690 GTX Club/Overclocking/Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, May 8, 2012.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thats at default clocks,i do have good airflow in my case.
    Ill try now with auto fan.....gimme few mins

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    On auto fan temps are around 70-75 degrees.
    i used these settings.
    [​IMG]

3. ..VeNoM..

..VeNoM.. Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Thanks mate.. Appreciate that

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nice block,sorry for late reply as ive changed ISP's.
    I do like that XSPC one but i also like this one.......
    [​IMG]
    so its gonna be a toss up between these 2.

6. ..VeNoM..

..VeNoM.. Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    The XSPC one is looking nice... Although they could have made the the lighting easier to hide (the cables).

Can't wait to see the results you guys get from watercooling :)

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There are a couple of people i found on other forums who are getting 160 on the core with not problems and card is fully stable but there ****ing about taking there time in doing it,if it was me i would try increments of 30mhz,find my threshold then,come down to a stable oc,but these people take days to report an increase of any stable oc and when they do decide to do it its only an increment of 10mhz.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't get that, it took me literally ~60 minutes. I went right up to 150 sat in a heaven for 15 minutes then tried 175, it crashed after like 30 seconds, then tried 165 crashed after 15ish, then tried 155 and it ran fine for a while so I left it there. Played some starcraft, at night I let heaven run overnight fell asleep in the morning it was still running. Can I squeeze a couple more mhz out of it? Probably but I really don't see the point. With my Koolance block it's running at 46c loaded so atm I'm happy.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah some cards oc better than others but the person on the other forum Overclock.net when i checked today managed to get the core at 160,any higher than this and it was stability failure so it seems most cards i think will max out around this on water.

Seems to me adding a bit of extra voltage may do the trick beings as temps are still very very low at full load.

Anybody know of any custom volt mods for the 690?

10. CommanderJ

CommanderJ New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 690
    Hey guys

Have had my Gainward GTX 690 for a while now and been following this thread. Figured I'd put in my benches and what I can get out of this and still being stable.

The highest OC I can manage stable in both Heaven and 3DMark 11 is:

+135%
    +150Mhz (only tried in increments of 10, dont want to spend ages for tiny OC)
    +400Mhz (only tried in increments of 100)

At these settings the core clock is usually 1202Mhz on both cards during benching, with one of them very occationally jumping to 1215 or 1228.

Even at max fan, PCB1 will push 80-83C at the end of a single Heaven bench.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tekin77

tekin77 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 690 gtx
    690 o/c

hi guys

trying to o/c this card but driver stops responding then black screen :bang::bang:

card runs fine in default settings

the highest i get is

pt 135
    gpu off 100
    mem off 100

fan 70%

any ideas

12. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Try the 302.59 driver its the only driver for me that i use without errors on any app/game/benchmark,ive used all newer drivers and there **** tbh.

14. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    690 newbie

Hi to all.:)

Just got an ASUS 690 and was wondering the same.

I tried a question on xtreme forums where a guy (LN2 setup) talks about 1.45v on the core but does not say how he got it. I know, 1.45v with LN2 is extreme but he must have a volt mod to get there.

15. zalbard

zalbard Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB
    TiN says the mods for GTX 690 are identical to those for GTX 680.
    Seems a little too complex for me, though, I don't want DIP switches.

If you succeed with your GTX 690 without the switches - let me know, I'd be interested in giving it a go.

16. JAGUARCD32X

JAGUARCD32X New Member

GPU:
    gtx590 3gb
    I am not sure if I should buy one?

I want to buy a 690 but decided to ask you nice folk some questions first as I want to know a few things first.
    1. If a GTX680 is real close to the performance of a gtx590 with the 590 usually comanding 10 to 15 fps advantage in most games, then why does the 690 not have similar or the same performance as three average 580's sli?.

2. Doesn't the 690 have double the performance of the 590, which I already own?
    3. I seen a crazy benchmark that confused me on this site. My 590 has better performance than the 680 in Battlefield 3. From what I have witnessed anywhere between 15 to 20 fps. I seen a Battlefield 3 benchmark at the crazy high res of 5670x 1080, is that the right res?. Anyway this benchmark had the 590 at 14 fps and the 680 at 30 odd? and the 690 at 44. How can that be as the 590 beats 680 in most games and has far faster VRAM. So you could imagine at that res it shouldn't be so much of a thumping of the 590?. Is the real nextgen performance of the Keplers the ammount of pixels they can push and will nextgen game engine show more of a gap than at present?.

4. Lastly will I be able to remove the 590 and insert the 690 into my PC without having to swap power cables etc as I haven't built a rig before and would like to start with something easy and can I overclock the 690 or is it dependent on heat? PS sorry for monopolising the thread and thanks for any help

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Quick update.

I modded and flashed my bios last night and the oc has improved on the boost by about 15-20 hz on the core clock.

My power target is now 150 instead of 135.

Also gonna increase oc to 140 0n the core and try that instead of 130.

Boost clock is now over 1208 GPU1 and GPU2 1197 so its improved.

Gonna do some more stability and benchmarking later at with newer bios.

18. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I'm using MSI Afterburner for overclocking my Asus GTX 690 and it seems my max is about:

+135 Power Limit
    +140 Core Clock (1160MHz)
    +500 Memory Clock (7GHz)

I'm quite pleased with the memory overclock, but the core clock is not where I expected it to be as most people seems to at least be able to hit +150 (1180MHz) which also worked for me to begin with but after a few days it just wouldn't stick with me anymore.

Do anyone else have trouble with overvolting? If I increase voltage with +25 - +50 mV GPU-Z and nVIDIA Inspector will keep reporting a maximum of 1.112V during stress test so it doesn't seem to do anything?

And how can I downclock 2D speeds? Afterburner cares only about the 3D speeds and nothing about the various 2D settings, I can downclock dem using nVIDIA Inspector but then I have to manually re-enable them on every reboot which is a huge pain. I'd like to downclock the 2D speeds to reduce my over all power output of my desktop, I've been tweaking my motherboard and CPU settings to near perfection so it consumes about 8-15w during idle / standby but I can't seem to find any decent way to fix the GPU 2D speeds.

As my desktop is running 24 / 7 and 90% of the time it just acts like a server I'd like to get the power consumption while idle to a bare minimum.

19. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Another thing I notice while stress testing using MSI Kombuster is that GPU2 is reporting TDP of about 28-32%, Core Clock 914MHz, Mem Clock 3505MHz and VDDC 0.987 and about 30-50% load while GPU1 on the other hand reports about 120-130% TDP, Core Clock 1175MHz, Mem Clock 3505MHz, VDDC 1.175MHz and 98-100% load.

How come one GPU is clearly underused, and don't feature the same core clock, neither the same TDP as the other one? It doesn't even go past 45 degrees celsius under the stress test so there is cleary a huge headroom for it to boost into.

It seems very akward to me that the test wont fully utilise both GPUs, yet along to not have both GPUs reporting the same core clock speeds.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    One GPU always clocks more or less than the other, Its just the way that it is.

Try this guide that i written for modding yout bios if you want to, Its easy to follow as long as you follow everything correctly.

My GPU's both go over 1200mhz when overclocked now which is great.

(Ive also updated post no1 with this guide)
    Flashing bios instructions for any Nvidia Keplar GPU.
    YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

I wrote this guide as i couldnt find one anywhere.

First of all, You then need to download these files.

GPU-Z (This is used to grab the original Bios from the Gpu wether multi or single)
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2181/mirrors.php

KGB - Kepler BIOS Editor/Unlocker. (This is used to modify the Bios that you just grabbed from your Gpu using Gpu-z)

KGB supports: GTX690, GTX680, GTX670, GTX660Ti, GTX660OEM and GTX660
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrunxuq03vj0m5y/kgb_0.5.zip

NVFLASH (This is used to reflash or reinstall the new modified bios)
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/nVFlash-Download-16133.html

Steps 1-10.

1.Ok what you need is firstly to make a USB dongle bootable into DOS, To do this read this very easy to follow guide.
    http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

2.Run GPU-Z and and click on the icon that allows you to grab your bios from the Gpu and save it to your PC.

The pictures below show how.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also make sure you have a copy of your bios!!

3.Once you have grabbed your bios put it into C:\Users\My and rename it 1.rom

For example the bios from the GTX 690 Gpu 1 is called GK104.rom, I renamed it to 1.rom and the bios from Gpu 2 I renamed 2.rom.

The reason why you should put the bios in C:\Users\My is because the default path will be set here from KGB.exe so if you are not familiar with the CMD (Commandline) then this is the easiest way of doing it.

5.Take the KGB.exe as well as the KGB.cfg file and also place both of these in C:\Users\My.
    You should now have KGB.exe, KGB.cfg and 1.rom files in C:\Users\My.

If you have more than 1xGpu then you will have 1.rom and 2.rom respectively in C:\Users\My.

6.The next thing to do is open up the CMD (Commandline) which im sure you all know how to do.
    Once you have the CMD open, Copy and paste in this command.

kgb 1.rom unlock (press enter).

It will now save the new values (i.e. from kgb.cfg) in your bios then print out the new values in the bios.

7.Now all we need to do is put the new modified 1.rom back onto the gpu, To do this we need to use the USB DOS bootable Dongle that we created in step 1.

Take the nvflash files once you have extracted them and place them onto the USB DOS bootable Dongle, There should be 2 files.

Then place the 1.rom bios also on the USB DOS bootable Dongle.

8.Now the Dongle is ready to be booted from so reboot the PC and go into the bios.
    Once you are in the bios make it so the PC boots from the dongle, Once this happens you will then have a flashing cursor telling you that you are in DOS mode.

9.Type in nvflash --list (press enter)
    This will then tell you what gpu(s) that you have installed on your motherboard.

10.Type in nvflash -i1 1.rom (press enter)

It will then say flashing Gpu and press Y to confirm, so press Y and the flashing will commence which takes a few seconds.

If you have a second gpu with 2.rom.

Type in nvflash -i2 2.rom (press enter)

It will then say flashing Gpu and press Y to confirm, so press Y and the flashing will commence which takes a few seconds.

Once this is done reboot the PC go into the bios and reset your boot so it boots from your hardrive with the Windows OS on.

Once you get into windows you can see from MSI afterburner or EVGA precision that the power target can be raised from 130 to 150.

When gaming the boost clock should be higher depending on your GPU.

I achieved around an increase of 30 on the core clock on boost alone on both GPU's which is very good.

It will differ for each person and each GPU(s), You can also try other peoples bios as long as iyts the same GPU as your own.

You can also modify the KGB.exe and tweak power settings for even more results but I wouldnt advise this unless you know what you are doing, I would just leave it at stock and use that for the time being.

Everything you do is at your own risk

I hope this guide has helped.

Good luck.

The original Creator of KGB.exe can be found here.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284014-KGB-Kepler-BIOS-Editor-Unlocker/page4