6700K Delid

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by GroinShooter, Nov 22, 2016.

1. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    So a couple of days ago I built my first ever custom watercooling loop and after booting up plus some testing I found my 6700K was still reaching insanely high temps for the condition it was running in.
    Watercooling parts I used:

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 Res+Pump
    EK-Supremacy EVO Block
    Alphacool 360 Rad

The CPU was clocked at 4.5ghz at 1.32 vcore and it would go as high as 85 celcius when being ran in LinX with custom watercooling :frown:

I thought something has to be wrong with the TIM Intel put in my chip. Having delidded a 3770K before using the vice + hammer method I decided to dig out my 6700K and give it a good whacking. As I got it out of the MB I noticed one corner of the CPU was slightly bent, oh well, anyway I proceeded with the project. Damn was it a lot more harder to snap the IHS off the Skylake chip but it did eventually come off just fine. After applying Coollaboratory Liquid Pro and putting everything back together the CPU reaches max 52 celcius :eek3: gg Intel. Anyway, I'm glad this dropped my temps as low as this - overclocking to the skies calls!

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe good call, and lucky too ;) Grats for the success!

I guess the bend it already had probably was the problem, increasing space between the headspreader and the CPU itself at some point, crippling thermal interaction.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Delidding has to be a huge risk with skylake with the thin wafer right?

Anyway goodjob though. I wouldn't wanna risk it myself :D.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Back in the day, there was some product we back lapped to 0.009in
    because of die cracking during testing after package assembly. This was on a FPBGA die size of approx 200mm sq. Believe it or not, a thicker die is more prone to stress cracking than a thinner die.

5. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Thanks, could that slight bend really cause something like that? Even as the bend is on the corner of the CPU where the small orientation triangle is located, which on the PCB is an area out of contact with the IHS.

At least it's said to be. Can't really find enough solid evidence though, just some reports of breaking and people recommending to use the razor method rather than hammer+vice. I was a bit more worried of putting the Skylake chip through the vice+hammer method but other than being a bit tighter-glued than my 3770K it came apart quite effortlessly.

6. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Me and a couple of friends got a rockit delid-tool, 10€ / guy and we delidded everyones cpu. We didnt want to risk it with vice+hammer or razor
    Cheap, safe and everyone is happy :)