6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    1050 is heavy man nice OC :) amazing actually mine hit 1042 at around those volts, its for sale in the sale section here now as I fancy a change, its been good :)

2. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea i saw it..sad to see it go its a great card. somebody is going to have hell of fun with that. I want to leave it alone but at the same time im thinking 1.4 volt maybe able to do something haha
    Maybe if the vrm setup comes out from Thermalright ill try it but as of now i might not want to do that just yet..i also did a run at 4.4 but the gain wasn't much at all still not 6400..

3. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    are guys stable at 1000+ on the core with 3dmark06?

try running hdr/shader 3.0 games. The card seems to struggle with these benches.

4. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    yep very stable mines at 1000 core for everything and doesnt brake a sweat :)

@demented yeah its sad to sell it, to be honest Im trying my best for you guys regarding vrm 6, its pissing me off but will keep going on at them untill they give in or ip block me haha I must say its nice of them to supply me parts to review tho, Im thinking of joining the dark side for a bit and try a gtx570 and see how I go, bet I will regret it as I did with my first fermi but Im allways eager to try something new and fresh :)

5. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea i ran 3dmark06 stable at 1000+..i believe i scored 27.9
    i didn't try at 1050core however and flashed back to 1.3v just because 1000core is stable at that and whats another 25-50core for playing games that i already get 100+ fps in...

6. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    definitely understand that, i enjoy going back in forth between the two companies when the price/performance is justified.
    However this time around i wanted to try eyefinity and i just picked up my 3rd 24" for some 5760x1200 gaming but now i need a damn mini dp adapter which im tapped on funds this weekend so i think ill order next week sometime.

7. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    more power to you.

with memory at 1400, i get 0.5 less fps than with memory at 1375. it's stable at 1400, but the memory error detection gives me 0.5 less fps.

and the canyon flight on 3dmark06 with settings maxed, the core crashes at 940 with 1.3 volts.

i'm stable at 900 @ 1.18 volts with any temperature.

8. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    with 4890 or 6950? dunno man crashing out at 1.3,pretty bad dude id say your cooling is insufficient for the clock. Do you know that the ONLY thing cooling your precious vrms is a sh*ty thermal strip? no good for todays gamers, hell even noobs expect their cards to OC now after all these cards over the years that dont bork out after small jumps on clockspeed, its common knoledge now, both sides could learn a lot about their stock solutions. Il end it before seriously flaming both companys to hell and back:)

9. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea ive had that happen as well, i didnt do crazy benching for hours like normal but ive definitely seen less fps with more mem clocks..and i probably could of tried harder to manage higher scores with a bunch of different clocks but i just basically put the highest without crashing or artifacting. Now gaming at 1525mem ill end up artifacting but not at 1500mhz mem.

Bout to play some more games to see what happens. I usually play black ops maxed and no issues.

10. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    Any way to have powertune +20% and overclock through afterburner?

Shogun 2 is currently throttling my core during the game. 1.18 volts 900 core 1375 memory.

Oddly, Shogun 2 is the only game so far that has throttled it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

11. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    btw, theoretically, it would be better to flash to a full 6970 because of the power throttle.

unless someone can confirm the 6950 flashed to a 6970 has the same power throttling as a regular 6950 unlocked and clocked up manually.

12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    makes no diffeence, msi AB negates the need for using ccc overdrive at all, mines still got a locked box :)

13. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    just install my Accelero XTREME Plus
    fan speed at 100% = stock cooler at 35% to 40% noise

and got it stable at 1000/1450

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  14. EN[joi]DK

EN[joi]DK Active Member

GPU:
    msi 1060 6GB
  15. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    msi ab does not include powertune.

16. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    haha yes but there is a workaround, by default msi AB lets powertune do its biz in backround at 20% whatever, no point trying to tell me Im wrong, go to msi ab thread and learn something.

17. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    i'm not trying to do anything other than stop the spread of bad info. if you know something, share it.

for powertune, msi ab does not work. yes, ccc says you have it at +20%, but like everything, you need to bench and test to verify.

if i OC through CCC and have clocks 840/1325 (limits) with +20% on powertune and play a part of Shogun 2, i don't get throttle. When I OC through afterburner with clocks 837/1322, with +20%, the core throttles.

case in point: when you use afterburner to set fan profile, ccc says that you have the fan set to manual control 50%, but obviously that is wrong. afterburner negates anything in ccc, so it saying +20% on power control does not mean +20%.

again, trying to help here and not be a "know-it-all" like some folks.

18. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    my lord I dont know how to explain how silly you sound trying to troll my thread bud, Ima taking your post to Demented to have this verified as this is not MSI afterburner thread for 1 and secondly matey whats this got to do with flashing a card?

when I set my voltage and clock accordingly I do not get throttling, you seem to be speaking of stock volts and FYI powertune is on but you cant set the slider, guess Im wrong on 20%, may be 0%, wont be -anything ;) what your missing the point on is powertune is just a way of setting clocks for specific use and throttle if the cards pushing too hard for given wattage (not enough volts, test again with bumped volts)

If powertune was turned off then the card would allways be set at max 3d clock, msi works around this with no need for a stupid slider, just set volts and regulator does the rest..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  19. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    troll your thread? i'm trying to help 6950 users realize that powertune may not work even though ccc says the slider is at +20%.

this is page 36 of a simple procedure that only "POWER USERS" should do. by page 36, this thread has evolved to things related to the 6950, such as overclocking.

and your definition of powertune is wrong, which leads me to believe you don't know whether or not it works when you overclock past ccc limits with afterburner.

i do want to be proved wrong, so i can get this thing to work in some demanding games and oc'd.

20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    then I hand the thread to you, gd luck :) The way you come accross 'more power to you' etc comes accross as trollworthy tis'all

btw I understand these cards very very well, Ive proven it time and time again, this thread is more of a success thread for peeps to stop by, I was having a conversation with someone else not you.

If you have questions on powertune/play whatever go talk to demented, hes much more 'friendly' than me

not knowing terms off hand does not mean you are stupid btw and so what If I write a post wrong from time to time, doesnt mean I dont understand or dont know, just means I havent had enough coffee or something.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011