6700K @4.9GHZ @1.4V - Too high? Also question about Volta and SLI performance.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nateluthje, Oct 23, 2017.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

Just wanted some advice. I recently bought a H110i (GT) extreme cooler because the bearing in my kraken x61 went and I couldn't find the reciept for warranty, and I have OC'd my processor to 4.9GHZ @1.4V. I have ran ROG Realbench for an 3 hours, temps were below 70 degrees - with ambient temperature at 20 degrees C,

Is this too high a voltage to run. I was a bit worried so I'm now running 4.8GHZ @1.38V. Tested again, temps max are 62 degrees.

I only get 1-2 fps difference in games @4.9GHZ so I thought that at a lower voltage and lower clock speed, I'm not really losing much performance, and getting lower temps. I used Core Temp to test the temperature BTW.

System specs are:

6700K @4.8Gghz @1.38V
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
    Asus strix GTX 1080SLI - 1 x STRIX 1080-08G gaming, other card is ROG STRIX GTX 1080 11GBPS-08G-gaming. Reason for the 2 different cards is that I had to return one for warranty and since they don't make the Strix 08G gaming, they gave me the ROG STRIX GTX 1080 11GBPS card instead. So I got a faster and better card for free.
    32Gb Corsair Vengence DDR4-3000mhz ram.
    Corsair 110i GT water cooler
    Thermaltake V71 case.

Also, I am thinking of upgrading to VOLTA in 2019- when they bring out their high performance cards (similar to 1080 to 1080Ti). I heard that Volta is supposed to be coming out Q2 2018 - correct me if I'm wrong please. I use my system for gaming and was wondering if a single Volta - the when they bring out the "enthusiast" version will be able to run 4K @Ultra with 1 card. With the newer games coming out - metro and Cyberpunk 2077. I'm just speculating at the moment, as these cards are not out yet and we have nothing to go on, but I'm just asking the question as a "hypothetical" guys, that's all. I'd really LOVE to be able to just run the single card, and not have to worry about SLI.

Oh, with the 2 different cards, my SLI performance drops to around 77-80%, even with the correct SLI compatability selected in NVIDIA profile inspector. Is this normal?

Thank you, and all replies appreciated.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Temp is fine.
    Voltage is fine as long as temps stay good and as long as that is really the max voltage.
    Check with Prime95 to be sure the cpu is being pushed hard enough.

How you check the voltage is key.
    What you set it to isnt what it will get due to many factors and some tools wont report it correctly either.
    Its best to use the tools designed for your motherboard by the mfr to read the load voltage.
    The tool must not say VID. If it says VID that is not what the CPU is getting.

3. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Thank you, I have dropped the voltage and clock speed to 4.8Ghz @1.38V and have ran prime 95 for 24 hours and it is stable. Max temps are 62 degrees. I only get 1-2 FPS more in games at 4.9Ghz, so I thought i'd run a lower clock speed, with lower voltage and temps to preserve chip. I can't afford another chip at the moment, so for the sake of 1-2Fps extra, not really worth it I think.

4. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    And what voltage at 4.7?
    Do you use manual voltage all the time or you use adaptive voltage?

5. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I have ran prime 95 for 24hours, VID is 1.27V, @4.9Ghz, manual voltage of 1.4V, temps on the hottest core (core 2) are 67 degrees. I think I am happy with that. I could "try" and push to 5ghz, because I think I have a good chip, but I also think it's down partly to my cooler. HW Monitor says the voltage that my chip is getting is 1.4 volts. I run mostly ambient temp of 21 degrees. I haven't had my system hang yet. I did have a kraken x61, but the cooling capacity was far worse than the 110i extreme. All in all I am happy with the setup.