6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    1000/1475 is quite doable with a shaman for 24/7 use, your temps should be maxing around 55c and your voltage should be around 1.325mv or under depending if you have a nicely binned card.
    Once I have enough names for a vrm solution in the hardware section all us aftermarket cooler people should be hitting higher speeds for sure, sign in dementeD lol even if your not going to buy you could sign to support its release :)

2. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    i don't have a copy of metro 2033 (never rly appealed to me) but i'm downloading the demo just to see how the card fares
    with previous cards, the max i could even bench at with stock V was around 960-970

[edit] tried the demo and had no problems playing though it with the gpu core at 1000 in CCC

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    already signed up ;)
    and yea i can do 1000 at 1.3v but temps were getting too hot imo so maybe i can just leave it there if not ill add a little more. As long as temps are controlled i think ill go upwards of 1.35 but that'll be the max. Hopefully will have it in by wednesday :)

4. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    sweet :) 1.35 is very doable with that cooler but with a vrm solution Im sure it would fair better, cant wait untill theres enough in the thread to submit, really want to grab one and test :)

5. lamja

lamja New Member

GPU:
    8600 gt
  6. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
  7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Sapphire flashing isn't supported in this thread, as it generally kills the card.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    You got a non-reference card and Bios flash its not supported on your card as its a different card with different components , if you try to flash a reference Bios into a non-reference card you will have a Brick for card , sorry but just do not flash it or you will have a very unusable card fubar.

9. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    I also got that version ... thank you for the info I was looking for this as well. But it's not a big loss, in my oppinion the clocks matter more ... btw the cooler on this model is suprisingly good and my card can do 950/1375 on stock voltage (1.1v), with that OC and the fan set to 45% the card reaches 71 C max for the GPU! I haven't even tried to go further probably it has an additional 10-30Mhz more headroom I will test and check this tomorrow :).

Too bad for the unlock though as this GPU does have a lot of extra headroom ...

10. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    It is too bad mate but generally they do this every revision. The first 5850/70's had volterra voltage regulators, second revision did not, same with these cards, it saves them money as they are skimping on parts. Here in the UK sapphire cards are generally more expensive and have the worst features and I think its because they pay less for their stuff, I mean why the hell supply the 6950 reference cards different? The worst cheapest binned chips that have issues unlocking, thats why. Ive been talking to guys that cant OC their 6950 even 10mhz without hell breaking loose on their sappy cards, thats why I no longer even try to help,its a losing battle with those cards not saying they dont all unlock but most will have major issues.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

11. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i cant say that much bad abou saph. My 4870x2 was pretty damn good for a dual gpu card and lasted a long time with voltmod etc until i had a water accident :(

But it was an original ref design. Could be why idk
    regardless got my shaman in last night and wow i love this thing..SO quiet now.. Will do some testing to see if i can get 1000mhz stable :)

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    well just got in about 1.5hrs of gaming and not a hiccup at 1000core/1500mem 1.3v max temp 62c but usually 55-56 and completely silent ..Very happy :)

13. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    looking good man, nice at 1000 core silently isnt it :)

Im going to spend a little time today writing up a question to AMD, I want to know wether they are happy or sad from my actions, it confuses me so thought it would be best to ask :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  14. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea i love it. I ended up gaming another 2-3hrs last night on black ops and no issues at all. I might try lowering voltage to 1.275 to see if itll be stable at that. but before that i think some benching is in order, see what kind of core i can get out of it at 1.3

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Received my Sapphire 6950 today. Flashed, and unlocked shaders @1536. :D

16. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    phew glad you didnt break it, well done dude :)

17. tom91x

tom91x Member

GPU:
    6950 CF
    Hi im looking to flash my 6950's in crossfire, ive downloaded the flash tools, will that flash both of them? Ive read running the 6970 bios can damage a 6950's memory? Just a bit worried about damaging the cards considering they were so expensive! Could someone suggest the easiest way?

Not interested in overclocking any further than standard 6970 speeds (880mhz) just want them running nice and stable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  18. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    first what card make is it and second no it wont damage anything

in ATIFLASH I would type

atiflash -f -p 0 (your bios name).bin

for the first card, for the second I would type

atiflash -f -p 1 (your bios name).bin

then both cards would be sorted, I dont know the winflash commands sorry I dont use it, I always flash in DOS enviroment as its miles safer IMO.

Dont forget the UNLOCK ROM command also ;)

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Is it normal for the GPU temp to be so high? The fan spins at around 70% while playing Crysis 2 on Extreme settings.

EDIT** fixed. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  20. EN[joi]DK

EN[joi]DK Active Member

GPU:
    msi 1060 6GB
    where to download msi r6970 ligthning bios?