6870 Idle Fan Speed 50+%

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hiro1000, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Mobo: Asrock 890GX Extreme3 (latest bios)
    Processor: AMD Black X4 955 AM3 @ Stock
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333
    Case: Stormscout
    Videocard: XFX 6870 1GB
    Drivers tried: 12.10, Windows Update driver

Problem: When the machine boots, the video card fan is stable and quiet. The moment Windows starts to load, the gpu fan shoots up to around 50-60% speed. Temperature wise, the card idles below 50 Celsius.

Notes: When the driver is not installed (the generic vga driver is used), the fan is quiet at around 20% in Windows. The moment a driver is installed, be it the 12.10, or the windows update driver from 2011, the fans instantly increase to 50+%. This problem does not occur in Linux.

Attempted Solutions: At first, I noticed that I was able to successfully set the speed of the fan manually in CCC. This however is not quite viable as it does not dynamically change the speed to accommodate for the usage of the gpu. I've also dumped the BIOS and modified the gpu fan speed steppings thinking the card was reporting bad temperatures, but no amount of changing the steppings would result in a lower idle fan speed.

Ultimately, I would like to fix this problem, be it a driver issue, or some sort of patch, or possibly a recommendation for a 3rd party program.

Thanks a bunch.

2. Markusfen

Markusfen Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7850 2gb @ 1050mhz
    Think I had this same problem with my new ATI card.
    I disabled CCC running the card, which it did by default and used MSI Afterburner.

Shouldn't be idling at 50c though, where are you getting your temps from ?

3. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I attempted to disable CCC. It didn't make a difference to the fan speed. Perhaps I can try using MSI afterburner instead.

I've been pulling the temps from CCC.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Just install the AMD driver and use MSI instead, see the example below
    [​IMG]
    You can change the above to suit your needs
    I believe MSI afterburner needs to be loaded up at startup too so this can work on each log on