6800 GT review.......

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Kaizen, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Kaizen

Kaizen Banned

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT @ 410/1.12
    its just a little strange. after reading the guru3d review of the GT one walks away with the impression the GT is about as fast as a X800 XT. when i read other reviews its very clear the GT is slower than the X800 XT. I think using a 2.8Ghz P4 is partly to blame. I think a more accurate comparison would invlove a CPU thats worthy of these new cards. Id like to see the same review with a 3800+ or 3400+ Athlon 64.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Now what did the review state several times ?

3. Kaizen

Kaizen Banned

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT @ 410/1.12
    I know, CPU limited. But I think readers will get the wrong impression about the difference between both cards, even though you did state CPU limitation. Readers will remember numbers in their head, filled with countless other numbers from other reviews, they are not likely to remember CPU limitation written in words. Most also just look at the benches and dont bother reading the comments.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Indeed. remember, this is coming all out of my pocket constantly we are not a highly funded Tom's hardware or Anand. I do not have the money to constantly upgrade to the latest high-end CPU etc.

But: what did the x800 preview state ?

Aah, don't let me tease you. Next to me is a test system from AMD -> Athlon 64 3800+ It has to be returned next week though.

As we speak I'm a lot of benchies on x800 Pro, XT PE, 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra. Hopefully I'll have some results live by Wednesday.

Still, it's kinda crazy, we use test systems that are comparable with systems your and I have as a normal user. A 2.8 Ghz should have been sufficient for the new generation. Yet it simply is not.

The review however is representative for todays fast systems.

5. General Lee

General Lee High-tech Redneck

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 650tiBOOST 2GB
    So, Hilbert has to constantly pay for the hardware he reviews? That kinda sucks, seeing as this is probably the best place to get an unbiased review, even if Hilbert doesn't go into as many details as other sites with pages and pages of graphs, numbers, tables, etc. That's another reason for everyone to click those ad links, so clickety clickety click, lol.

It sucks that the best graphics cards are starting to outpace other hardware to the extent that we can't fully utilize them. Lol, I'm just wondering when we'll have to start using extra cooling on our sound cards and network cards.

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Hey, Hilbert, I dont know if u remember my debate about whether to get XT or ultra after your review, but I made up my mind and have gone for a 6800Ultra. Should be here by the end of the week. I think your point about supporting PS3.0, and future tech is very valid, especially as I wont be buying a card for a LONG time after this.
    I know you would have gone for a GT, but I had the cash, and seeing as I have never had 'the fastest' card before (had 9700pro when 9800pro came out, and only got the 9800pro cos I broke the 9700pro, after their prices crashed and the XT was out) so I figured, what the hell!

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Awesome choice, I'm surprised you are upgrading though.
    Your Radeon 9800 Pro is still a top notch card, read excellent videocard.

Unless you sold it for good money that is :)

Anyway, you'll be very happy with the performance, it's a beast !

8. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    yeah, I managed to sell it for only £20 less than I bought it. The only reason i bought that card was because I messed up my old one back in feb/march, and needed a replacement quick. 9800pro had just crashed i price so i just went for it, even though i was meant to be waitin out for one of these new cards! At least i havnt lost too much money on it eh?
    I also just got a new job and a payrise, so i thought i would treat myself ;)

9. Sweet, Mike! 20 pounds to use the card for 4 or 5 months? That's a DEAL.....

Not to mention you're getting a kick ass card now! WOOT!

Happy gaming!

10. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    yeah, its this place we have here in the UK called computer exchange, they are still relatively small, but there is one near me. They buy used pc hardware, and sell it on and extortionate prices. They are still selling 9800pros (second hand) for £200, when u can get em brand new for about £140!!! LOL! anyhow, thats good for me, cos they bought my 9800pro off me for £142!!!! :D

11. You need to stand outside thier property and say "HEY! TRY ONLINE, YA WA*KERS!"

heh

12. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Hilbert.. thanx for the review with the 3800+.... thats some crazy improvements in the FPS!!!

13. Kaizen

Kaizen Banned

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT @ 410/1.12
    nice. The XT is a powerhouse. Im glad to see the GT still ownz in id's opengl based RTCW. I hope that trend continued with Doom 3. Now wheres my GT from best buy?