670 SLI & futureproof

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Deleted member 213629, Nov 1, 2012.

1. With new tech always on the horizon, I'd like your opinion on if GTX 670 SLI is a somewhat "futureproof" solution, or if I'm better off waiting, selling my current 670, and going SLI with whatever's upcoming from NVIDIA (I'm not interested in any solution from AMD - period.)

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Two 670's would be sufficient for now; but future-proof? A loosely used term in the tech world imho.

AMD reckons their next line of GPU's will be twice as fast as their current - so holding off might be a good idea.

However, there is always a line of hardware that surpasses the previous and even the next generation. Nvidia have nailed tessellation with their 6xx prior to their 5xx, and AMD are getting a LOT better with their drivers and are tapping more performance from their 7xxx line.

Hard to say really.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. hmm... alright, thanks for the input :)

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Active Member

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    Future proof is impossible in an industry that obsoletes its previous products within a few years. A pair of 670's will age relatively well in the sense you'll be able to play games for quite a long time, gradually reducing graphic fidelity to compensate for lack of performance.

There is a good chance that the 670's would be much faster than any of the major consoles next releases ensuring a life time of at least 7 or 8 years at console level graphics if the machine itself lasted that long.

But it wont play all future games, it can't possibly do because we don't even have the hardware features that these games will use. The best strategy is really to keep buying where you can afford and plan to upgrade regularly. Because there is nothing you can buy today that will not be surpassed in a years time.

5. gotcha, I'm mainly just hoping to get another year out of them at least with most content on high/ultra at 1080p/60fps or so...usually doesn't cost me too much to upgrade when I do since I just end up selling my old hardware and covering the difference for the cost of the new tech, which normally isn't that much if I time it right and don't wait too long to sell...

6. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    I just got my first SLI setup and really for gaming I dont think its worth it.

Other may disaggree, but i get more problems in sli then running a single card.

for example games such as, max payne, skyrim and future soldier all ran better when I disabled SLI.

So Ive been thinking about getting rid of my second 670..

7. Zoz

Zoz Member

GPU:
    2x 580 @ 950/2100
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Do you not have Vsync enabled?
    I own Future Solder and it has positive scaling, as do the vast majority of main****** games...

8. Zoz

Zoz Member

GPU:
    2x 580 @ 950/2100
    Your question lacks sufficient detail to be answered. What resolution do you run? Do you intend to switch to 3D at some point? Do you require locked 60FPS, or can you tolerate dips below 60? Just how long do you need the 670's to last? 3 years? longer?

While I can't read the future, I think a good frame of reference is the GPU's that will be powering the PS4/Xbox 3. Your GPU's are significantly faster than what will be powering them.

I have 2x 580's, and am not anticipating any need to upgrade for many years, but I only run 1080p...