6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. midweskid

midweskid Guest

I know this is a noob question, but could anyone tell me what the power tune feature does and why it's needed when unlocking the 6950?

2. Icchan

Icchan Member

GPU:
    Radeon 69(70) 2GB & 4850
    Powertune basically allow for you to throw @)% extra power to the card to support higher clocks. its not very useful though except when under powering for efficiency.

as for your question there is no need to powertune for the unlock, even if you overclock

3. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    "more power to you" is a pun... a joke. i thought it was fairly clever and obvious.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/7

this page on this article and the next 2 pages give a good indication of what it is. it's basically amd's way of limiting overclocking on these cards.

4. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    aye all very well and true but thats why we add volts, more volts=bigger watt threshold= no need for stupid slider :) hope that helps.

@homefry we obviously had crossed wires, sorry man :)

Oh on another note DO NOT activate powertune in ccc when using msi AB for overclocking/volting, its stated in the msi ab thread.

5. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    btw, any good reason to flash to a full 6970 bios instead of unlocking the 6950 only and then overvolting and overclocking as needed?

btw, this is for high 24/7 overclocks, so the flashed 6970 would also be overvolted and overclocked.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    unlocking only the shaders should make no difference to the core's overclockabilllity, but the memory apperently gets an extra 10mV when using the 6970 bios which could mean higher memory clocks but at the cost of higher risk/lower life span on the memory.

7. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    is it confirmed the memory gets 10mV extra?

i've seen this "rumor" pop up in every forum. now someone reads it here and then repeats it somewhere else.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Can't confirm it atm, but if I find something concrete will post it here.

9. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    tested on multimeter at xs I read sometime, its plus 100mv btw, from 1.5v to 1.6.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Anyone know whether this bios will work on a reference card (ASUS EAH6950 2GB) or Gigabyte HD6950 2GB reference):

Note Version!!! ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER013.011.000.014.000000
    This is 1GB model only, and is reported as being corrupt. Just pointing out the version string! :)
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/95720/ATI.HD6950.1024.110311.html

Compared to:
    ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER013.008.000.009.039285
    Gigabyte HD6950 2GB ref:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/89215/Gigabyte.HD6950.2048.101123.html

Asus HD6950 2GB ref:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/91659/Asus.HD6950.2048.101206_1.html

I've heard the Twin Frozr 3 is unlockable, and the bios here is already unlocked:
    R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER013.011.000.007.000000
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/96402/MSI.HD6950.2048.110324.html
    (is it possible to use this bios?)

The reason I ask is I'm getting one of the above, reference design (so unlockable) this week, I haven't chosen which one yet so suggestions of the better one would be great! and will want to unlock the extra shaders + mild overclock (not to HD6970 levels though, due to heat).

I was thinking, since there is a newer HD6950 reference bios available, if anyone has tried it? as I'd probably use that instead of the one that comes with the card since its newer.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

11. blinkhd

blinkhd New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 6950 2GB
    Hi, long time lurker here, ever since I found out some years ago that Rivatuner could softmod my 6800.

I recently got a MSI 6950 2GB and have some questions about unlocking:

Using RBE I successfully unlocked the extra shaders with no problems and everything is stable in benchmarks/games. I want to push a bit further and do some overclocking above the current limits of 840 clock/1250 memory - but whenever I try to adjust the maximum clock settings in RBE and reflash, I get a BSOD once windows starts up. Even when I adjust it very little.

Also, when I flash to a stock 6970 BIOS, once in Windows the card will give artifacts for awhile and then crash. Why is it that unlocking the shaders works completely fine, but flashing to a 6970 BIOS will give artifacts? I thought it was the higher clock/memory speeds but I underclocked it down to stock 6950 levels and the artifacts still remained. Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    first, cant flash clocks in RBE, not supported and as you know will BSOD.
    As far as the artifacts im unsure, but usually like said its memory related. It may be the different timings between 50 and 70 that are causing the issues. However im not positive on this.

If the unlocked shaders work..use em and be happy with that i suppose.
    Overclock in msi AB to increase clocks..you might have to edit the cfg however which there is some info on that around here and on XS or can just google it.

13. blinkhd

blinkhd New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 6950 2GB
    Yeah, I've tried to overclock using MSI AB but it only allows the same limits as ATI Overdrive - 840/1325:

[​IMG]

This is with the
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

*EDIT* NEVERMIND, GOT IT WORKING
    *EDIT* NEVERMIND, GOT IT WORKING

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Any info regarding my enquiry about the bios versions?

Any recommendations of Gigabyte HD6950 2gb vs ATI HD6950 2gb (both reference), in terms of which one is better? I know there's info already out there, but most of it is from around the time they became available, and I'm more curious of what people think now :)

15. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    they are all bioses from the same date and identical, if you goto tpu bios collection you may find newer ones. Dont try the HIS turbo bios, it worked but gave weird pixel format bug.

16. homefry

homefry Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
  17. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    tis old thread that mate, the msi card is a different beast and may well use the same ram as 6970 (or better), my ram is rated 1.5v for 5ghz but have had no issues running them at 6970 power, ya never know the power curcuitry may well have a safeguard in place so no matter the bios (6950/70) it will allways run at 1.5v, could be wrong but who cares really? I can OC a little more with 6970 bios but havent tested extensively, just going on old 3dmark 11 scores I was getting and a few old gpuz logs.

BTW unless your planning on using Ln2 or D'ice for WR I dont see a reason to OC the memory much, if at all for nearly all games.

18. mikami

mikami Active Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 780 ti
    I can't find a clear answer to this so Im sorry if I sound annoying. Is it true that you can't flash clocks using Radeon bios editor? Is this why I get bsod when I flash with 880mhz core even though it's stable when it's done by afterburner?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  19. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    no you cant my friend your not annoying every few pages this seems to be needed to say again :)

MSI afterburner has an advanced overclocking utility that allows for non official overclock limits providing you read and accept the terms and copy-pasta a set of words ;), please go to the afterburner thread and explore your options :)

if you dont want to do that you must pretty much hack CCC but Im not feeling like I should go too much into that, I like to stay on AMD's good side :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Here is another furmark bench with 920/1375 on both cards with a power control of 13% to stop the cards throttling when overclocked with vsync disabled

as you can see cards are completely stable and the highest temps that my system would ever get i get no where near these fan speeds or temps with normal games

[​IMG]

and yes i also wedged my cards apart now and the temps are much improved. lol