690 GTX Club/Overclocking/Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, May 8, 2012.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Thanks for your guide, I just flashed both the GPU's on my GTX 690 with unlocked BIOS and have set the TDP Max to 150. Didn't really improve on anything though, the second I go past +140 (1160MHz) on the core clock it will fail during MSI Kombustor stress testing.

And I think you might have misunderstood me here, I'm not claiming GPU2 in my GTX 690 to clock worse than GPU1, they are both running:

+150 Power Limit
    +140 Core Clock (1160MHz)
    +500 Memory Clock (7GHz)

That's through MSI Afterburner and both nVIDIAInspector and GPU-Z reports the boost clocks to be right for both GPU's.

What I cant understand is how one GPU takes a trashloads of work during stress testing with MSI Kombuster's various test, while the second GPU isn't remotely close to being pushed at all.

As you most likely know already the GTX 690 is basically 2x GK104 on the same PCB.. So I basically have 2x GTX 680 in one single graphics card. So I've got a GPU1 and a GPU2, but being clocked to the exact same speeds using MSI Afterburner, and they both now feature their own unlocked BIOS.

What I find odd is that during various stress test this is what both GPU-Z, nVIDIAInspector and MSI Kombuster itself tend to report:

GPU1:

TDP: 120-140
    Core Clock: 1175MHz
    Mem Clock: 3505MHz
    Load: 98-100%
    Temps: 75-82

GPU2:

TDP: 25-35
    Core Clock: 914MHz
    Mem Clock: 3505MHz
    Load: 0-35%
    Temps: 30-40

It's rather obvious that GPU2 is barley in use at all, and 914MHz core clock is telling me that it's boost clock of 1175MHz don't even kick in. How come? It has barley any workload to begin with, its TPD is low and its temps are way below anything that should point at throttling of any sort.

Is it just bad support for SLI in the stress test making it utilise only one GPU?

2. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Never mind.. It was MSI Kombustor having horrid, or next to non support for SLI... I installed and fired up FurMark 1.10.3 and ran a 15min burn in benchmark and it actually managed to push both GPU's equally and they both reached a core clock boost of 1215MHz, all stable.

Its awkward how FurMark has perfect SLI support when MSI Kombustor doesn't, they are developed by the same team based on pretty much the same code.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Good stuff, The bios mod would have helped you hit 1215mhz until this mod there wasnt many gpu's that could hit this target unless they were the cherry picked ones that were sent out to reviewers like Hilbert.

However now its much easier to get over 1200mhz on the core, I gained an increase of 30mhz on each core without even touching the voltage settings, Im sure even more can be pushed but i think its only worth doing if you go down the water route as your currently using the best fan that you can get.

Keep you eyes peeled on the Xtremesystems thread for more official updates from the creator.:)

Also for stability and benchmarking try running heavenbench and 3d mark 11.

4. worms14

worms14 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX690
    Hi guys. I recently bought GTX690 and tried to flash it, extracted bios with gpu-z and edited with kepler tweaker. I changed the voltage (1,212) and power limit (150).
    Do i have to flash gpu 1 and 1 separately (i suppose i do but i'd like to confirm). I want to flash it with zotac firestorm. What do you think about it?

I also attached my original 690 bios. If somebody could flash it for me I'd be 100% sure that I have good flashed bios. Thanks
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/8fxyge

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes you do both of them separately.
    Follow this guide step by step.

Flashing bios instructions for any Nvidia Keplar GPU.
    YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

I wrote this guide as i couldnt find one anywhere.

First of all, You then need to download these files.

GPU-Z (This is used to grab the original Bios from the Gpu wether multi or single)
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2181/mirrors.php

KGB - Kepler BIOS Editor/Unlocker. (This is used to modify the Bios that you just grabbed from your Gpu using Gpu-z)

KGB supports: GTX690, GTX680, GTX670, GTX660Ti, GTX660OEM and GTX660

New version 0.6.1 (Adjustable Boost control)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6dimgnx8cxvlca/kgb_0.6.1.zip

Old version 0.5
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrunxuq03vj0m5y/kgb_0.5.zip

NVFLASH (This is used to reflash or reinstall the new modified bios)
    Make sure this is version 5.127, An older version will not work.
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/nVFlash-Download-16133.html

Steps 1-10.

1.Ok what you need is firstly to make a USB dongle bootable into DOS, To do this read this very easy to follow guide.
    http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

2.Run GPU-Z and and click on the icon that allows you to grab your bios from the Gpu and save it to your PC.

Each Gpu has 1 bios that belongs to it.

Then also at the bottom of the picture were it is circled in red and labelled 2, If you have more than 1 gpu then you will need to change this to gpu 2,3 or 4.

Then grab bios no 2 from your Gpu and save it to your PC the same way that you did with bios 1

The picture below shows how.....

[​IMG]

Also make sure you have a copy of your bios, Put the original(s) in a safe place!!

3.Once you have grabbed your bios put it into C:\Users\ (yourname) and rename it 1.rom

For example the bios from the GTX 690 Gpu 1 is called GK104.rom, I renamed it to 1.rom and the bios from Gpu 2 also named GK104.rom I renamed 2.rom.

The reason why you should put the bios in C:\Users\ (yourname) is because the default path will be set here from KGB.exe so if you are not familiar with the CMD (Commandline) then this is the easiest way of doing it.

5.Take the KGB.exe as well as the KGB.cfg file and also place both of these in C:\Users\ (yourname).
    You should now have KGB.exe, KGB.cfg and 1.rom files in C:\Users\ (yourname).

If you have more than 1xGpu then you will have 1.rom and 2.rom respectively in C:\Users\ (yourname).

6.The next thing to do is open up the CMD (Commandline) which im sure you all know how to do.
    Once you have the CMD open, Copy and paste in this command.

kgb 1.rom unlock (press enter).

It will now save the new values (i.e. from kgb.cfg) in your bios then print out the new values in the bios.

Do the same again for 2.rom if you have a 2nd card/Dual gpu and have extracted the bios file from the Gpu(s).

Copy and paste in this command into the CMD (Commandline)

kgb 2.rom unlock (press enter).

It will now save the new values (i.e. from kgb.cfg) in your bios then print out the new values in the bios.

7.Now all we need to do is put the new modified 1.rom and possibly 2.rom back onto the gpu, To do this we need to use the USB DOS bootable Dongle that we created in step 1.

Take the nvflash files once you have extracted them and place them onto the USB DOS bootable Dongle, There should be 2 files.

Then place the 1.rom bios also on the USB DOS bootable Dongle.

8.Now the Dongle is ready to be booted from so reboot the PC and go into the bios.
    Once you are in the bios make it so the PC boots from the dongle, Once this happens you will then have a flashing cursor telling you that you are in DOS mode.

9.Type in nvflash --list (press enter)
    This will then tell you what gpu(s) that you have installed on your motherboard.

10.Type in nvflash -i1 1.rom (press enter)

It will then say flashing Gpu and press Y to confirm, so press Y and the flashing will commence which takes a few seconds.

If you have a second gpu with 2.rom.

Type in nvflash -i2 2.rom (press enter)

It will then say flashing Gpu and press Y to confirm, so press Y and the flashing will commence which takes a few seconds.

Once this is done reboot the PC go into the bios and reset your boot so it boots from your hardrive with the Windows OS on.

Once you get into windows you can see from MSI afterburner or EVGA precision that the power target can be raised from 130 to 150.

When gaming the boost clock should be higher depending on your GPU.

I achieved around an increase of 30 on the core clock on boost alone on both GPU's which is very good.

It will differ for each person and each GPU(s), You can also try other peoples bios as long as iyts the same GPU as your own.

You can also modify the KGB.exe and tweak power settings for even more results but I wouldnt advise this unless you know what you are doing, I would just leave it at stock and use that for the time being.

The original Creator of KGB.exe can be found here.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284014-KGB-Kepler-BIOS-Editor-Unlocker/page4

Common problem that may arrise.
    Sometimes when you flash your card(s) you may get this problem were you card is write protected and it wont allow you to flash it.

Picture here of problem...
    [​IMG]
    The Solution
    Type in the CMD....Nvflash --protectoff....then try again with the flash. to enable it again do....Nvflash --protecton.

This should enable you to write/flash the bios to the card with no problems.

Additional Information,3rd Feb 2013

v0.6.1 has adjustable Boost clock which are coded into the KGB.

The Boost clock adjust can be found in the .cfg file.

Here is the table with which you should set your boost clock too which are increments of 13mhz.

This is a list of valid frequencies that have been coded in KGB.

Set your Boost clock ,flash and then test for stability.

Everything you do is at your own risk

I hope this guide has helped.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    ^btw you do NOT need -4 -5 -6.. just nvflash biosname.rom is enough

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I use nvflash for windows myself
    nvflash -i0 romname.rom for gpu1
    nvflash -i1 romname.rom for gpu2

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its irrelevant, I didnt do that, Thats an example screenshot for a write protection error made by somebody else somewhere on the Internet, I posted it to help people if they get that error.

The guide i wrote works perfect if followed correctly.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    yeah i know, just a FYI for other people. just -4 -5 -6 argument forces a flash even if the bios isnt for the card, ie 670 > 680

10. worms14

worms14 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX690
    Thank you all for your advice.
    I'm scared of doing it great, but the temptation even greater.
    However, I read that a GTX690 undergo the biggest headache because the only thing you can change in the BIOS MOD to Power Limit of 135% to 150%, and the clock at 1202Mhz BOOST, connection is blocked.
    I wonder whether it is worthwhile to risk for these changes, at the moment of the Power Limit 135% GPU OC to +70 MHz = 1137Mhz, the above is the display driver errors in Heaven 4.0.
    Do the same power limit should change the bios?You could check whether I have modified the original bios 2x GPU?
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/8fxyge

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I wouldnt start tampering with the voltage as even Crazynuts has said that you could end up with even worse performance.

Like i said before if you follow the guide step by step and take your time while doing it, everything should work perfectly with no problems:)

Before you even attempt to use this mod i would find out how good your card actually is first by overclocking to atleast +100 on the core and then testing in Heaven bench/3d mark 11.

Then you can start increasing the core even more by increments of 5-10 mhz.

Then you can start on the memory, the most i seen somebody memory go up to and be stable was +750 most i seen on the core was 150+ all on an air setup.

Im at 130 core and 500 memory fully stable.

I can get my gpu stable at 1215 in heaven but fails in 3d mark 11 so for me stability is at 1202 for 24/7 use.

What this mod does is give you an extra 30mhz without any tweaking.

Hilbert had a 690 that went to 1215mhz when overclocked with no tweaking so if he were to use this mod he would be at around 1245-1250mhz which is quite impressive for a 690 considering its 2xGpus that produce much more heat than 1xGpu.

12. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    Hi, i'm gonna try this with my GTX 690

Just 2 doubts:

How should i refer to GPU1 and GPU2 of my GTX 690 ?
    -i0 and -i1 like the example below,
    or -i1 and -i2 like in the guide ?

nvflash -i0 romname.rom for gpu1
    nvflash -i1 romname.rom for gpu2

If i want to revert to my original bios, theres no problem right?
    It's just flash them (the original ones) with the same process ?

Thanks

13. worms14

worms14 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX690
    jesteves, and if I could ask you for posting your mod rom?
    How do you make an attempt to upload a write step by step as you did with the commands and what it gave you.For me, the default bios-gpu max 70 MHz, 555 MHz mem everything 3DM11 gpu 110 MHz max.

14. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    It's a GTX 690 from Gigabyte.

I'm at work now, but tonight i will flash my card.
    I will tell how it worked, and i give you a link to download
    the modded bios.

My card can do at the moment:

Any Game: 135 / 120 / 500 (power / gpu / mem) 1163 mhz

Heaven4 /3dm2013: 135 / 100 / 300 (power / gpu / mem) 1100 mhz

15. worms14

worms14 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX690
    Super already can not wait the effects of your work.I wish good luck, keep your fingers crossed.
    Better you hit play.
    Any Game: 135/90/555 (power / gpu / mem)*
    Heaven4 /: 135/70/555 (power / gpu / mem)
    3DM /: 135/110/555(power / gpu / mem) 1176MHz/ 3557MHz

16. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    So, i had a little time at lunch and i tried to flash my GTX690.
    Did everything right, used a dos usb boot disk.
    But it didn't start the flash, it give me this error:

"Warning: Firmware Image Board ID (E102) does not match Adaptor Board ID (E103)
    Warning: Firmware Image Hierarchy ID (Switch port 16)
    either does not match the Hierarchy ID of the Adapter (Switch port 8)
    or does not match the Hierarchy role of the adapter (Switch port 8)
    ERROR: Board ID mismatch"

@Veteran
    Can i ask for your help Sir.

Because i really want to try this.
    Thanks.

GTX690 Gigabyte Original Bios:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50051642/GTX690-Gigabyte-Original-Bios.zip

GTX690 Gigabyte Modded Bios:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50051642/GTX690-Gigabyte-Modded-Bios.zip

EDIT:

Could the cause of this error be, that in the moment i saved my 2 bios in GPUz i may switched the bios, and so i was trying to flash bios from the second GPU in the first GPU ?

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    my cards are -i0, -i1
    if you type nvflash --list it will list them

18. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    I did the nvflash --list, it give me this:

0 PLX
    1 GTX 690
    2 GTX 690

So i did nvflash -i1 1.rom
    nvflash -i2 2.rom

But it gave me the error i posted above, because probably i renamed the bios wrong, they were switched.
    Im gonna try again later.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had to save my bios several times with gpuz as I kept getting check sum errors when I tried to flash. maybe it didnt save correctly. once it saved correctly I was able to flash no problem. maybe thats it or you have write protect enabled maybe, regardless wait for help before continuing

20. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    Ok, thanks
    i dowloaded the newest gpuz 0.6.7, i used the 0.6.6 before.
    i saved my two bios again, and this time im sure i did it wright.
    So later when i go back to home i will try to flash it again.