6800 NU Overclocking 2D for higher fanspeed?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sgtiger, Feb 17, 2005.

1. sgtiger

sgtiger New Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800 NU (16/6) @ 400/800
    6800 NU Overclocking 2D for higher fanspeed and lower temps?

So I have an EVGA 6800NU. Basically when it runs overclocked the fan speed bumps up a lot, and lowers temps. I've found that if I overclock my 2d core to 350mhz (my 3D core is at 400MHZ), it lowers my idle temp to about 45'c from 57-58'c.

Is this a bad idea or a good idea?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  2. PcKSnipE

PcKSnipE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT with Nv-5
    Wow, thats nice, i think i'll try that as well on my 6800gt, it does seem like a nice idea

3. brightside

brightside Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 6800
    If your getting lower temps then it should be fine. I have my 2D speed at 400mhz on my 5950 Ultra when regular speed is 300 mhz.

4. HowlingPhoenix

HowlingPhoenix Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800nu 16/6 @ 360/800 - Forceware 78.03
    This really does work, I oc'ed my 6800nu 2d settings to 350 from 325 and my idle temp dropped from 53C to 44C. Tomorrow i'm adding a fan controller and a side fan, I wonder if I can get it even lower?

5. NvidiaRox

NvidiaRox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280
    o sweet worked for me 2 i am at 38 degrees idle with my 6800 and Zalman vf700-alcu HSF

6. NvidiaRox

NvidiaRox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280
    well lowering the clocks on my 2d did ne ways didnt change my fan speed but a good find

7. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    i don't OC my 3d clock, will it cause trouble if I only OC the 2d clock? and if i do that will i have to OC the 3d too? my temps are high (60 in idle and 70 in peak), i'd love to see them drop.

8. HowlingPhoenix

HowlingPhoenix Member

GPU:
    Wow thats pretty high for idle, have you tried cleaning up a little inside your case, organizing wires and such? Thats what I did not long ago when my idle temps were about 57-58 and it dropped them to 53 just from increasing air flow to the card. To answer your question..my 2d oc seem to stick better if I oc'ed my 3d the same.

9. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    i guess i'll buy a little fan and have it blow inside the case... i wonder if it's possible...

10. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, I hate to tell you this but it only lowers your idle temps. The cards have different fan settings for 2D and 3D. Normally 2D is set at 50% maximum speed and 3D is all the way up. Raising the 2D speeds increased the fan speeds for 2D things, like the Windows desktop but won't lower temps in games.

If you would like to increase fan speeds, or monitor them, you can download Gainward's EXPERTool and change them in there.

11. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Raising my 2d clcok speed certainly helped lower my idle temps - now running at 39C. Annoying cos it used to be lower before I installed the 71.81s - going back to 66.77 didn't make much of a difference sadly.

Any advice as to what I should set the fans to in expertool? At the moment it's 100% on 3d and 60% on 2d. The fan started making a lot more noise after I launched the program, but I didn't see a difference in my 2d idle temps/

12. sgtiger

sgtiger New Member

GPU:
    Actually this is normal depending on your card.

If you have an EVGA, it only has one small fan and a kinda small heatsink. It has higher all around temps. The BFG OC has two fans and a beefier heatsink, and idles low 50's. It will also depend on the case temperature. If you live in Nevada and experience high temperatures all day long, it will run higher. Out here in NYC it's freezing, so lower temps.

I guess it was a decent find, but I mainly wanted to know if it will kill fan life. I suppose even if it does, it's very easy to replace the fan, and we'll hear a ballbearing go out I'm sure.

13. HowlingPhoenix

HowlingPhoenix Member

GPU:
    I dont know about anyone else, but this certainly helped my idle AND my load temps before I was getting a little more than 60c but now I can play for hours and my card barely goes over 55c.

14. mkygod

mkygod Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GS CO
    I read somewhere there that the 2d and 3d speeds should be the same for optimal performance, any truth to that?

15. HowlingPhoenix

HowlingPhoenix Member

GPU:
    That might be true, for some reason my settings won't stick unless the 2d and 3d are oc'ed the same. Could just be my PC though...

16. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Yes, it has been said that for optimal performance 2D and 3D speeds should be the same. I suspect it's for games that have both 2D and 3D aspects. This way they can stay at the same pace without having to wait for one side or the other to do something. Considering my 2D speed can go far beyond my 3D speeds I never really looked into it. I see no need for my 2D speeds to be over 475/1175, so I just matched them with my 3D speeds to make sure.

17. sgtiger

sgtiger New Member

GPU:
    So I've been doing this now for 2-3 months, no problems that I can see yet. Vid temps have remained lower.

Only deal now is that it's warming up here in NYC, so temps are slowly increasing overall.

Any other success stories? :)