6850 - Zalman 460APS can handle it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by idomybest, Aug 2, 2011.

1. idomybest

idomybest Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1GB
    Hi there,

Im newbie in the forum, so I hope I would be welcome here :nerd:

I created this thread to ask:

Would Zalman 460 able to handle it?

I have the specs :):
    - Intel Core i5 2500 @ idle
    - Kingston 4x 2GB @ 1333mhz
    - Asus P8H67-V
    - HD 4850 512mb

I want to upgrade the 4850 for 6850, I think its a great upgrade with the new catalyst drivers and all. I know people would recommend 6870 or maybe 6900 series even nVidia 560 or 570 - but I say, here in Brazil, a 6850 prizes is $450 and 6870 and 560 ~ $650! And Zalman wouldnt handle they, I guess, but my PSU has 2x 6-pin connectors.

[added] I saw some reviews from Zalman 460 and those reviewers always enjoy this PSU, saying it is actually a 520w PSU, but Zalman remains at 460 just for convenience.

Maybe the differences between 4850-6850 arent that big, I saw some power consumptions in between, there is few watts, but I wud know if Im really able to get the 6850 [added]

What should I do? :fuse:

Thanks in advance!

Best whishes,

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    The 6850 is a very good card. It outperforms the 4830 but is near to the 4850 in performance... there's no big difference except in DX11, of course. I have one and it runs everything smooth... it consumes about 115-120watts at full load, and much more if overclocked. Your PSU can give around 530w wich is enough for your config, but considering NO OVERCLOCK AT ALL, especially on the CPU. I run an athlon II x4 640 + 6 gig ram + 6850 with a coolermaste 600w power plus which gives around the same watts as yours and it runs fine even with a little overclock... so you can but it and be sure it'll work but you should have an upgrade in mind for the near future ! (like me :S)
    I see you are from brazil. I'm from argentina and I must say I HATE THE PRICES OF ELECTRONICS IN LATIN AMERICA !!!!!!!! i mean... the kill us with taxes ! i bought my 6850 for USD 275 and I know that in the US is around 150 LOL ! with the same money i could almost have a crossfirex config :S

Boa sorte e que sua nuova placa sea muito boa e você possa gozar de muitos jogos! (srry for my portuguese !)

3. idomybest

idomybest Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1GB

Oh, mi amigo, muchas gracias pela su recepción aquí en el forun!

And yes, I really really much really hate the prices of electronics in latin america. USD275 twice, would be more expensive than the price here in Brazil, as you supposed from where I am and you got it right!

I guess I will make the upgrade from 4850 to 6850, yes, and I believe in everything you said! Generally, in other forums, people say to upgrade to 6890 and 590; maybe they dont have some idead how expensive are the electronics. Its a shame for us! :bang:

Which PSU do you recommend?

Im thinking about Corsair and OCZ, but they are so cheap now! I guess it is a bad quality builds or maybe re-use psus, I dont know.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes

4. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It's all about how much actual 12V wattage it can output.

I'm running a 6950 at stock and a 2600K at 4.4GHz on a 460W PSU, arguably the best 460W PSU money can buy but still. And even under torture tests, that's to say benchmarking loads as opposed to usage loads, I don't pull more power from the socket than ~320W.

My recommendation is to buy a watt-meter and check what your current rig uses and how much leeway you have if you buy a new graphics card. Meanwhile you can make a quick estimation with the eXtreme Lite PSU Calculator.

It's worth noting that the 6850 should actually pull equal to or less juice than the 4850 so if your current setup works it should be absolutely fine with a 6850 as well.

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It'll probably work. The 2500K CPU is not thirsty so should be juice enough for 6580w which eats up something like 150w full load, just like 4870

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I guess you got faked 6850 :p

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/13

6850 is by far faster than 4850. 4850 is so old, it's not even on charts. Since performance is poor for recent games.

And yes, I guess your psu should be able to handle 6850, if you running stable now.

7. idomybest

idomybest Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1GB
    I have a great perfomance even with the 4850. Bad Company 2 runs smoothly with 70~80fps idle and 35fps full action at 1280x1024 all high and dx10 less AA and AF. Its pretty nice.

Now, its my decision, I will buy it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  8. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Had the prices not been so steep you could have got something more powerful but still its going to get better even if you get the 6850.

Is 1280x1024 your native resolution or are you playing at it for extra performance? Because i can run BC2 all high 1920x1080, dx11 2xaa 4xaf hbao-on and for the most part get a constant 60fps. I actually have vsync on. Yesterday i was playing the COLD WAR level set in the snowy area and the fps never dropped below 50. I had an 8800GT before and this stage was an absolute torture even on dx9 and a lower resolution.

9. idomybest

idomybest Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1GB
    Friend,

I play at 1280x1024 because its my native resolution. A LG monitor L1952H 4:3, yes, its bad but its ok!

HBAO is on here too, so this is the perfomance I can get.

Guess with the HD6850, I can run it smoother than.

10. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    ok because i thought you were playing at that resolution since you couldn't get high enough fps..its what i do if i can't run things smoothly at my native resolution.

Yes i will run smoother - you will get a constant 60fps with a healthy amount of AA and AF thrown in but i am not sure you are going to see a world of difference in many other titles as a 4850 can run most games at high settings at that resolution anyways. So unless your a big fan of Crysis or Metro, if i were you, i would get by with the 4850 till i decided to upgrade the monitor in which case i can get a better card at that time.