6800 problems, i think...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by macready, Aug 8, 2005.

1. macready

macready Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 gtx
    hi there folks...

heres my rig..

amd 64 3200+
    gigabyte k8ns ultra 939 (nforce 3)
    1 gb of geil ddr 400 3200 ram
    28gb samsung hardrive
    80 gb seagate barracuda hardrive
    asus 6800 256mb v9999 ge (not strictly a gt)
    windows xp pro, service pack 2

so, heres the deal, some time ago my pc started to suffer from random restarts, i put it down to a few things, so, i changed the mobo and the processer, and, oh, the problem was still there, not as significantly, but it was still there...
    anyway...

after a restart last saturday, i restarted the machine only to find some artifacts on desktop, strange, but invetiably this prooved the perhaps the graphics card wasnt pulling its weight, so, after a few more restarts, the problem still seemed to be there, so, i removed the card, popped in a geforce 4 mx 400, and, of course the problem went...

now, after reading up on some problems with 6800s etc, i decided to pop off its heat sink, and blow out all the dust, so, after doing this, i popped the card in, and started the machine...

i would stress at this point i had done NO damage to the card, the heat sink and been replaced properly, there was no mis haps in that dept....

i turned on the machine, it got to the "verifying pool m data" and then it simply said "error loading os"

right...

i popped the geforce 4 back in, started the machine.....same error, so, i wiped the c drive, re installing windows as i went, with the geforce 4 in there, everything is fine....

so, assuming the card was proper ****ed, i took it to a mate at work and asked him to test it for me..

i just got off the phone with him and he says the card is fine, hes says hes tested it and there no artifacts or anything of the such...

so, now im proper stumped....

the only thing left in my case it could be is the power supply....its a magna 500w atx model, a see through one, which i did buy second hand....

could this be the source of the problem...?

if anyone on here could throw some ideas and suggestions my why cus im truelly starting to grab at straws here....

cheers in advance fellas

tank

2. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    I think it is the PSU if u changed everything, and had the problems. Then it worked at ur friends? Huh...Weird.

Get a brand name Power supply with atleast 450W or more, and atleast 20Amps on the 12v rail.

3. macready

macready Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 gtx
    its what im thinking, although, im gonna test it on somebody elses rig too, just to make double sure....

i dont think drivers could cause this sort of mess...

please, anyone else wanna throw something in, im all ears...

4. T8000

T8000 Master Guru

GPU:
    GF6800 LE 128 MB 12p_softmod, fanless (24dB_total)
    AGP setting

It could also be a wrong AGP setting, like SBA, FW or AGP8x, that your chipset only supports partly.

Just disable SBA and FW and use AGP4x mode to see if it helps.

(If you have PCI-E graphics, don't bother trying these settings, as they will not change anything.)

A new PSU, may also help. 600W OEM units are usually as good as expensive 450W units, while costing a lot less.

5. macready

macready Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 gtx
    can psus really cause these sort of issues??

is my power supply a bad make??

6. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    Are you using two sticks of ram? If so, take one out, reboot and tell me if it still freezes. I think I might know what the problem is. (hint: it's your mobo)

7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    970 GTX
    quote from macready:
    i would stress at this point i had done NO damage to the card, the heat sink and been replaced properly, there was no mis haps in that dept....

i turned on the machine, it got to the "verifying pool m data" and then it simply said "error loading os"

pool error refers to memory pool, i believe it would also account for restarts check it out try one stick then the other seperatly see what happens. Good Luck

8. macready

macready Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 gtx
    thats the thing, the only time i ever EVER got that error was when i put my 6800 back in with the old power supply....

since then i put a new 550 w one in, with plenty of volts on the rail, and ive only had 2 restarts since i fitted it, which was well over a month ago now.....

this week, im going to be purchasing a new mobo and graphics card anyway, but, im still rubbing my chin about this ram, its geil ram, the blue stuff you get from over clockers....

any suggestions???