a script, and re-flashed it. POSTS fine, but no unlocked shaders.... Just loaded RBE (Radeon Bios Editor), and checked my current BIOS....and it reports shaders are set to the 6970 count.

Another user on the techpowerup forums has the same card from the same store, serial number is only 4 digits off. His ends in 6985 and mine ends in 6989.. He states in another thread here: Mine is PG1103006985 (dual fan) and it unlocked fine with Wizard's script, with 1536 shaders displaying in GPU-Z

He and I chatted and went through the steps. His unlocks, mine does not. He even emailed me his modded bios, which still wont unlock the shaders.
    Another user with identical cards states:

VTX3D 6950 2GB - S/N PG1102025161 (9/4/11 arrived in stock that day) shader unlocking no problem
    VTX3D 6950 2GB - S/N PG1104011852 (19/4/11 arrived in stock that day) shader unlock removed.

The only reason I can see why mine fails and his unlocks, is that somewhere between the 4 serial numbers between our 2 cards, VTX3d changed the design somehow and locked the shaders.

Could I be this unlucky? The serial numbers seem to include the manufacture date year then month, followed by 6 digits. PG PG1103006989.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I just bought the ASUS one today, its a damn big card so make sure you have plenty of room in your case! Mine fitted fine :)

However, my power supply only has 2x6pin PCI-E connectors, the Asus DC II card has 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin. Thats no real issue.

However, basically all power supplies have at least 1x6 pin connector correct? but not necessarily an 8-pin connector + 6 pin connector, and certainly not an 8-pin connector by itself.

Asus was kind enough to provide a 2xmolex to PCI-E cable... but its a 2xmolex to 6-pin cable! how stupid is that!!! I looked it up online and its what it actually comes with.

So, that adaptor cable is pretty useless, and since you definitely need both the 8-pin and 6-pin connected, if you don't have an 8-pin connector on your power supply (plus a 6-pin of course) you will need to purchase a 2xmolex to 8-pin connector, keeping in mind stores probably have only the more common 6-pin coverter.

So, Asus stuffed up there, that cable ONLY makes sense with a standard HD6950, which requires 2x6-pin connectors, not this beasts 1x6-pin + 1x8-pin connector.

19. ktf

ktf New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 gts
    Hehe, the small pleasures in life ... :) Are you planning to try to unlock the shaders on that baby or just leave it like that and OC it over the roof if needed ?

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I plan to try both :D

For the overclock I'll try and keep it within reason, well, what I consider 'within reason' anyway!

Would have loved to been able to play around with it tonight, but I guess its just something to look forward to tomorrow once I get the 2xmolex to 8-pin adaptor cable.

I do intend to get a new power supply, but not till I upgrade the computer later in the year :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011