6800NU (LeadTek A400TDH) need jimmor's help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Conflict[CZE], Nov 24, 2005.

1. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Ok, but did you mod the bios in any way ?

And if not, then since I have actually linked many modded asus 6800gt bioses, which particular one is giving you trouble ?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  2. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Well jimmor, thanks for your help.

The BIOS which didnt worked were your 2 ASUS bios and 2XFX bios made by me.

Now, i flashed again with your ASUS 6800GT BIOS and nvflash -4 -5 -6 ASUSGT.ROM and it worked.

I reinstalled right now the drivers and disabled Riva Tuner before doing it.
    It works well.

Now, i should flash it with higher clocks because i forgot to set 440/890 and so, right now is working at 420/880.

Thanks jimmor.

BTW, would you like to have a copy of my original XFX BIOS?
    I would be glad if you check them because they gave me very very good clocks.

EDIT: The ASUS BIOS i used were found in the 6800 timings thread in a link you posted there.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  3. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    No prob's, glad to help !

And yes, if you could link your original bios, plus any modded versions, i'll certainly check them out !

4. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Hey jimmor, well, after trying your BIOS.
    I found at first some artifacts in Need for Speed most wanted.
    So, i decreased a little bit the memory thinking it was the problem.

Then i flashed and entered 3dmark and it gave me artifacts in some parts and then some crashes.

So, i decreased the 3d volts to 1.2 and it gave me again artifacts but this time was much more noticeable.

Then i decreased to 430 the core and tried 3dmark 03 and so i started 3d mark 03 and it gave me a very very horrible BSOD.

So, im thinking what could it be??

If not, im going to flash back to my BIOS and use Riva Tuner until i find a good BIOS for me.

Could you helo me to mod my XFX BIOS?

Can you PM me your hotmail adress so that i can send you my orig BIOS?

5. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb

When I want to make a file available to other people, I normally just upload it to either the nvnews or xtremesystems forums. So why not do the same with your bios file. Then just link it here ??

Also, its normal practice to upload in zip format. And max Filesize is 100k for nvnews, and 200k for xtremesystems !

6. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Do i need to register as a member to post a doc in that forums?

7. Conflict[CZE]

Conflict[CZE] Member

GPU:
    Leadtek A400NU (16x1,6) @ 300/370/700
    Hi Jimmor again!
    Finally, I have known what my problem is caused by.

Do you still remember to my artifacts problems ? I noticed that:

It is caused by some 2D/3D volts or frequencies setting. Because:
    In 370/750 I had many many artifacts, BUT when I set 2D freq not 300, but 370,same as in 3D, most of that horrible artifacts had disappeared !!! And also at 380/820 was situation the same. But, when I tried to lower the 2D clocks, artifacts started to happen. So, in my opinion, I think it's caused by switching 2D/3D mode with different frequencies and/or voltages. And so, If I set core for.ex. 400 in 3D, 3DMarks & games run at 2D core clock !! It didn't switch sometimes (I think in a half cases). Can I set the 2D/3D frequencies and voltages to the same value?? Isn't it dangerous? I think you said somewhere "never set 2D and 3D voltages to the same.."

thank you for your help..
    EDIT: so the card really CAN obtain freqs above 400 for core and mem 800+ ok..

8. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Yes you do !

9. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The main reason I have frequently said "never set 2D and 3D voltages and speeds to the same.." is because it can have a very negative effect on the necessary in-built throttling protection facilities. Which of course just makes it easier to kill a card !

So if your particular card and any driver combination is suffering from artifacts because of randon switching between 2D and 3D modes, then I suggest, using NiBiTor v2.5, you first set the bios's 2D Volts at 1.1v and Speed at 300MHz; then finally disable the active 2D mode by setting the "Change amount of active performance levels", at NiBiTor's "Clockrates" tab, to 1 !

That way any previous switching can't happen any more since your card will now only operate with a single 3D mode !

And no prob's, glad to help !

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  10. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Im not jimmor but, i wouldnt recomend to set 2d speeds and the same 3d speeds.

You could try lowering the voltage. When i set my 2d speeds as the same freqs. as 3d speeds my PC crashes.

11. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Reading through this... is there anything you cant do jimmor?

Do you work the same magic with ATI cards as well?

12. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    There millions of things I can't do. And working magic with ATI cards is one of them !

You could say that since I have pretty much always used Nvidia vga cards, I never had a need to consider modding any ATI types. And which is of course also why i usually visit Nvidia rather than ati forums !

However, because my AGP based setup isn't going to be upgraded to PCI-E any time soon, I will probably have to move over to a ATI card when wanting appreciably more than my current modded 6800le can give. Which also of course means that I will then finally be in the game of modding ATI cards !!

:)

13. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

So, which would be the best ATI way??
    The X800GTO2 flashed to X850XTPE

14. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    When the time comes, I may be asking you, or maybe the ati forum, the same question ?

15. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Ok, jimmor.

I will be glad to help you choose a new GPU.

BTW, i was moving around here and there your 6800GT ASUS bios and finally i found a stable setting.

I found that my GPU has problems when having different clocks in memory in 2d and 3d speeds.
    Then i changed the core clock to 420 because with your BIOS i cant go to 440 at 1.2 or 1.3 volts.
    So, i think im going to 1.4 volts later.

Then i left the timings like that, i think theyre relaxed timings, right? And my memory is being OCing to reach is max but i havent had time to reach it.

I started at 400 and im at 450 right now but i think i can go to 8800 or 900.
    Actually, a friend of yours helped me (Palm521).

Thanks.

16. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    -no text nevermind.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  17. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    ok, I may take you up on that !

Although, because I am maybe also considering switching to a AMD dual CPU setup, I have been looking at a possible intermediate solution of using something like the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 mobo. It is very cheap, and allows both AGP and PCI-E at the same time if wanted. This move would let me run with my current 6800le and DDR ram, and also allow a easy upgrade to a PCI-E vga card if/when eventually forced !

And before everybody jumps on this by saying "...the Asrock is not a good step since it's not an SLI mobo..."; being SLI or not will never for the forseeable future be important to me since something like a single 7800gtx already bottlenecks every CPU out there. So untill CPU/mobo technology gets much better, a current SLI setup, unless for someone using something cheaper like a pair of 66's, is just not cost effective for what it provides.

However back to your problems. Yes, setting 2D/3D clocks at different levels can cause stability problems; especially with newer drivers. Therefore always keep memory same levels, especially since it does no harm to your card to do so.

And as I said before, as a generalisation, running the core at 420 or above should be done with core at 1.4v. This allows a good margin of gpu thermal stability. But on the other hand, such levels also demand good heatsinking; and possibly a need to fit ram sinks to the core volts regulator. Remember that 6800gt and 6800U cards actually have a seperate heatsink covering all regulators. And it's also placed in such a way to benefit from excess airflow from the cards existing fan.

Also, when making any timing values "bigger", you are relaxing them; and hopefully giving yourself a bit more headroom or overclocking potential. However, as said many times before, you will get to a point where an increase in overclocking can not overcome the losses incurred from using larger timing values. So, just like for everybody else, you are NOT looking for outright max memory overclocks. You are in fact looking for your cards timing/overclock "performance sweet spot" .

And if your card's memory can overclock at 880, then with slight relaxing of timings it should definately reach 900. In fact, as a general rule, any card with 2.2ns memory chips should be capable of 900 plus levels.

Ahhhhh, and here I thought Mexico was a very large place. So, it's palm521 that's leading you astray ? :)

Haven't seen palm521 around much these days. Mind you, having now moved up to a 7800gtx, there is probably not much point to these forum's any more ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  18. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Well, i fyou want to kepp your AGP card a little bit more until you upgrade to PCI-E then that mobo should be enough.

Now, talking about your BIOS.
    I managed just 420 but guess what???
    I love your memory timings, i mean, i Have managed 940 mhz in memory withut artifacts!!!! And so, i havent finished yet, i will kepp OCing until max and then decrease by 5mhz and thats all.
    BTW, i hope i can reach 950. Thats a little bit similar to the 6800GT clocks right?????

Then, maybe i will be playing with those 1.4 volts you recommend for going higher than 420, because as you can see, with your BIOS i cannot go further than 420 but with the XFX BIOS i could go to 440.
    But before these, im getting the NV Silencer 5 because as you said, moving voltage is a little bit more dangerous for temps and i dont want to burn my card.

Talking about palm521, yes, Mexico is a very big place but i meet him about 6 months ago when he entered to these forums and i have contact by msn messenger with him and also in other forums but those are mexican forums.

He recommended me to talk with you and thats why i asked for your help.
    BTW, you should consider to PM your msn.

Greetings.

19. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Hi Kain,

Since you are determined to overclock memory to at least 950 levels, I suggest increasing memory volts to around 2.8-2.9 by hard modding the memory volts regulator as shown in the link below. Also, apart from making 950 a guarantee, it should also improve overall memory stability. And with memory at 950+ levels, you are definately in 6800gt territory !

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vmemmod16ir.jpg

And core at 1.4v should definately allow 420+ speeds. However, as prevously mentioned, you should also fix a ramsink to the core volts regulator chips in order to reduce the risk of their premature failure due to overheating.

However, because of the extreme loadings involved, you will find that setting the ultimate core overclock will have a reducing effect on memory max; and vice versa. The better choice is probably to overclock the core first, since, if necessary, memory performance is to some extent also controlable by timing changes ?

20. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80 Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800LE(12p,6v T_T) at 400/910
    Maybe someone can explain to...

i flash my 6800le with 6800 ultra bios.i am unable to boot with 16p w/o artifact before but with this bios i am able to boot w/o artifact.So am afraid to run at 16p,so i disable the quad that i know it is working and leaving the one broken to be enable.Unlike with previous bios where even 12p(using the broken quad) will show artifact,this time i can bench and overclock using the broken pipe...

Maybe i try to bench using 16p after this...

BTW Jimmor,do you any relaxed 68ultra biosi can try?