6770m drivers :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Auradesru, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    When I got my drivers to finally work and installed correctly and played bf3. Then overclocked my gpu... It messed up my frames again on other games like gmod or CS:S. So I reinstalled my drivers with driver sweep and such and kept getting errors... and screen res would change. When I installed the driver.
    [​IMG]
    I saw HP and googled 8.83.6.2-110412a-117442C-HP..
    I saw 11.7 drivers..
    I got confused and came on here to ask if all my things are up to date ._.
    if it isnt updated and such
    Could you give me a guide to uninstalling and installing/updating drivers.
    Also a download link to the latest 6770m driver too :(
    Thank you guru3d forums :(

Edit: I run on a fixed gpu mode
    So I use my 6770m always
    and I did update my bios F.1a

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    I have the Envy 17 3D and my son has the Pavillion with the 6770m. There is a trick to it. First, go to: http://www.*******.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
    and install Driver Sweeper. Boot into safe mode hitting F8 on bootup, when you see the Hit ESC to enter setup...get into Windows safe mode and run Driver sweeper...simply uninstall all AMD graphics drivers.

Then go to the HP website here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5112006&sw_lang=

Install the HP 8.882 version of the drivers...remember that the HP release also includes the drivers for your Intel HD card as well. Now here is the trick to it all...you don't uninstall drivers to update the AMD drivers. You install on top of the HP drivers so as to keep the Intel drivers there. Get the Catalyst 12.1 preview drivers here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=355603

These are a bit older than the newest previews, but on my Envy they are the fastest drivers I have used to date. My 3DMark11 score with these particular build is 2005, which for laptop without overclocking is pretty impressive.

Now...there is a trick to keeping your switchable graphics fully functional. Once the HP drivers are installed and working properly, install the preview drivers...during installation choose CUSTOM and follow the prompt. When you get to make choices, choose everything EXCEPT Catalyst Control Center. Your AMD drivers will update to the newer release, but CCC is from the HP drivers and maintains the switching between cards when power or battery is used.

Give this a try...works for me every time. The drivers for the Envy are about six months older than yours and I am now runnin the 12.1 preview with no issues...AND...when plugged in...AMD 6850M, when on battery...Intel HD3000.

Try it...

3. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    Thanks..I will try that :D
    I never knew you installed on top of the HP driver ._.
    becuz I used to have a 4200 but I never updated the drivers because I couldnt play any other game then source. so this driver thing is really new to me :p
    thanks!!

4. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Or you can download Leshcat's driver and install it independently without HP driver. Works for me. :)

5. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
  6. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah u can, install it on top of HP driver.

7. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    So I would....
    Go into Safe Mode
    Uninstall the drivers I have right now
    So go to control panel and unistall CCC
    and have driver sweep remove my reg and files
    restart into safe mode
    install that Hp driver thing
    install AMD Catalyst 12.1a
    done?
    right?
    I wanna make sure I get everything exact :(

8. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    1. Uninstall everything with AMD Catalyst Install Manager(CIM), reboot.
    2. Enter safemode and use driversweeper, reboot.
    3. Install latest HP AMD driver, reboot.
    4. Install latest Catalyst driver.

9. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Bobmitch: You have it wrong!
    You must uncheck display driver not CCC and then update display drivers manualy from hardware manager!

Xacid0: also wrong. You can´t simply install normal drivers over the switchable...

Or download leshcat and install it. Then you don´t need original HP drivers. Make clean installation...

10. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    So for all who wants to update switchable drivers!

1) Download original drivers from your manufacturer.
    2) Install them.
    3) Download normal drivers.
    4) Start installation.
    5) Choose Custom installation.
    6) Uncheck AMD display drivers.
    7) After installation and reboot go to the hardware manager.
    8) Update manualy drivers for AMD card (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-drivers-windows-7.htm)
    INF file you can find in folder C:\AMD\"folder with drivers"\packages\drivers\W76A_INF (for windows 7 and Vista x64)
    9) Reboot.

Now you have newest drivers with switchable support. In CCC you can maybe still find information about version of the old drivers. It´s normal. If you start for example GPU-Z the version of drivers is correct.

11. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    I just want drivers for the 6770m
    I never ever will use the switchable graphics...
    So right now I'm still clueless on what you gaiz are saying ._.

12. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Then maybe normal installation work.
    How you switch to descrete graphic? If in bios, maybe it will be OK.

Why you dont use switchable methode?

The instructions are also for others which will find this topic :)

13. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    I get tired of AMD not detecting the programs I want to switch too. I usually have to manually go into it and find the exe and do ****... It gets to the point where I get so annoyed.. I giveu p
    I'll use the amd gpu and not have to get these problems.

14. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    OK. But there is newer version of muxless drivers, where you can switch graphics in catalyst control centre, like in bios :)

I thinked, that HP has this newer driver. You just must set it in catalyst control centre:
    Open CCC
    In right top corner click on preferences and choose advanced view.
    Then in menu on the left choose power->switchable graphics method and change the setings to manually or based on power surce. Apply and confirm.
    Then go to the left power menu->switchable graphics and tick automatically select power-saving GPU when on battery. Apply...

Of course you must have in bios switchable graphic mode and installed switchable drivers.
    I use it and it work well. When I have notebook in power adapter, always it use dedicated graphic. When I run on battery it use only integrated graphic :)

15. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    I've been doing that since i got my my DV6 7 months ago. :banana:

@Auradesru
    Not that hard actually.. just install it on top of HP driver. Also, the latest driver from HP for HD 6770M is v8.882.2.3000, 338.97MB.

I don't get it what u meant by "I get tired of AMD not detecting the programs I want to switch too." If u really on FIXED switching and have AMD GPU running, u won't have that problem.

16. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    That was answer to my question, why he don´t use switchable methode :)

Interesting. I have Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 with HD6630M and Intel HD graphic (Intel i3 processor) and every normal installation over switchable drivers always broke the switching and the drivers said, that in the notebook there isn´t ATI graphic and I also didn´t have Intel drivers. Result - totaly broken.

17. Auradesru

Auradesru Active Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270x
    So I did wut
    bobmitch
    Told me to do
    I got 12.1 preview installed and such..
    So I did
    Safe Mode
    Driver sweep
    Restart
    started windows normally
    Installed HP HD drivers
    restart
    INstall 12.1 preview drivers
    restart
    I cant open CCC now D:

18. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    When I uninstall, I let Driver sweeper do it all in safe mode. I don't uninstall the drivers in Windows, because there are always leftover remnants to interfere. Simply uninstall AMD drivers in Safe mode....reboot...and before we do the whole thing again...turn off your antivirus. I have had issues with BitDefender and now Kaspersky not letting AMD drivers completely write to the registry. I do all my installs, for ever my Nvidia dekstop card with Kaspersky off!

Follow the procedure and it should work. Also make sure to check your Program Files(X86) folder for anything ATI / AMD and also Program Files folder and Program Data file. Driver sweeper should take care of it...but sometimes you might find leftovers...

Once you have the HP drivers installed...do not uninstall them...install on top of them. Since you are not intending to use switchable graphics...you can try installing the original way I suggested, which will leave your CCC in switchable state OR...install everything from 12.1 and see if you get the new CCC. If you do...switchable graphics will be manual. PSU or Battery, my machine was stuck on AMD unless I chose to switch in CCC.

19. xacid0

xacid0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Find ccc-core-static.msi in ..\Packages\Apps\CCC2\Core-Static\, right click and choose Repair/Install.