680SLi Review and GTX580 SLi omittion??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Icykill, Mar 25, 2012.

?

Would you like to see the full results of the GTX 680 SLi vs the GTX 580 SLi

Poll closed Apr 24, 2012.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Icykill

Icykill New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 x2 SLi
    Hi Hilbert and Ian,
    I'm a long time reader of guru3d, first time forum poster.
    While reading your latest review on the GTX680 SLi I noticed in what some people might consider a relevant comparison test, you omitted the GTX580 SLi and only included 1x GTX580 to compare to the GTX680 SLi.
    I would be interested and I'm sure other reader's who may have GTX580 SLi (or considering it) would like to know how the GTX580 SLi stacked up in these tests.
    The tests I refer to are the following -
    DX10: 3DMark Vantage
    DX11: 3DMark 11
    DX11: Crysis 2 - High Res Textures
    DX11: Alien Versus Predator
    DX11: Battlefield 3
    The result comparisons would be good to know, especially if you have a single GTX580 and are thinking it might be cheaper to get another and SLi.
    Plus people with a GTX580 SLi setup might like to see how much an improvement GTX680 SLi actually is.

Icykill
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
    Antec Kuhler 620
    Gigabyte GTX580 SLi
    EVGA X58 Classified 760
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 Trident
    Enermax Revolution85+ 1250w
    OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
    WD Raptor RAID

2. Tequila

Tequila Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    I'd love to see this, i'm sure nVidia wouldn't though which may explain it's omittance.

3. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Id love to see this to. I have noticed this alot in the past with other sites as well. Please put the gtx580 SLI not TRI SLI(as we dont all have 3) in the review.

4. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Look at the 580 sli vs 680 sli and no sli results in other games eg. bfbc2 and you have your answer.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As much as I'm against SLI for my own personal use, I'd still like to see direct comparisons between the 2 configurations in all test scenarios.

6. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    In honestly think the vendors may require it for samples to test with. I can't say for sure but seems like they would use it for leverage if the new product isnt as impressive as they'd like for it to be against the previous gen. Now from
    what I have seen the GTX680 performance wise is significantly faster than the GTX580. Ive seen it before when ATI's 6 series came out, some if not all benchmarks scrubbed the 5870 out in alot of cases if not all of them when that series was tested. Could just be a marketing thing too. Just would rather see a reputable site such as this provide real numbers instead of waiting on a second hand review from somewhere else.

My two cents,

oVr|<|LL

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I dont think many sli 580 users think 680 sli is a very worthwhile upgrade for $1000 bucks anyway. 2 780`s not that is a different question

8. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    Reviews are mostly about the new hardware. The previous generations has already had its review. You just need to find them and compare. The game suites may have changed over time so you will not be able to compare all games. Manufactures are not sending Previous gen cards in to be rereviewed.

9. snowdweller

snowdweller Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    No they won't send in previous gen cards but we are talking Guru3d here so i can only take a guess that they have 2 lying around SOMEWHERE!

In all seriousness though it would be good to have as a baseline test as noticing through forums 580SLI is pretty common and new drivers come out all the time as well as game updates. I actually tried to compare mine to the 680 results with the LP2 test and it wasn't far off but I don't think i had the same settings...

10. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    /signed

11. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    If Hilbert had all the time in the world, I would like to see the comparison too. But he doesn't and I an happy with the focus being on the latest technology. His reviews do include the single card. So we can compare the single card performance. So I think the issue now become how well the high end cards scale in SLI which will most likely be affected by your our system.
    Then, where do you see this special interest ending. If he does it for the GTX580 guy, what about the 6970 and other guys who would like simuliar benchmarks for their crossfire or SLI system.

12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    This sums up my thoughts. i guess if you were really interested there is probably a 580 sli review in the archives?

13. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX980 FTW
    There is a 580 sli review in the reviews list. I know, because I went and found it right after I read the 680 sli review.

Same thing on other websites. As was mentioned, not all the games are the same, but you can get an idea of what its like.

Being someone who's main hobby/interest is enthusiast hardware, Im looking to buy a pair of 680s. But is it a reasonable upgrade from 580 sli? Sorry, no. I mean hell, I dont even have the 3gb versions of my HCu2 580s, and I run surround at 5760x1080, and I still cant say its 'reasonable'.

.....but Im still gonna buy two of em' :banana:

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I think the 680 is 20-30% than a 580 iirc. is $1000 worth that to a 580 sli owner? not in my book. full kepler will destroy anything imo. that would be a massive upgrade from 580 sli

15. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    They included the MARS II, which is essentially a GTX 580 SLI in one, and it's not far behind GTX 680 SLI.

16. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    nv probs said not to as it would show the 680 sli as not been that super like they want us all to think