670 gtx does not want to fold

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Sash, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    So i am finally back to the green team after a 3 years break, i wanted to do something useful with CUDA other than stupid physx games and nvidia optimized games, but i have bad luck, my GPU does not want to fold, what can i do?
    I already have the latest gpus.txt and it sees it, but FAH does not want to put it to work, ALTHOUGH, evga precision x shows that the GPU is in 3d mode
    [​IMG]

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
  3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    But i already wrote in the OP that i already have that gpus.txt in the client, and it sees my gtx 670

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Judging from the screenshot you provided, you may have jumped to a too early conclusion.
    You usually have to wait for a couple of minutes until the core hits 1% mark before you can see the ETA, PPD, and TPF information.
    If your monitoring app shows it's on 3D clocks and with (usually) 100% usage, then just wait for a couple of minutes.

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    ok il wait, i just gonna mention that it started to fold continusly for 18 hours, as in i started to fold 18 hours ago once i had set the gpu, so the smp and gpu tasks both stared 18 hours, you can see that the smp reached 30% while the gpu has not even started

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  6. iancook221188

GPU:
    soz about that is the gpu running at 100% the TPF should be no more than 10min

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Now that is weird.
    Even on my 560 Ti it's rarely over 5 minutes on TPF.
    You probably should open a thread on the F@H forum regarding this problem.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    He's having the same issue with his GTX670 that I'm having with my HD7870....and likely for the same reason. Lack of proper support. Some people manage to get lucky and fold....some of us, end up being unable.

9. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Officially, Kepler support is only for Beta Team Members (Thread). Issues are being worked on but there isn't any ETA as to when it will be released to the public.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    What about the HD7K series?

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    well i wish i could have gotten more precise help, but here you are sykozis, a solution that might help you, it helped me, and i am happily folding, well my 670 gtx is not so happy lol

Go in the client's Configure wnidow, click on Slots tab, click on gpu (here is important that you actually have the updated gpu.txt file), Edit, and bellow in the extra slot options click Add, and for the name use "client-type" and vale "beta". Save all, close the client, then you must to delete your work unit for the GPU, JUST that, if you delete whole work folder you delete the CPU work, so find the ID of the work of GPU, and in the work folder there will be a folder with the id number, mine was id 01 so i deleted the 01 folder.
    Restart the client, and it will get a new WU for the GPU, and for me after 5 minutes of torturing the GPU, it reached 1% already! this thing is fast!

Here's is the source, in case i am being an idiot and can't type well in english: http://www.overclock.net/t/1271684/...-a-nvidia-6xx-series-keplar-gpu#post_17513249

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  12. iancook221188

GPU:
    good find sash glad you got working

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You did fine. Still not working, but at least it's try now. So, at least a step closer. TY Sir.

14. loop29

loop29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    I´m having the same problem with my Gigabyte GTX670. I´ve set the extra slot option as described but it still doesn´t want to fold :bugeye:

Below is what my logfile looks like:

I´ve read through the post on overclocker.net but I can´t figure out what´s going on. I guess the Fahcore_15 is up to date in the v7 client, so no replacement of the core program is needed, but I thought it might be worth checking. I can´t wait to see how the 670 is performing for folding. On paper it shouldn´t be better then a GTX580 but I still would like to find out.... meh.

Thanks for any hints and support

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i guess you can delete the GPU work folder and try again?

16. loop29

loop29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    I did that already ... but after you mentioned that I may do it again I checked on the numbering schemes and wasn´t sure anymore if I deleted the right folder.
    Turns out numbers are exactly the opposite for slot ID´s and WU ID´s so I deleted the wrong folder at first.
    Long story short, it´s crunching away just fine now. :nerd:

Thanks for your help

I might shoot some photos and load them up from my latest build. I love the SSD, will never go back to a HDD for system drive. It´s unbelievable how fast the system starts up now.

Cheers

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    yep ssd are good but it not recommended to fold on the if you can move everything to do with the folding on to a hdd it just extra ware on the drive. I think one of my ssd are failing mite be the controller as some time it does not show up in the bois so the rail array fails to boot have not had the folding that but raid does not have trim (on x58 anyway)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    yea move your folding data to a HDD, i think you had the option to choose the data folder location when you installed the F@H client under Advanced setup