6900XT Crashing System if Clocked over 2000mhz

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pegasus1, Oct 31, 2021.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ok, Changed out a 1080Ti and Seasonic 850W for a 6900xt and Be Quiet 1200 Pro.
    New kit into the rig, no issues with the water loop so booted up, everything was fine in desktop and 2D in general, however as soon as i went to game the rig just cut out completely, no BSOD, no back to desktop, a complete shutdown.

So things id already done, complete clean of the NV drivers and install of the most recent Radeon drivers, Played about with voltages until ive settled on 2000mhz gives me a stable system for games and 3D benching progs.
    Temps no issue, never above 50C.
    Now for the bit I'm not 100% on and thats the PSU, i have 5 slots for PCIe cables and each cables has 2x8 pin connectors, I've tried using 2x8pin from the same cable and 1x8pin from two separate cables, neither allows me more than the 2000mhz. The normal MB 24pin is in plus the 8 pin, there is another 4pin and i also connected that up to the P8 socket on the PSU but that didn't allow me to go beyond the 2000mhz either.

Before i put my old PSU back in to see if the issue is PSU rather than GPU, has anybody come across this issue before? Prior to the swap out the MOBO (Asrock 570 Taichi) has run flawlessly. Any particular voltages i need to check, Its the first AMD card ive had since my 9800Pro all those years ago, thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    latest motherboard bios? what's gpu-z reporting for pci-e lane speed?

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Bios is older, from April but the 6900 was out by then but il update anyway, GPUz saying x16 4.0 @ x16 4.0

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Tried different drivers?

what happens at 1999mhz core speed? what tests you running timespy? firestrike? what's reported voltage for core?

cards boost beyond what you usually set in msi ab or control panel? are you using control panel tuning actually?

you can use more power tools to tweak unstable card

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Its not exactly 2ghz, if i use different games or something like Furmark it can vary a bit when it loses stability but it actually shuts the PC off, not a BSOD or CTDT. Im updated all CPU, MOBO and GPU driv ers, ive gone back a release on the drivers and see how that is but it must be a power draw thing.
    Tomorrow il go back and use two separate leads each on a separate rail, il also see if i can go over 2ghz but with less voltage to see if its the clock or the voltage that triggers the shutdown. If all else fails il swap out my PSu for the old one and see how that is.

Thanks for the help but its late here now and between this and the rebuild ive been at it the whole weekend,

6. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT OC
    Even though your Be Quite should theoretically be fine, it sounds like your PSU is unable to handle the transient power draw spikes that the 6900XT (3080Ti, 3090) causes.

I did a similar upgrade this summer, but I didn't change out my 1000W Seasonic Prime PSU and my system did the same thing as what your experiencing. I was able to work on the card OC and test with Superposition, 3DMark, etc., but not too long after launching an actual game my PC would just shutdown. I upgraded to a Seasonic 1300W Gold unit and have not had a single shutdown since. Not necessarily recommending that particular PSU as I have tried 3 different ones now and the hybrid fan mode hasn't worked correctly on any of them, so I have to leave it in normal mode and the fan is a little louder than I'd like, but no shutdowns so I tolerate the noise.

You can test this theory by reducing your power limit to say 85% and limiting FPS to 60 if you have a high refresh rate monitor and see if you can game for a couple of hours without a shutdown. If so, you may need to try different PSU's until you find one that can handle the high power draw spikes. I know the Be Quite should be awesome, but I too thought my Seasonic Prime was tops and it couldn't handle this card either.

Also, I would for sure use individual power cables to connect the card rather than using two connectors from the same cable.

Best of luck.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    My PSU is a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1200W, if that cant run a 9800XT at stock speeds then il be amazed. Also with say a game, lets say DCS, i can boot into the game, the initian menau screen, select a custom mission, add and remove units all fine, when i go to fly, as the £d aspect appears the system just shuts down. Same with say FC5, fine all the way until the £D engine needs to do anything and shuts down. Its fine at lower speeds and ive set the maximum allowable power draw and all is fine, its the core speed that seems to trigger something. Maybe tomorrow il swap out the PCIe cables and try using two separate rails.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    So, after some more testing it seems that no matter how high i set my voltage, the card never uses more than 0.875v, so i think this is the issue, the card is constantly under volting so wont let me push beyond 1950 - 2000mhz in any game or 3D application.
    So the question now is, Why?
    PS, Ive not used an AMD card since my 9800Pro so im new to the Adrenalin control panel and AMD clocking in general.
    [​IMG]

9. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT OC
    As far as I know AMD won't let you increase voltage beyond stock in their software so not sure what your seeing in that regard.

First thing to do is take a step back and let us know what card you have. What is the stock speed etc.? I'd stop trying to over clock something that isn't yet stable so that you can sort things out first.

A. Put card at stock speed and use RTSS in Afterburner to monitor voltage during benchmark runs to see if it is indeed stuck in a lower power state. If so, you can return the card or continue to trouble shoot. I know availability stinks right now so hopefully the card isn't defective.
    B. Get another PSU from another manufacturer (1200W, 1300W or 1600W) and see if that solves the issue. Borrow from a friend if you can or order another PSU to try and return the one that doesn't work assuming the Dark Rock Pro is still inside of the return window.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The card isnt being OCed, it will run fine at stock but only if i set the max speed at stock, ie it isnt allowed to boost beyond stock. The voltage on my card it seems is linked proportionately to the GPU speed, ie if i limit the GPU to 1800mhz the voltage maxes out at say 0.8v, if i set 1900mhz it rises to 0.85 volts and 2000mhz gives me 0.9 (these figures are not exact). The voltage does not correspond to what i set on the slider so at say 2000mhs which is stable if set as a custom value, the voltage stays constant irrespective of the voltage setting above 0.9v, im assuming this is an AMD thing ie the voltage setting is a maximum should it be required rather than a constant.
    I have plenty of spare PSUs that are up to the job, ive been building custom rigs since before a single core AMD 3700SD was the go to and we used fish tank pumps for our WCing, so plenty of spares.
    The PSU powers plenty of stuff in the rig and all voltages are 100% stable, the issue is down to how the card is linking the allowed voltage to the GPU speed, and im really asking as ive been NV since replacing my 9800Pro (with XT bios ha ha as well did).

Thanks for the assistance, once im home later il do more testing, this morning i ran DCS fine at 2025mhz which saw the voltage at 0.945v and it was 100% stable, il keep creeping things up and see where i get to, i cant RMA the card or PSU anytime soon as bought both back in the UK and now im no longer there, and i wont be there for maybe 6 months.

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Load up more power tools this will show you power table in voltages stored on the cards vbios. It's possible registry is messed up from your switch over from NV to AMD which is impacting what voltages the card is been told to use.

Download MPT
    Use GPU-Z to save bios for your card to desktop
    Use MPT load up saved bios from desktop
    Look at power table and see what voltages are set
    SOC is memory controller default is 55 amps found stability improved at 60 amps
    You can adjust/tweak settings like auto voltage down in MPT, might be worth disabling ULPS using msi ab in settings menu.
    Changing stuff in MPT just hit write SPPT, message pops you says successful, then restart computer, nothing applies until you restart computer and if you uninstall drivers, you have use MPT again cause it's basically software modding not bios flashing, basically resets to new never been touched state

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    @pegasus1
    What is temperature of your VRAM under load? check it via HWINFO64.

13. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT OC
    One pass with Heaven resulted in the following. I don't know if it's an apples to apples comparison though. I have the XTXH version of the card which is running around 2430mhz under load. I'm working on undervolting my card and have replaced all of the thermal pads and paste so it's not exactly stock.
    GPU 74C, Hot spot 90C, Memory 66c

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Right, super weird and i suspect this is a driver conflict thing.
    When i installed the card along with new PSU and a new Pump, before shutting the rig down to remove the 1080Ti i used Driver Cleaner in safe mode, once the new bits were in and i booted up 9offline) i installed the new drivers, the new MS update for Ryzen and the latest BIOS and a new MOBO driver. So as in the Op the first time i went into anything 3D the rig just cut all power. After a little thinking i manually set the GPU speed very low and started to creep it up using Kombuster and the only res i could get is to not cut out was super low like 480p. Anyway after trying all sorts to try and eliminate various components i installed the previous release of drivers and still no dice. Anyway the next time i rebooted i thought il try again from a low fixed 9max) GPU speed and see at what point of either volrage, power draw or GPU speed thing would go South.

Well i kept doing this and im now running at 2.3ghz and 1.00v without issue in various games. Ive run DCS at 4k and max eye candy, COH2 and FC5, all are fine, all temps are mega, not surprised there as the loop is solid.

So i can only assume either something was left over from the NV drivers or the latest AMD drivers where causing an issue somewhere along the line.

Ok im still not out the woods as ive not tried any other setting other than manual at 2350 Max and 2150 Min.

So in summary, and anybody who has been building rigs since the San Diego and C2D duo days will understand that the PC fairy was at work and has now hopefully left the building.

I must say although my old 1080Ti was an awesome card, this 9800xt just blows it away, and runs cooler as well.

Thanks for all the help gents, much appreciated for an AMD newbie (sort of).

15. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT OC
    Excellent! Enjoy!