6800U SLI Stuttering without Framerate drop

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dsoden, Aug 29, 2005.

1. dsoden

dsoden New Member

GPU:
    Asus EN6800U x2, SLI
    The problem that I get is a stuttering affect like very short (less than a quarter of a second) pauses. I first noticed this in Mechwarrior 4. I didn't worry about it too much. I figured it was an old game and just wasn't very compatible with SLI. When I disable SLI (not change the profile, but actually uncheck the SLI box and reboot) it smooths right out.

But now I've got the problem in Rome:Total War. I wouldn't expect to have a problem seeing how RTW has a profile in the driver. I'm on version 77.77 which has been working well for me until this.

What's really strange is that using Fraps, I see no framerate drop when the stuttering occurs. The problem doesn't happen all of the time. After a fresh reboot it usually doesn't happen at all, but then within a few hours I start seeing it really bad. I studdied the images closely and it almost seems as though the frames are being created but just not shown on the monitor.

For example, in RTW, I go to the battlefield view of a town and zoom all the way in and watch the people walk around. They take a step or 2, then there is a momentary pause, and then they jump ahead a few steps. They don't suddenly speed up and take the steps to catch up. It's like they took the steps but the images just didn't get displayed, if that makes sense. All the while the framerate stays very steady and high.

The fact that it appears over time made me think it might be resource related but I have 2G of memory and it isn't hitting the hard drive when the stuttering starts. I have 24 running processes when I boot up (and that includes anti virus, which I've disabling didn't help) so I don't have a bunch of useless crap running. I also don't have any heat problems.

One thing that occured to me last night is this motherboard has this thing called PEG. If I understand correctly, this is a feature that automatically overclocks the video cards. I'm going to try disabling that tonight and see if there is any change.

If anyone has seen anything like this, or has any idea's, I'd love to hear about it.

PS. I've also read about different SLI modes that can be selected, such as the new AA modes. These options don't show up in the driver for me. Should they be available on 6800U's?

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2G Corsair Ram
    2 each Asus EN6800U, SLI mode
    WD 74G 10,000 Rpm SATA
    CL Audigy 2
    XP Sp1 updated
    Nvidia 77.77
    Nvidia Motherboard drivers

2. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    First, try to disable fastwrites if it's enabled. Then, try to change the SLI mode for games.

3. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    Bandwidth Issue?

I had this same prob with my 6800U AGP and Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo, i upped the ram to 2gb and havent had the problem since, but seeing as u already have 2gb thats kinda weird. Whens the last time u reformatted? What type of bandwidth are u getting downstream? whats your PF set to?

4. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    x2 EVGA 7800GTX 256 ACSĀ³ SLI
    I also had the same problem...
    I used to only have 1 x 6800gt.. the EVGA models need two power plugs for one card.. I only used one because I did not know it needed both.. it worked fine... Until I got another card..
    once I got the other 6800GT:
    I was playing IL2 forgotten battles...
    The FPS read out @ 60FPS, but it would studder when heavy graphics would come into play.
    I tried everything in the book to get it to work correctly.. Then I decided to plug in the extra power plugs for the cards... Now it works without a prob.

What size PSU are you using? How hot is your cards getting after an hour of play?

I also use the same drivers.. So if installed correctly, I doubt its that..

5. dsoden

dsoden New Member

GPU:
    Asus EN6800U x2, SLI
    Sorry I didn't list it. My power supply is an Antec NEO480. Just to be safe, I ordered a power supply from Nvidia's SLI certified list. We'll see if that does the trick. My temperatures are 74 for the top card and 69 for the bottom with 55 ambient.

6. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    x2 EVGA 7800GTX 256 ACSĀ³ SLI
    try the new power and see if that helps.. you might be pushing the limit on that 480... My local Comp store says, for Ultras, you need at least 550 - 600...

7. goatman.ocau

goatman.ocau New Member

i have thesame problem with a PCI-E 6800 nu 256MB. When i start farcry it will work well for a minute then it will quickly pause every second or so. Then the sound goes all distorted. I've tried reinstalling all the drivers, i've tried 78.11 instead of 80.40. didn't change a thing.
    halflife 2 stutters the sound and frames (similar to farcry, but shorter intervals) after about a minute of gamepley. I'm going CRAZY here!
    mobo is DFI nf4 lanparty

8. dsoden

dsoden New Member

GPU:
    Asus EN6800U x2, SLI
    What's different about mine is that it doesn't affect sound of anything else that is noticeable. I've also desided that it is less of a pause and more of a frame skipping. When it starts happening on Rome Total War, if you watch the trade ships and wagons moving around the map, they speed up and slow down very erraticaly. Normally they move at a slow steady pace. When in the battle map, if I sit in one spot and rotate the camera, it will move smoothly and then suddenly jump ahead about 60 degree. When you watch the camera pan across your troops at the biggining of a battle, it moves along smoothly then skips ahead about 4 or 5 men. It happens every few seconds on an irregular basis.

I no longer believe my problem is related to my power supply. When I first turn the computer on, everything works fine. If I play RTW for about an hour or 2, I'll start having the problem. If I play something else for many hours and then start play RTW, I don't get the problem until I've played RTW for another hour or 2. It's not time of my machine being on, it's time in the game.

Also, once the problem starts, it remains only in RTW. I can exit RTW and run something else and it will run fine. I can run 3dMark05 and it runs fine. Then if I restart RTW again, I have the problem right from the start. Exiting and restarting never fixes it. Only rebooting fixes it.

The driver release notes talk about a known issue with frame skipping in the game Painkiller. I wonder if this could be related to that. I don't have that game so I can't compare to see if it's the same.

Also, does anyone know a way to tell what profile a game is using? I enabled coolbits and followed the instruction on Nvidia's site for modifying existing profiles but I doesn't appear that the game is actually using the modified profile. At least I can't tell. I was trying this for troubleshhooting but noting I change seems to have any affect at all (not just related to my problem). I know that it will not turn on Vsync when I set it in the modified profile so I'm thinking it's still using the predefined profile.