680s flashed to 770 BIOS - Successes & Failures

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Caedo, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Francko1979

Francko1979 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC SLI´ed
    Caedo, after reading all the feedback from the success and benefits of flashing your cards, Im planning to give it a shot.
    I have 2 EVGA 02G-P4-2682-KR (I think you have one too). What BIOS you think we´ll work good for mine 2 in SLI?

Thanks!

2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    If I was you I would try this bios if you want to give it a go.
    I cant be 100% sure it will work, but flash only one card, if the card works fine, then flash the second, but -do not- flash both cards at the same time. you will leave yourself in abit of a mess if both cards don't post.

Nvflash --index=0 -4 -5 -6 bios.rom this command will flash your first graphics card,
    Nvflash --index=1 -4 -5 -6 bios.rom will do the second card.

Remember use at your own risk,
    So far the GTX770 bios as done wonders for my aging gtx680s. its been completely stable.
    Another word of warning is the GTX770 bios has higher clock speeds at default so make sure your gtx 680 can overclock to those speeds in the first place, or you might get random bluescreens and such.

3. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
  4. Klapcos

Klapcos Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti @1.5Ghz
    Good Job

Thanks to your bios recommendations I have my 2 reference 680's in SLI working away just fine in everything I can throw at it. I updated 2 of my friends 680's as well which gave them better results overall in games and overclocks.
    Very stable core clocks which doesn't fluctuate either ex. in a game like Crysis 3 my core clock stuck on 1306Mhz and never ever dips which used to happen often on the old gtx680 bios. GPU Boost 2.0 really helped solve that problem :thumbup:

5. Francko1979

Francko1979 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC SLI´ed
    Awesome holystarlight!
    Thanks a lot for the feedback.

The BIOS that did wonders for you, is the one you gave me the link for?

One last thing, what speeds should I test before flashing?

Thanks again Sir!

6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi

I have 2 Inno3D GTX 680 2GB cards, which is the best BIOS to use. I cannot find an Inno3D 770 BIOS

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Just out of curiosity, someone tried SLI with a real 770 and a BIOS-moded 680? :"!

8. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    The bios im using is for the Asus DirectCU II 770, and my cards are DirectCU II 680, they pretty much identical, hardware wise, the bios I linked you is for the EVGA GTX 770 SC which I would imagine would be identical aswell. but can never be 100% sure,

the EVGA gtx770 SC is GPU Clock: 1085 MHz(boost 1137) Memory Clock: 1753MHz, I would of thought those speeds should be fine for most GTX680, but you might have to lower the memory speed, if you notice any unstable behavior
    but try one card at a time, to limit any danger of bricking both cards,

9. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Sadly it wouldn't work, when flashing the gtx680 with a 770 bios, the gtx680 device ID doesn't change, so drivers/computer still sees it as a gtx680 but just with a 770 bios, so I would of thought SLI wouldn't work based on that

Unless there was a way to change device ID, to match a GTX 770.

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    ah, i thought it was a total transformation, but you are right, just forgot when i bricked my old 9600gt (was trying to fix a bug instead of doing RMA, at the end I RMAed it bcs of not working) :p.

11. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I cant really say. but if the card is a standard reference design then flashing it with a GTX770 bios based on reference design card should work. but like I always say if using SLI just try flashing one card at a time,
    so if any problems can use the second to reflash the bad card.

12. Caedo

Caedo Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    Hey, sorry for the delay. Yes, I have one of those 680s; it's actually the weaker of my two cards, but using a straight up stock 770 BIOS lets me beat my better 680 at max clocks using an unlocked 680 BIOS, so that's quite an improvement. I've been using the 770 BIOS that holystar found to run my cards in SLI. At the moment, that 770 BIOS is the only one I know of that lets 680s function properly in SLI and still get the Boost 2.0 goodness.

I'm back on a modified 680 BIOS again, trying to see if I have the NCP4206 voltage regulator on my 680s to unlock voltage to 1.3V and really turn up the heat. I'm already making Lightning owners work to beat me on air. :3eyes:

13. Klapcos

Klapcos Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti @1.5Ghz
    Isn't the 1.3V dangerously high for a reference GTX680?

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Have any of you guys seen a evga 770 ftw 4gb bios anywhere?

15. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Proof ?

I'd think 1.3 is a little high for any long term use for 24/7 gaming with your card. Or are you just after bench runs?

I have no worries about running my Lightning at 1.36v for extended demanding gaming sessions... be a great excuse to get a new 780 Lightning if she blows.

16. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    From my experience, both my cards cooled with a Accelero Hybrid, and im pumping 1.46v into my cards for long term use, they been fine for the last 8months, and still no problems currently. on load my temp never pass 58c, room temp is about 25c

17. Francko1979

Francko1979 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC SLI´ed
    Thanks a bunch holystarlight!

I think ill give it a shot over the weekend and see how it goes.

18. Francko1979

Francko1979 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC SLI´ed
    Awesome Caedo!

I was just telling holystar that Ill give it a run on my cards this weekend and see how it goes.

Ill go with
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/140747/evga-gtx770-2048-130529.html

That one has the boost and SLI working correctly, right? Or are you using another one on EVGA 02G-P4-2682-KR? Im asking cause of yesteday´s update on the post.

Thanks for you reply!

19. Ecurb

Ecurb Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290X 4GB @ XFire
    Hi guys been following this thread with interest :)

I have a bit of a potentially complicated setup to try so thought I'd post up to see if this is possible yet.

Currently have 4 x 4Gb 680's all of which are either cooled by Arctic Hybrid (2 of them) or Antech 620 Kuhler mod (the other 2) Temps are very low as you would expect so the gpu boost 2.0 holds lots of appeal.

The issue i have is that the cards are of varied brands:
    GPU 1 and 2 are both Palit Jetstream 4GB cards
    GPU 3 is an EVGA FTW 4GB card
    GPU 4 is a Gigabyte Windforce 4GB card

So I guess I'm after whether this bios 770 mod is possible given the variety of cards i have in use. GPU Boost 2.0 sounds ideal for these cards to get more out of them given the low temps.

Any help / ideas much appreciated.

Ecurb

20. Caedo

Caedo Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    premature post, sorry...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013